new IIHS interactive map for child restraint laws

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That is cool! Some of their wording choice is sometimes confusing ("not permissible" under "adult belts" for some states, even ones with very lax child restraint laws, for example-- hard to figure out exactly what IS permissible there sometimes) and their color choice is... interesting, I'd be interested to know why they chose the colors that way. But mostly it's fun. And horrifying, in some cases. ;)

waterbaby

Thanks for this! I stopped linking to the older one because it was outdated for some states.

(Shaking head)

The green and light blue states make me..... upset. :(

Pixels

Holy Cow did you see the fine for Nevada? $500 :eek:

I think that's not too horrible. It's pretty high, but at least it'll get your attention, YK? It's a lot better than $10, $20, or $25. That's just a slap on the wrist. You'd probably have to get closer to $100 for most people to really take notice -- and this is something they should take notice for.

There was a conversation at my tech class during a break. I didn't catch all of it, but I believe what was said is that in one of the New England states there were stricter laws about transporting animals (esp. in the beds of pickups) than human children. They actually used that comparison to help push the better child restraint laws through.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I think that's not too horrible. It's pretty high, but at least it'll get your attention, YK? It's a lot better than $10, $20, or $25. That's just a slap on the wrist. You'd probably have to get closer to $100 for most people to really take notice -- and this is something they should take notice for.

There was a conversation at my tech class during a break. I didn't catch all of it, but I believe what was said is that in one of the New England states there were stricter laws about transporting animals (esp. in the beds of pickups) than human children. They actually used that comparison to help push the better child restraint laws through.

yeah that:thumbsup:

Evolily

That's not all that accurate- here first time is a $50 fine, which is waved if you show up with an approved seat :rolleyes: . You know the people I know who HAVE perfectly good seats but don't use them? Anyway, after that it's a $100 fine for additional violations. My cousin, when she didn't have her daughter restrained at all, got a real nice cop who took her in for an eons old warrant- told her that she wouldn't have been arrested had she not had her daughter bouncing around in the back seat.

Last edited:

MomToEliEm

If the Texas booster law passes this session, it will change the fine from:
An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $100 or more than $200
to:
An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than $25

Even with the reduced fine amount, I am still okay with that as at least the law will be written out so Texans will see the minimum they should be doing (regardless of if they do it).

Kat_Momof3

I like Oregon... their law is the only really good one... not perfect, since rearfacing should be higher... but the rest is better than all the other states.

momtoirs

Minnesota is a "green" state -- once you have that magical 4th birthday, you can just use the seatbelt.:eek: We do have a new law that is working its way through the system. It passed the Senate. Nothing has happened in the house since March 12 -- its been making the committee rounds. I'm pretty sure the governor doesn't like the bill.

You can go to Minnesota Legislature. The House Bill is HF0267 and the Senate Bill is SF0099.

Tina

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC