Isn't this too high?

HEVY

UPDATE: New pics below.

Isn't there something with the ear to determine.
Picture208-1.jpg

Picture209-1.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Shaunam

I don't think the ears matter as far as the straps are concerned. They say "at or above" and I think anyone would recommend the NEXT highest slot, rather than just any old slot just cause it's above. For her, I'd recommend the slot below the highest. But in any case, having it in the highest slot isn't dangerous as far as I know, just having it in the closest one would be the best fit. Not that long ago, many convertibles would only allow you to use the highest slots ffing, even if they were above the child's head. :shrug-shoulders:

LEAW

I asked that once too, because I needed my kids to be able to share a seat for a day, and it was better to be too high FF or too low RF than to be wrong.

HEVY

I need one of our techs ;) cause the one lower, to me, feels just at her shoulder, sometime slightly above or lower, but not accurate enough for me to put it there.
I know it looks like it shouldn't be there, but probably is OK.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I need one of our techs ;) cause the one lower, to me, feels just at her shoulder, sometime slightly above or lower, but not accurate enough for me to put it there.
I know it looks like it shouldn't be there, but probably is OK.

It's not so high as to be a problem, but unless the cover slots are waaaay off from the actual shell slots, I think you can move it down one set.

Shaunam

Obviously, I'm not there to actually see it, but it looks like she's just over the 2nd slot and not even close to the third slot. I don't see how she'd ever be over the 3rd slot. :confused:

But since you are there and can actually see it, it's going to be your call. When in doubt, move it up.

Oh, btw, I'm a tech, I just never bothered to get my name turned green. ;)

daycaremom2002

I agree. It looks like there is another slot between her shoulder and the top slot. Maybe a picture with something stuck in the slot( a pen or ruler) so that it is clearer where the slots actually are.

That being said, I have kids who ride in seats with the harness almost that high on them. I have no problem with it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I also see a slot which is questionable, a slot which is just fine, and a top slot. I would use the "just fine" slot.

(And it may be because of the strap geometry, but I'm guessing I could pinch a horizontal fold.)

HEVY

Shauna, what I meant by needing a tech was I wish I had one of you here! ;)
When I put my hand or ruler on her shoulder it is level with the third slot. I look at the pic and I see that the third is higher than it actuallt is. I have to figure another way to take the pic. And yes the clover is about an inch higher than the actual slot.

Shaunam

Shauna, what I meant by needing a tech was I wish I had one of you here! ;)
When I put my hand or ruler on her shoulder it is level with the third slot. I look at the pic and I see that the third is higher than it actuallt is. I have to figure another way to take the pic. And yes the clover is about an inch higher than the actual slot.

Oops I though you meant one of the techs on the site. :eek: I need to get my status changed anyway.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Top slot (in use) = too high* :twocents:
2nd-to-top = just right :thumbsup:
3rd slot = "at" the shoulder, almost below, acceptable, but time to move up

* unless a taller kid will need to share the seat: too high is better than too low FF . . . but strive for just right whenever possible :)

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
It's hard when you're right at that slot and need to move up, it looks wrong doesn't it? My boys often share seats so the slots are going to higher up on Evan but it's o.k. They're not ramping up in a ffing seat.

HEVY

The slot below the top seems to be at the shoulder, wondering if I can use it there a month or two. You be the judge ;)
Picture234.jpg

Picture235.jpg

Picture236.jpg

LEAW

Isn't there another slot right above the little purple flower in the first post?

The angle of the pics is different, so it's hard for me to tell if that's the same slot in the other pics.

HEVY

I am using the top slot, this one pictured is the one below it, where the OPs think would be the right height for her. The first pics were done looking down, the second set were done at eye level. I know in the first set it looks like this slot is a lot higher. My finger is pressing down at the slot.

Misty-Bug

shouldn't you use the slot that is AT or above? So that would make it at? If it were me personally I would use that middle slot (shown in the first picture) rather then the top one. Just looks like there is too much possibility to ramp up (is that the right term techs?) I would rather keep it in the middle slot until it is obviously outgrown but I am not yet a tech so you can ignore me. :p

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
It looks like the pencil pics would be an acceptable slot to use. If you came to me at a fitting station, I'd suggest moving them up so you didn't have to check every day and worry about her going over.

As for ramping up---that ONLY applies to RF seats. In a FF seat, the child moves forward in a crash, not upward.

Susan

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I'd use the top one. I don't have time (and would rather not sit and obsess about it) to keep checking the slots and if the shoulder is over etc. There's no real safety issue w/ it being too high, once upon a time all ffing seats had to use the top slot no matter the size of the child.

Misty-Bug

It looks like the pencil pics would be an acceptable slot to use. If you came to me at a fitting station, I'd suggest moving them up so you didn't have to check every day and worry about her going over.

As for ramping up---that ONLY applies to RF seats. In a FF seat, the child moves forward in a crash, not upward.

Susan

thank you. Sorry. I thought I was wrong.:eek:

Splash

How hard is it to install? If it's very difficult, I would use the top. If it's pretty easy, I'd use the next one down just for her comfort.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC