Question My 8mo is HUGE! How long did your big baby RF?

kalamos23

I am totally committed to RFing Riley as long as possible - however she is 32in and 28 lbs (ish - somewhere around there - she will get weighed on a more accurate scale next week but was 24 lbs at 6m and 27 a couple of weeks ago) at 8mo...:eek:

We have her rfing in a MA right now but it's a 33lber and I know we will need to get another seat (probably a TF). So - those of you with big kids, how long did they RF for? Weights/heights/ages are great! I'm really really hoping she will slow her growth down soon but it hasn't slowed much as of yet.

TIA!

ADS

Synchro246

My first was 30 lb at 1 year (and about 28 at 8 mo) and he RF'd until 23 months (33lb seat).
My second is 31.5 lb currently at 22 months. He was 28 lb at 1 year and some time before that.

Pixels

WOW. She's the height of an average 18 month old and the weight of an average 2y6mo. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless her growth rate changes, she will hit 35 pounds at 10 months old.

Splash

WOW. She's the height of an average 18 month old and the weight of an average 2y6mo. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but unless her growth rate changes, she will hit 35 pounds at 10 months old.

Not necessarily. Charlie was about that size. I think he was 27 pounds at his 9 month checkup, and stayed that way until about 17 months! He was 30 by 18 months, but then didn't hit 33 until well over 2 years old. At 3 years and change, he is now 42 pounds.

Stretchy Glue

I know that my dd's growth haulted significantly once she started rolling, crawling, then walking. She was 19 lbs at 9 months, and still only 19 lbs at 15 months. She didn't hit 24 lbs until she was 2.5 years, but was already outgrowing the AO. She outgrew a Chase by height at 3.5 years, only weighing 30 lbs.

Once they start to move around significantly, the weight gain slows, unless there are other, underlying problems that need to be addressed.

Pixels

Not necessarily. Charlie was about that size. I think he was 27 pounds at his 9 month checkup, and stayed that way until about 17 months! He was 30 by 18 months, but then didn't hit 33 until well over 2 years old. At 3 years and change, he is now 42 pounds.

I said unless her growth rate changes. ;) I extrapolated out on the growth curve based on her current stats.

ctbcleveland

I agree w/Splash - no need to panic. DS was around 22 lbs at 6 month - barely crept up to 25 lbs at a year and only gained 3 lbs during his second year of life. They really level off.

Sure - you may not make it to three years old - but you could likely have another year with the seat you have RF.

kalamos23

This is good to hear :) She started crawling at just turned 6mo and is superfast now and is also cruising and pulling up on everything now. DH and I are both tall (me=5'10", him=6'3") and she takes after DH with heavy bones - I don't mind the tallness so much as the weight, ya know? I figured once she started getting mobile, her weight would slow (and it did - for a week or so - she got all skinny and then porked right back up again!). She's in 3T clothes right now (whole 'nother story...)

I'm sure hoping she will level off soon!

urchin_grey

She will slow down. My nephew was ~25lbs at 8mo and now at 20mo he's only 28lbs. He even went back DOWN a diaper size for a bit after he started walking. They lose a lot of the chub once they can actually move. :p

Oh, and I should say, he's still RF'ing and as he's been 28lbs for months, he will probably make it at least close to 3.

fyrfightermomma

My big baby (DD2) was about 28 lbs at 10 months old and 34". Luckily at 2 years old she is now 29 lbs and 36".

Once they hit 12 months they really really do slow down. I anticipate getting to 2 1/2 with her.

Shaunam

DS was 28 lbs at 10 months to a year and then he shot up to 31, then he LOST weight and took a very long time to gain it back. He finally hit 35 lbs at 3.5 years.

I didn't buy a bigger rfing seat until his sister was almost due so he was ffing in that time (outgrew his previous seats by height, not weight) but he was able to rf until he outgrew the EFTA by height at 33 lbs and he would have easily fit in a radian or true fit until 35 lbs.

I wouldn't freak yet. Most kids slow down *considerably* after a year or so. I think the true fit is your best bet for getting the most time, weight AND height.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter was that big at 7 months-- then she started crawling! She lost a few lbs. and she's slowly gaining back but not above where she was (though she's growing in length. She's now almost 35 inches. Luckily she's in a Radian.)

pastrygirl

My son was about that size at that age, and he slowed waaaaay down. He was 28 pounds for over a year. I turned him FF when he reached 32.5 pounds at 28 months old... and he's STILL 32.5 pounds 5 months later! (But sometimes he's 33 or above, depending on what he eats.)

theshapeshifter

I am totally committed to RFing Riley as long as possible - however she is 32in and 28 lbs (ish - somewhere around there - she will get weighed on a more accurate scale next week but was 24 lbs at 6m and 27 a couple of weeks ago) at 8mo...:eek:

We have her rfing in a MA right now but it's a 33lber and I know we will need to get another seat (probably a TF). So - those of you with big kids, how long did they RF for? Weights/heights/ages are great! I'm really really hoping she will slow her growth down soon but it hasn't slowed much as of yet.

TIA!

My DS was 31" and about 26-ish pounds at his 9 month checkup, so not quite as far off the growth charts as your little one, but in the same sort of ballpark. We switched from a MA to a TF, since here in Canada the MA only rearfaces to 30lbs, and we LOVE the TF - very roomy and DS seems much more comfortable in it.

He's still RFing, and if his growth curve stays on the same track, I expect he'll hit 35lbs some time a little after 2, around 26 months or so. After about 13 months old, his weight gain really hit the brakes and he hung out right around the 30lb mark from about 13-18 months (and this was quite unexpected, since it wasn't anything related to walking; he'd been walking since 8 months old and running shortly thereafter).

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Both of my kids were 24-25 pounds at a year.

Both were able to rear face until 31-34 months of age!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC