Question Just can't decide

U

Unregistered

Okay.. I'm having a real issue here. We were in an accident on Saturday. We are okay. The lady who hit us has a broken leg and neck. Our Dodge Durango is considered a total loss so we will be getting a new vehicle as soon as possible. (I'm not sure what) Because of the accident I'm super-sensitive about finding the right seat.

Price isn't a concern. The issue I'm having at the moment is I can not decide between the Britax Boulevard or Marathon and the True Fit. I love how the True Fit sounds. My issue is that Britax has a solid reputation and the True Fit hasn't been around long. I can't try the seats out as only the Marathon is carried around here. I'm not sure I like the idea of him being up so high in a Britax as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but it would seem that would put him at an increased risk of injury in a roll over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Right now we are using a 2006 (I think) Pontiac Grand Am with a Titan Sport and I'm really not comfortable with it. So I need a new seat ASAP. We will be returning the car as soon as we find a replacement as well. I'm thinking we will get another SUV if that helps at all.

My son is 19 months about 32 inches and about 25 lbs. I measured his shoulder height while he was sitting from butt to shoulder at about 12 inches although it may be a bit off. He's still rear facing by the way.

ADS

emntheboys

My first instinct is to tell you Truefit, but since I don't own any Britax seats, I have no way to compare the two. I believe the Truefit has higher top slots than the MA/BV and IIRC it takes up less space front to back RF as well, but it can not be RF tethered, & you don't have time to wait for the new version to come out.

I think another great option for you would be a Radian XT (with side wings). I don't know if you are familiar with the Sunshine Kids products, but I have a Radian 65 & I just feel like it is such a "solid" seat. It is steel reinforced and can be tethered RF just like the Britax seats. I think the SK seats are designed very well & feel more like a piece of safety equipment rather than just a car seat. Hopefully that makes sense...

Pixels

I'm glad your family is ok.

The Marathon and Boulevard (essentially the same seat, except one has headwings) have shorter top slots than the Radian and TrueFit, by an inch to an inch and a half. Most kids outgrow their seats by height before FFing weight. The TF doesn't sit up high on a base like a Britax, and the Radian is the lowest-profile seat there is. According to Sunshine Kids, the maker of the Radian, sitting lower on the seat is safer in oblique angled crashes (sort of frontal, sort of side, the most common type). It is also more likely that the child would strike the roof of the vehicle in a rollover if they are sitting up higher on a base.

Even more important than finding the "safest" seat is that it is used correctly 100% of the time and that it is installed correctly. Many many parents think that they have their seats in right, but they're not. Misuse rates are over 90%. When you get your new seat, read the manual, install it to the best of your ability, read the manual again, and have it checked by a CPST. They will be able to spot any errors you may have made, and make sure that your child is appropriately restrained.

U

Unregistered

I would like to thank you for your quick replies..

I haven't looked into the Radian a whole lot. I know they seem popular as well though so I will be checking them out.

I hadn't had our previous seat checked. I "knew" it was installed correctly. I had a rock solid install. The new seat will be checked - after checking the car seat out after the crash I noticed it moved side to side at least three inches. I don't know if the seat belt tried to give out, stretched, or it was supposed to do that after a crash. What I do know is that I did NOT like that it moved after the crash. Scary.

Pixels

The seat belt is designed to stretch during a severe crash. It helps reduce the forces for an adult occupant (which is what the seatbelt is designed to hold). It also helps reduce forces for the child in the carseat, so it's not a bad thing necessarily.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC