Booster for toddler or convertible for infant?

Currently, the 2.5 yr old is in a Britax Marathon - he's 32 lb, 40in. The 6 mo old is in a Graco Snugride and is 18 lb, 25". As the infant is approaching the limits of the bucket, I need to get her into something else. Here are my options:

1. Keep the toddler in the Marathon and get a convertible for the infant. Not sure which convertible.

2. Get a booster for the toddler and move the infant into the Marathon. Not sure which booster.

Any advice?

ETA: To clarify, I meant a harnessed booster. :)

ADS

Blondie87

Do you mean a HARNESSED booster? Like the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier? Cuz I would probably vote for one of those. But definately not an actual booster seat.

MomToEliEm

I would probably recommend looking at the Graco Nautilus or the Britax Frontier for your son as they have a taller harness height then the marathon. Both seats also turn into pretty good booster seats later on. Most of the other combination seats (the seats that have a harness and convert to a booster later) are not always the best choice because they have low harness heights and 40 lb weight limits.

Pixels

Definitely a convertible for the infant. At 2.5, your older child is nowhere near old enough (mature enough) to ride in a booster. He also just barely meets the legal minimums to ride in only a select few boosters. Most have much higher minimums, really because it's not safe for a child that young and small to ride in a booster. Many of us on this board have children older than yours who are still harnessed (until 6 years old, or older) and even some are still rear facing at 4 years.

What vehicle would this be going into?

Stretchy Glue

Currently, the 2.5 yr old is in a Britax Marathon - he's 32 lb, 40in. The 6 mo old is in a Graco Snugride and is 18 lb, 25". As the infant is approaching the limits of the bucket, I need to get her into something else. Here are my options:

1. Keep the toddler in the Marathon and get a convertible for the infant. Not sure which convertible.

2. Get a booster for the toddler and move the infant into the Marathon. Not sure which booster.

Any advice?

You could get a Graco Nautilus for the toddler, since he's nearing the rf weight limit, and pass the MA on to the baby. Your toddler is way to young and too small for a booster, but the Nautilus makes a decent booster later (depending on the car of course). If you want to stick with Britax, you can get a Frontier, but the Nautilus is considerably less expensive.

(not meaning to be repetitive, but we all posted at the same time)

I did mean a harnessed booster.

I do believe that you can't put a price on your child's safety. Unfortunately, though, I can't afford to be buying carseats every year! I'm trying to find my best long term solution. I was thinking if I got the harnessed booster that turns into a belt-positioner for the toddler, it will last him a while and then the infant can be in the Marathon a while longer.

Blondie87

I did mean a harnessed booster.

I do believe that you can't put a price on your child's safety. Unfortunately, though, I can't afford to be buying carseats every year! I'm trying to find my best long term solution. I was thinking if I got the harnessed booster that turns into a belt-positioner for the toddler, it will last him a while and then the infant can be in the Marathon a while longer.

Then yes, I vote for getting a harnessed booster and passing the convertible to your baby. That would be the best option since your oldest is reaching the rear facing limit and no longer needs a convertible.

Now you just have to choose between the Britax Frontier or Graco Nautilus! Some people don't like how the Nautilus fits their kiddos as a booster, or the crotch room when harnessed. Otherwise it's an awesome seat. The Frontier becomes the tallest booster out there, has more crotch room when buckled, but it is more expensive. So it's up to you! :)

Pixels

Ok, that makes good sense. :thumbsup: In that case,
You could get a Graco Nautilus for the toddler, since he's nearing the rf weight limit, and pass the MA on to the baby. Your toddler is way to young and too small for a booster, but the Nautilus makes a decent booster later (depending on the car of course). If you want to stick with Britax, you can get a Frontier, but the Nautilus is considerably less expensive.

(not meaning to be repetitive, but we all posted at the same time)

:yeahthat:

Thank you so much for your advice! I'll go tonight and try out the Nautilus if my Toys R Us has it... the Frontier would have to be ordered in... Canadian retailers aren't really interested in carrying the products that I want!

heyruthie

LOL!

If you search recent threads, you'll discover that I recently posed the same question. I think the answer to the question is that, ultimately (given that all the seats are equal/still good/decent seats, etc.) it's always more COST effective to get the bigger kids new seats, and then pass the smaller ones down. This just makes financial sense, if you think about it: why get smaller seats? your kids are only going to grow! Now that your 3 yo is FFing, he doesn't NEED an MA, which, when you pay for it, you're paying for the ability to RF. But in the future he WILL need a booster, or at least a HWH seat. I'd get him a new seat that has higher harness slots (like the Nautilus or Frontier.) Even if you don't end up using it as a booster, you'll buy yourself another year. But if you buy another MA, eventually, you're going to have to get your 3 yo a new seat, but your baby will still be in the MA, so you'll be stuck with an un-useable seat for a while.

OTOH, if you just want to "splurge" for some reason, and get a new and better seat thrown into the mix, that's another thing altogether :) I may be buying my littlest a new seat, just because I want to get her the cool new girly pattern True Fit--esp. since I found out the new baby coming is another girl. That said, I know it's not the most cost-effective thing to do. But in your case, that's prob. not what's going on, since the MA is a great seat, and you can also get new covers. If I was sticking only with Britax, I would only ever buy the older kids seats, because I could "treat" the younger ones to a new cover when the actual seat is passed down.....

cookie123

Another option for later is to just pass down the GN or Frontier to the little one and get a dedicated booster for your older child if the timing works out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC