Interesting youtube video - class project to make a carseat easier to use

MomToEliEm

I saw this youtube video posted yesterday and it actually an interesting concept about hiding the wrong belt path when the seat is installed either rearfacing or forward facing. The belt path cover would be triggered by the recline mechanism on the seat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpnNfQf1n38
Our Senior Design project at Johns Hopkins University. We had to make modifications to a child seat so that it was more user friendly.

Hopefully they would never use the actual seat they modified for a child, but it was an interesting project. I didn't like the "weigh the child to see which way the seat should face" modification as that would probably add too much bulk to the padding and possibly make parents want to turn the kids just as soon as they reached the minimum weight. The wrong belt path being hidden though might be an interesting concept to include in new seats.

ADS

Pixels

I liked the thing that hid the wrong belt path.

I totally didn't get the thing that was supposed to weigh the child. I didn't see how it worked, how it weighed the child, or how it indicated which way the seat should face.

fyrfightermomma

What a great concept. I can't believe a bunch of college students thought of that. Most college students don't know seats are hard to install, let alone have ever touched one :) I'm very impressed.

Hey you never know. These could be the future car seat engineers of the future making our "ideal" seat :)

morninglori

I thought that both of their solutions were pretty innovative. I'm a mechanical engineer and would have loved to have had a senior project like this. (Mine - a million years ago it seems - was a mechanism to help people (elderly, those with low strength) get out of their chairs and standing unassisted)

I totally didn't get the thing that was supposed to weigh the child. I didn't see how it worked, how it weighed the child, or how it indicated which way the seat should face.

What I can figure from their design is that the plastic cushion has some air in it of which is displaced to some gauge of sort that will indicate 35lbs, I would think a yes, no. It's a pretty nifty concept...think about when you are deflating an air mattress and you push the air to one end, well this would push the air that is displaced when a child sits on it, and then indicate if it was enough to move the gague past a set point. I don't think the students completed that part completely, and the seat would need to be calibrated, but it could work, and that cushion doesn't need to be very thick or have very much air. It could very easily be incorporated into the CR foam or cushions.

Synchro246

I thought that both of their solutions were pretty innovative. I'm a mechanical engineer and would have loved to have had a senior project like this. (Mine - a million years ago it seems - was a mechanism to help people (elderly, those with low strength) get out of their chairs and standing unassisted)

What I can figure from their design is that the plastic cushion has some air in it which . . .displaced when a child sits on it, and then indicate if it was enough to move the gague past a set point. . . .very much air. It could very easily be incorporated into the CR foam or cushions.

Agreed. I thought they were great ideas. The automatic weight thing could take up little room and could be used to encourage extend RF--it's all in how things would be labeled.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC