Question techs in Oregon and Louisiana

Jennifer mom to my 7

On another board we heard of a woman from LA getting a ticket in Oregon for rf her 1 year old. Improper use. SHe fought it and LOST. ANyone know anything about this? THe person who posted it says she wants to erf her now 6 month old but is afraid of the ticket.
What do you think?

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I highly doubt it. They really don't check around here. I am from the Salem area, if that helps. I have ERFd in my car from ages 14 months-4.5, 3 different kids.

cpsaddict

I am in the Hillsboro area, which is in the three county metro area and I highly doubt any cops would know to ticket that. I don't even think police officers around here notice seats at all. If they did, there would be far less FF infant seats.

ETA: However, if you read our law, it does technically sound like 1yr olds must be FF, but there is also a proper use clause, so if the child is within the limits, they are fine.

Blondie87

I haven't ever read that.. but I have had ERFers in my car for 6 months now, not a long time but we live by a jail so there are ALWAYS cops in the area I live in. And I've never gotten pulled over..

obamamama

Jennifer-- wasn't the lady who got the ticket supposedly in Lousiana?
Are you thinking the story was bogus like I do? Either the facts weren't right
or it was someone trying to get a different spin on ERF?

Jennifer mom to my 7

You know, I read it as they got the ticket in oregon but were from Louisiana. I guess maybe they live AND got the ticket in LA. IDK. Which I guess is why I asked for both states input:)

obamamama

SHe hasn't come back on to clarify. It struck me odd though. We'll just have to see what happens. SO far no techs in the state of LA to come up with any info though.

urchin_grey

Weird... We got "pulled over" a couple months ago (really we were parked in front of my mom's house in the middle of the night, long story) and neither of the cops even mentioned anything about our seats and we had two ERF'ers in the car. Hell, my sister's ex was a cop and wanted to FF their DS when he was 3mo. So yeah, I'm not thinking many cops around here are down with the car seat laws. I guess it could happen though.

Oh yeah, and I'm in LA too.

brightredmtn

ETA: However, if you read our law, it does technically sound like 1yr olds must be FF, but there is also a proper use clause, so if the child is within the limits, they are fine.

I don't read that one year olds must be FF. Here's the law:

Infants must ride rear-facing until they reach both one year of age AND twenty pounds.
It is the crazy booster law that does technically mean you MUST put a child over 40lbs in a booster, no extended harnessing. There were tickets given for extended harnessing when the law first went into effect but they're trying to educated the police and judges to not continue ticketing or prosecuting for this.

BOOSTER SEAT LAW: (effective July 1, 2007) Children over forty pounds must use boosters to 4'9" tall unless they have reached age eight.

cpsaddict

I don't read that one year olds must be FF. Here's the law:

It is the crazy booster law that does technically mean you MUST put a child over 40lbs in a booster, no extended harnessing. There were tickets given for extended harnessing when the law first went into effect but they're trying to educated the police and judges to not continue ticketing or prosecuting for this.

You're right! It did used to say that, but I think that changed in 2007. The wording of the whole law is just weird and hard to understand, though.

For anyone who wants to know, here is the exact wording:
ORS 811.215

(2) To comply with this section:

(a) A person who is under one year of age, regardless of weight, or a person who weighs 20 pounds or less must be properly secured with a child safety system in a rear-facing position.

(b) A person who weighs 40 pounds or less must be properly secured with a child safety system that meets the minimum standards and specifications established by the Department of Transportation under ORS 815.055 for child safety systems designed for children weighing 40 pounds or less.

(c) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, a person who weighs more than 40 pounds and who is four feet nine inches or shorter must be properly secured with a child safety system that elevates the person so that a safety belt or safety harness properly fits the person. As used in this paragraph, “properly fits” means the lap belt of the safety belt or safety harness is positioned low across the thighs and the shoulder belt is positioned over the collarbone and away from the neck. The child safety system shall meet the minimum standards and specifications established by the Department of Transportation under ORS 815.055 for child safety systems designed for children who are four feet nine inches or shorter.

(d) A person who is taller than four feet nine inches must be properly secured with a safety belt or safety harness that meets requirements under ORS 815.055.

(e) Notwithstanding paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a person who is eight years of age or older need not be secured with a child safety system but must be properly secured with a safety belt or safety harness that meets requirements under ORS 815.055.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC