GAH! I had read about the difficulty with the Monterey's LATCH system, and I have experienced it now. I can't get this

groovymom2000

blasted seat out of my car!! 25 sweaty minutes later, and it is still in there. I really, really wish I had been able to try this one out first. The car is a volvo v70, and I don't really consider the anchors to be overly deep--I haven't had a problem with any other seat that I have put in there. The lower clips on the seat are so stiff that I can't sqeeze them enough to unclip it. I was going to move it to Dh's car(if it fit better there), but if it is this hard to move then I may just sell the thing--if I can get it out. *sigh* I like the Britax clips...Any tips for getting it out? I know that it won't have to be LATCHed back in, but that was part of the appeal...

ADS

LuvMyGirls

Have you loosened the tension on the straps? It's not as easy as the Radian strap, but I can usually loosen the tension, pull the "clip" forward, push the release and kinda twist it sideways while pushing the whole clip in to get it out. It's easier to do than to explain.

emandbri

I agree they do seem harder than other latch straps. I totally bruised my thumb getting it out Sunday night and it still hurts today. :( The latch straps are one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting an oobr.

Pixels

What are the clips on the Monterey like? I guess I assumed alligator style since that's what's on the RN.

Stretchy Glue

They're the same clips on almost all the other child restraints. I don't find them terribly difficult, but the fact that you cannot stretch them out much makes them a tad challenging.

LuvMyGirls

I agree they do seem harder than other latch straps. I totally bruised my thumb getting it out Sunday night and it still hurts today. :( The latch straps are one of the reasons I'm thinking of getting an oobr.

I rarely move Kaylan's Monterey, so it's not a factor that would make me considered getting rid of the seat. I love the fit and growth room she has to much.

Pixels

I find the hardest part of getting the regular hook ones out is getting it out of the bight after getting it unhooked, without it hooking itself back on. I've found that giving it a quarter to half turn so that the hook won't catch on the lower bar.

groovymom2000

Finally got it. My fingers are sore *whines*, but it is out, and sits very nicely in DH's new-used car. Better than in mine, which is what I thought would be the case. I haven't decided if I will LATCH it in DH's car or not. Although he rarely moves it, he will sometimes need to use his back seat for at least one person. I would rather he be able to move the monterey b/c I know that he can "re-install" it without difficulty. On the other side there will be a GN in harness mode with a seatbelt install, which he does not want to move. The anchors in his car are not as deep as mine(although mine aren't deep), but he has never used the hook type LATCH before. Given that he has a broken back, I think I will give him a break and leave it be for now. I honestly did read the manual, but obviously not well enough to notice the part about hooking face up.:eek: That probably would have helped immensely...thanks everyone!

emandbri

I honestly did read the manual, but obviously not well enough to notice the part about hooking face up.:eek: That probably would have helped immensely...thanks everyone!

I missed it too. I didn't know to do it upside down until tiggercat told me a few months ago. :eek: It is still hard to get out though.

ginny4

Did you attach them right side up, or upside down (the manual says upside down, IIRC). It's much easier to get them out when they are upside down, IMO. http://ca.skjp.com/simg/4955367.pdf p12, "For ease of use, make sure open end of hooks face upward during use."

wow i never even noticed that in the manual. OH MY. i have them the other way & while its not the easiest i don't find it terrobly difficult to do. i guess according to the manula you quoted it shoudln't matter which way they are facing as far as safety only that it may be "easier" if they are up side down right?

tiggercat

wow i never even noticed that in the manual. OH MY. i have them the other way & while its not the easiest i don't find it terrobly difficult to do. i guess according to the manula you quoted it shoudln't matter which way they are facing as far as safety only that it may be "easier" if they are up side down right?

I really doubt it is a safety issue, just that you can (and should?) position them that way to make it easier to remove. There is no warning saying not to use them the regular way.

I didn't notice it the first time either, I saw it when I was rereading the manual looking for something else.

Kat_Momof3

the key for me is just to loosen them... I have no problem with hooking/unhooking.

the part I hate is tightening and loosening... to loosen it, I have to grip the front of the seat with my hand, using my middle finger to press the button all the way ... and then have my other hand behind the back of the seat (which can be hard to do if you have it in tight, which is why I love my captain's chairs... I recline it before doing this to make it easier), and PUSH the seat forward on the adjuster strap.

I basically do the opposite (one hand pulling strap and one hand at front of seat base, with seat as far forward as possible so strap is straight) to install it snugly.

I love the ease of the olli... push and click and it's in... pull the strap or push the buttons on the ends of the connectors and pull... and it's out.

groovymom2000

I love the ease of the olli... push and click and it's in... pull the strap or push the buttons on the ends of the connectors and pull... and it's out.

I so wish the oobr was out, but since this was replacing a crashed seat, I needed one right away. If I hate the Monterey still when the oobr comes out though...:whistle:

Kat_Momof3

I don't blame you...

the Monterey is as close to perfect as it will get with a highback for us that converts to backless for when the ILs visit and I need to just send that with them... though now that we have the olli, instead of ripping apart the Monterey so that I don't have to send the cheapie cosco backless, I'll just send Olli.

And the carry strap has me resistant to ever buy a spare booster for Jeffrey when the time comes to give the Monterey to Ruthie... I figure we can just take it in and out of whathever vehicle he's using it in every time. Maybe not the most convenient, but then at least he'll be in the seat that's most comfortable, easiest to use, and also highest quality every time.

Just don't know if I can have just ONE seat for a kid, though... I don't think I have done that in forever.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC