Crotch strap positions in Safeseat and Snugride Pics

arly1983

I thought I was imagining it. I would put S in the Snugride, tighten the straps, and when we got where we were going...BAM, the straps were falling off his shoulders.

Well, today, I finally figured it out. The snugride crotch strap is soooo much further out than the snugride. He would slide down until his crotch hit the crotch strap, leaving lots of room at the top slots.

Maybe I just have a freakily thin child with no butt but I just can't see using the snugride until he gets thicker. I could put a washrag in there (thats permissable, right?) but I just don't see the point since i have a perfectly good Safeseat. The radian fits him great and even the Marathon fits better than the snugride. I was just shocked out how different the fit was.

Why is the crotch strap farther out on the 22 lb seat and not the 30 lb one...I don't get it?

(But then the roundabout crotch strap is farther out than the MA/BV so I guess Graco is not the only one.)

He is 7 weeks old, 11 lbs and 8 oz.

ETA: Snugride measures 6.25 in and Safeseat is almost 5 in.

Picture598.jpg

Picture599.jpg

Picture600.jpg

Picture601.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

MOM25BOYS

Wow, I never thought there would be a difference in the crotch straps and a BIG difference too.:eek: You would think it would be the opposite with the SS1 having the bigger gap and the SR, well being more snug, would have a smaller gap.:scratcheshead:

And Arly he is such a cutie!!!:love::love:

Mommy0608

You know, I noticed that about the SafeSeat. I don't have a Snugride but the crotch strap on the SS1 is pretty much under Tyler's bum. :( Of course, he's a butterball though. :p

That is really strange though that the SR strap is further out than the SS1... just doesn't make sense.

arly1983

I know, it doesn't make sense. They really should have mulitiple crotch positions since infant fit is so important.

Kat_Momof3

because they don't want to be bothered to redesign, test, and make the snugride that people already like and buy enough??

the ss1 and sr32 were made from scratch, so they took the time to fix the things people still complained about.

That's my theory, at least.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Kat's right, I'm almost 100% sure that's it. Snugride's 'good enough' without costing them more money, so they've just kept cranking it out (really, no one besides 'us' is noticing a poor fit of their crotch strap :eek:).
Funny thing I heard? That there might be a new Snugride finally coming out this December (from the 'niece' of 'the guy who designed it'... she bought a Safeseat, though, lol, couldn't wait for the new SR to come out...I'm not surprised, the Snugride could certainly use some improving :rolleyes:, but I'm not holding my breath for it anyway)

Great pics, Arly, thanks for sharing!!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC