News IIHS rates vehicles for roof strength in rollover crashes for first time

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Excerpted from http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr032409.html

News Release | March 24, 2009

Roof strength is focus of new rating system;
4 of 12 small SUVs evaluated earn top marks

ARLINGTON, VA — The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is launching a new roof strength rating system to help consumers pick vehicles that will help protect them in rollover crashes. Twelve small SUVs are the first to be put to the test. Only 4 earn the top rating of good. The Volkswagen Tiguan has the strongest rated roof, and the Kia Sportage has the weakest among the 2008-09 models evaluated.

This new rating system is based on Institute research showing that occupants in rollover crashes benefit from stronger roofs. Vehicles rated good must have roofs that are more than twice as strong as minimum federal safety standards require.

The Tiguan, Subaru Forester, Honda Element, and Jeep Patriot earn good ratings. The Suzuki Grand Vitara, Chevrolet Equinox, Toyota RAV4, Nissan Rogue, and Mitsubishi Outlander are rated acceptable. Roofs on the Honda CR-V and Ford Escape are marginal, and the Kia's is poor.

"We anticipate that our roof strength test will drive improved rollover crash protection the same way our frontal offset and side impact consumer test programs have led to better protection in these kinds of crashes," says Institute president Adrian Lund.

The full news release, including details of the IIHS roof strength testing, vehicle ratings chart, online video, roof strength status report, and research paper about roof strength and injury risk, may be viewed at the above link.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sigh. I just hope I never roll my Escape. You should already see how slow I drive on our local shoulderless/hilly roads :whistle:

Good. It's about time. The manufacturers were always quite murky about how strong their roofs were when that Ford Explorer/Firestone rollover issue was in the news. I knew Ford was bad cuz they actually forced Volvo to withdraw ads citing how strong their roofs were cuz it highlighted how bad Ford (the parent company) was. But I remember import companies making statements that made me susppect they weren't that great either.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The Tiguan, Subaru Forester, Honda Element, and Jeep Patriot earn good ratings.

I loved my Forester -- it was reliable and safe and good on gas and fun to drive -- but it was so very carseat-unfriendly. Maybe I'll get another one a few years down the road.

southpawboston

I knew Ford was bad cuz they actually forced Volvo to withdraw ads citing how strong their roofs were cuz it highlighted how bad Ford (the parent company) was.

when was this? long before ford owned volvo (80s), volvo had an ad campaign that showed about 5 volvos stacked atop one another to demonstrate the purported strength of the volvo. a class-action lawsuit was filed against volvo for false advertising-- the ad used hidden reinforcing scaffolding to keep the cars from caving.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC