Pics of older kids in High Back Boosters, please! 38 pound kid in backless....

heyruthie

My best friend just told me that her 38 pound 8 year old finally "outgrew" the highback portion of his booster. Yes, he is 38 pounds and has been boostered for years. I just hoped to encourage her to keep him in a HBB as long as possible.

However, she balked, when I suggested getting him a new HBB that would allow him to keep the back on, saying that "He already has enough self-esteem issues already" and all the other kids "don't use a booster seat at all anymore" so by using the backless booster, he is "safer than most of the kids out there." she says that in her state of PA, he is technically legal to use no CR, since he is 8 yrs. old.

I asked her if she would be willing to look at A) pics of older kids in boosters and B) stats for why highback is safer for her son. She agreed.

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Kids under 40lbs in a booster are at higher risk of submarining or being ejected, but at 8yrs old those factors are going to be quite a bit lower because his body should be more physically developed than a child who is just 3 or 4yrs old and under 40lbs...

The way I see it, the biggest issue with a backless booster is that most start at 40lbs - do you guys have any 30lb minimum backless boosters in the US?

High back boosters and backless boosters perform the same function - high back boosters just tend to position the belt better on small kids. If the seatbelt fits him well with a backless booster, the vehicle has adequate head support, and he is within the manufacturers stated limits, there isn't anything wrong with an 8yr old being in a backless booster.

Sorry, I know it's not necessarily what you want to hear. :eek:

I'm sure others will have some pic's for you, I just don't want you to stress yourself out if mom is going to put him in a backless booster. :thumbsup:

Evolily

The way I see it, the biggest issue with a backless booster is that most start at 40lbs - do you guys have any 30lb minimum backless boosters in the US?
Yep.

I would be so glad his mom kept him in a booster this long, and has chosen to continue to booster him. Personally, I think the fact she is boostering him passed her states minimums is impressive :thumbsup:

christineka

That's not the response I got here when I asked about letting my 54 pound 9 year old go backless???

Here are my kids:
7 year old dd.
booster7.jpg

9 year old
booster9.jpg

Starlight

Senior Community Member
well, sometimes we have to pick our battles. If we're talking about someone who is needing to be convinced, well yeah, we might settle for less than best. But fortunately, you know better.

I'd be fine w/ a backless booster at 8, too, and simply happy that she was keeping him in a booster at all! :D

Qarin

That's not the response I got here when I asked about letting my 54 pound 9 year old go backless???

I think there's been a bit of reining in of the fanaticism here lately, and especially when talking about someone who isn't asking for best-practice advice (for themselves/their children/the children in their charge) I think it's a good thing- it's not terribly helpful to encourage people to feel worried to the point of panic about friends or acquaintances who are doing really quite well with their kids.

Joyofbirth

Christineka-What kind of booster is that? I like it. Your 9 year old looks a little big in it, but I don't know about boosters yet. Is she fitting in there well? I have two 9 year olds I watch that I would like in boosters in my car. Not sure what to get for them.

Andie

Christineka-What kind of booster is that? I like it. Your 9 year old looks a little big in it, but I don't know about boosters yet. Is she fitting in there well? I have two 9 year olds I watch that I would like in boosters in my car. Not sure what to get for them.

That is a Recaro Vivo.

Here is a thread with photos of my son and Scatterbunny's daughter in different boosters, including the Vivo.

christineka

That's the recaro vivo. It's actually 7 year old's seat. 9 year old gets the turbobooster, but the pic I have of her in it is pretty old. 9 year old has ridden in the vivo when sister is not present and said se really liked it. I want to get her the monterey, but it looks like I'm saving up for a radian for a younger kid, so older dd gets to stay in the turbo. The vivo has a very short seat depth, but for some reason my kids think it is comfy.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
well, sometimes we have to pick our battles. If we're talking about someone who is needing to be convinced, well yeah, we might settle for less than best. But fortunately, you know better.

I'd be fine w/ a backless booster at 8, too, and simply happy that she was keeping him in a booster at all! :D

Yes, and

I think there's been a bit of reining in of the fanaticism here lately, and especially when talking about someone who isn't asking for best-practice advice (for themselves/their children/the children in their charge) I think it's a good thing- it's not terribly helpful to encourage people to feel worried to the point of panic about friends or acquaintances who are doing really quite well with their kids.

Yes, yes, yes!!!

If someone is *asking for advice*, then yes, it's true that a highbacked booster is almost always safeR than a backless one.

When approaching friends or strangers, we need to pick our battles in order to maintain approachability and credibility. While not the BEST choice, an 8yo in a backless (if he meets the minimums, and some do start at 30#) is simply not a battle I'd pick.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/BoosterAlbum.aspx I didn't send the stats to be added, but Karsten was 9.5 there :love:

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php

My SUV has curtain airbags and good head restraints, so I'll allow my kids to go backless...my van doesn't, so I still have my now-11 and 9 year olds ride in a highback in there, they don't mind, they know it's safest and think it's comfy.

But I actually think it's amazing your friend has used a highback as long as she did, most people are WAY less conscientious :(

emandbri

Here is the study that says that that no back boosters provided no benifit in a side impact crash over a seat belt.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php

"The risk reduction provided by booster seats in side-impact crashes varied by booster seat type: 4-to 8-year-olds riding in high back booster seats were at a 70 percent reduction in injury risk, while those in backless boosters did not experience a statistically significant risk reduction as compared with seat belts alone."

Maedze

I'm not sure if I responded to your original thread.. but I can tell you I would be perfectly comfortable with a 9 year old in a good backless booster, presuming good head support.

Am I thrilled about the idea of a 38 pound 8 year old in a backless booster? absolutely not. I'm concerned that such a tiny child has some severe underlying issues and would be best protected in a high back booster. I do think you are doing the right thing encouraging her to use a high back, but at the same time, I'm just really glad he's in a booster at all.

The Combi Dakota has a 33 lb minimum for backless use and is a pretty nice backless booster.

LuvMyGirls

Sorry, but I personally would not be okay with that for my child. My 72lb 10y9m old is still in a highback. I think I would be thrilled to see a stranger with a 9 year old in anything, but I would not be happy to see it with someone who knows so much more about CPS.

The 38lb 8 year old in a backless scares me. I have a friend with a 38 lb 8 1/2 year old and 36 lb 5 1/5 year old in highbacks. The mother put them in highbacks at 7 yrs 36 lbs and 3 1/2 yrs 33 lbs. She said her neighbor used to work with SafeKids so she had her to check them, and the neighbor said it was fine.

skaterbabs

OP: if you still want pics of older kids in high back boosters, I can arrange to get one of my 12 1/2 yo in a Frontier.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC