2 Marathons forward-facing and a Radian rear-facing in 2nd row of 2005 Honda Pilot

U

Unregistered

Is this possible? Right now, we have a Marathon installed forward facing for a 3.5 year old behind the driver's seat and a Graco Snugride for a 1 year old installed behind the passenger seat rear-facing, both seats using LATCH. The second Marathon for another 3.5 year old is in the 3rd row seat, tethered and using the belt. We set it up this way since the youngest was in a car bed at first and we needed both the side and middle seats of the 2nd row. I just purchased a Radian65 for the baby and want to keep him rear-facing as long as possible. I think I can fit all 3 across the 2nd row but what is the best combination for safety? A Marathon in the middle forward facing using the seat belt to install or the rear-facing Radian using the seat belt? The Radian would have to be tethered if it's rear facing right? Would that be a problem? Ideally, it would fit easier if the Radian were in the center because the Marathons are so much wider, but for ease of use, it's better to have the youngest on one of the sides.

Anyone have any thoughts? Suggestions?? Anecdotal experience? I really appreciate it, thanks. :)

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You'll probably have to have the RF Radian in the center, just because of front-to-back space issues. The Pilot has an extremely wide back seat, but there's not all that much room between the front and back seats, so I'm not sure if you'd be able to get it RF behind the passenger or driver. I've never tried, though, so hopefully someone can chime in on that.

One other issue might be the center seatbelt. It has long buckle stalks, and the Radian has a low beltpath. That's more of an issue FF than RF, though. You can twist the buckle stalk up to three times to make it lower if you need to.

Like Ulrike said, you should be able to fit the seats next to each other, no problem. If you find you can get the Radian installed on the side, that's great. Probably any combination would work. You MIGHT need to install the outboard seats with seatbelts rather than LATCH if you find you need more room, but the back seat is big enough that you might not need to. (Seatbelt installs tend to let you move the seats away from each other a little more than LATCH does.)

The Radian does not have to be tethered rear-facing, but can be. You can tether to either the driver's side or passenger side seat tracks.

rodentranger

The rf Radian will indeed need to be installed in the center. It isn't a particularly difficult installation though until you turn it ff. I was never super happy with my ff install and ended up selling the Radian. Space wise, though it should fit, though you may need to use the belt to install the outboard seats just to give you a bit more room.

U

Unregistered

Thank you everyone! The Radian should be arriving in the mail in a few days. I was going to install the other Marathon in the center seat in anticipation of its arrival, but I'll wait now since you say the Radian probably won't work rear-facing on the side in the 2nd row. So thank you as you just saved me an extra install! :) I will give the Radian a go on one of the sides but I'm sure I'll end up with it in the center, as you suggested. Probably best to keep the 3.5 year olds separated anyway... ;)

Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC