What do you think of these plane seats?

BabyKaykes

Last question, I promise!!!

My dad has decided he doesn't want my mom and I to drive 5hrs up north next month so he paid for our trip - I :love: my daddy!!!

Anyway, he booked our flights on Virgin America and I was just looking through their website to find out about the seats (DS's Nautilus is going with us). They are nice and wide, but they have a funky headrest, take a look (the black seats, not the white ones):

http://www.virginamerica.com/va/vaDifference.do

I called the airline, they say the headrest moves up and down, but doesn't come off. I'm about to move DS up to the 3rd slots on the GN, do you think the headrest will get in the way?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I wouldn't stress too much about it. When installing the Nautilus recline the plane's seat. When you're done tightening the belt drag the seat back upright. That'll make it tight enough that any gap behind the headrest won't be an issue. And move the headrest up all the way to try to get it up high enough.

Wendy

BW1426

What about taking the AOE? I know he technically does not fit in it FFing, but I don't think I would be super concerned about that on the airplane. Then when you get to your destination you could just rearface him.

BabyKaykes

Thanks Wendy! I'll try and remember that.

Brie - He fits fine in the AOE when FF. Am I missing something? I just don't use it FF because DS throws a fit and always wants to be RF in it.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Another option would be to just leave him in the 2nd slots for the plane ride and then move him back up in the car. If he's just right at the slots on the plane, it's not a huge deal.. I know my kids tend to hover at the slots for a little while and with dd I move the straps up before she reaches the "definitely over" point.

So if he's just hovering, I wouldn't freak about having the harness lower in the plane if it meant that it fit better on the plane seat.

Looking at the plane seats it looks like the headrests will go up fairly high anyways, so I wouldn't anticipate any huge problems.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It almost looks like those are large (but attached) pillows. Any chance that they actually flip up or anything?

I know I'd be kind of annoyed (personally) if those weren't removable or VERY adjustable--I'm very particular about my headrests :)

BW1426

Thanks Wendy! I'll try and remember that.

Brie - He fits fine in the AOE when FF. Am I missing something? I just don't use it FF because DS throws a fit and always wants to be RF in it.

Ah. For some reason I was thinking he fit RFing, but not FFing. I don't know how I came to that idea :p

BabyKaykes

Brie - Maybe his stats? I used to get confused on the FF limits. I could never remember if it was FF at 34" or 38".

It almost looks like those are large (but attached) pillows. Any chance that they actually flip up or anything?

I know I'd be kind of annoyed (personally) if those weren't removable or VERY adjustable--I'm very particular about my headrests :)

Me, too. I already know I'm not going to like them. I hate stuff behind my head like that. Those vehicle headrests that are fixed at a forward tilt make me shudder. I'm hoping they adjust high enough and my torso is short enough (19") so that it's out of my way.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC