Graco Snugride...flimsy?

jhomuth

I'm currently expecting baby #3 in April. With my first 2 I used a BabyTrend infant seat. Early in this pregnancy, I figured since the Baby Trend was expiring and I needed a new seat, I might as well go with a Graco since I now have a Graco double stroller. I found a killer deal on a travel system for $50 on clearance at Target. We'd need the extra single stroller anyway, so it was a great price. But today was the first time I really played with it, tried installing it in my truck, etc. It seems so flimsy compared to Baby Trend. My sister just got a brand new Baby Trend, and it seems as solid as my older one was. The SR seat itself is so much lighter than the Baby Trend seat. That doesn't bother me so much. But the base is so, so light, and so much more plastic and less metal than the Baby Trend base was. Looking at the belt path on the SR base, it doesn't seem to intersect at all with anything metal...all plastic. The install also doesn't seem as solid as I remember with the Baby Trend, but then I generally don't like the way infant seat bases install anyway. I don't like the way they seem to just flip up at the back, if that makes sense.

I know the SR generally is a trusted infant seat, and really, I'm not one to use the infant seat past 4-6 months anyway. But I was wondering if anyone else had any opinions on the SR. My mom still has to buy me a shower gift, and I'm half tempted to sell the SR and have her buy me a Baby Trend seat. I'd probably be able to recoup the $50, and so essentially have a free Graco stroller to boot.

Opinions?

ADS

skylinphoto

I figure most opinions will differ..but, i agree with yours.
I had a Babytrend flex loc infant seat..and it felt nice and sturdy. It was easy to install w/ seatbelt and I loved that it wasn't allll plastic. I'm sure that may not make a safety difference..but, it felt better to me.

The snugride does feel more flimsy to me.

I'm sure others will have more info though.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The only thing that would concern me is that the seat may have a rear harness adjuster (is there a strap by the feet to make the harness looser and tighter? It's SO much easier to use a seat properly if it has that, it's a severe pain to always have to adjust the straps behind the back).
It's not as sturdy-feeling as the Snugride 32 or Flex Loc, or Chicco Key Fit, but it's got exceedingly good crash test ratings and is light and easy to tote around. It even has the convenience benefit that you can leave the handle up when driving (Every new flex loc I've seen where you have to put it down, the buttons are sticky and it's a huge pain to get the handle down :p)

lorinick

I know some store K Mart, Wal Mart and even Target have some cheap Graco products and at that price they may very well be the case. I'd check out other SR's in another store.

jhomuth

Julie, it does in fact have the harness adjusters in the rear. I have never in my life seen anything like that. Every car seat and infant carrier I've ever seen had the strap in the front. Hmmmm, don't really care for it, but not sure that it's a deal breaker for me. As I mentioned, I'm not one to keep them in their carriers very long anyway. I have big babies, and lugging them around is just too much! I can see how for a lot of people it would mean their babies not being as snug as they should be, but I've always been pretty anal about making sure the straps are nice and tight, so I'm not worried about that aspect. But really, what a goofy design.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC