Pics of the Graco Nautilus with 1yr olds

MOM25BOYS

All I can say for my DS5 is EEEEEKKKKKK!!:eek: :eek: I would in no way be comfortable with this seat for him even though he meets the minimum requirements to use it.:thumbsdown: He is very petite and just does not fit well at all IMO.:( On the other hand my daycare kiddo who is only 1 week older than DS5 fits better.

Both boys are and will remain happily RF in my vehicle and moms.:thumbsup:

DS5 sits WAAAYYY to far below the bottom slots to me and not to mention the straps cut up to high into his neck for him to be comfortable.:thumbsdown:

He did like having his picture taken though.:rolleyes: :D

DSCN0747-1.jpg

DSCN0746-1.jpg

DSCN0748-1.jpg

DSCN0749-1.jpg

My daycare kiddo is I guess a more averaged size 1yr old and he had a better fit. He is just below the bottom slots and the straps fit him alot better without looking like they were choking him. I think if I put the infant inserts in he would fit even better.

DSCN0750-1.jpg

DSCN0751-1.jpg

My disclaimer..... these pics were taken just for fit check since both DC meet the minimum requirements for the seat. I fully recommend RF as long as possible or to the limits of the seat.:D

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
With the infant insert, he would fit well. We tried Andie's son in one, He fit good too.

serabi

I think with the infant insert he'd probably fit OK.

Next time I'm at Target I'll try to take pics of my 1yo in an Nauti. He's an average size so it'd probably fit him fairly well.

Maggie

I have some pictures of my (very small) 23 month old in ours. She fits, unfortunately, VERY well.

I'm not at home right now but will post them when I am.

Pixels

My DD fit a bit better than that with the infant padding at 8 months. (This was just a test fit in the store, she did not ride in this seat.)

Without the infant padding now at 10 months, 28", 16.5#, she fits about the same as your DS, based on where their ears are in relation to the red belt guides. (Again, she didn't ride in it, I put her in it for a test fit.) Overall I think the Nautilus does a good job of fitting little FFers. It really doesn't matter how much over their shoulders the slots are for FFing. Up until recently, most seats required top slots be used for FFing, because they were the only ones reinforced.

fyrfightermomma

Yep my kiddo fit great at a little over a year when I got it, even without the infant padding. If I absolutely had to put a kiddo in a seat that young, this one seems to be a great fit.

skylinphoto

Here is my just turned 1 year old (she's small though...16 lbs 29 in).
I didn't buckle her in..though she looks to fit nicely.
3377860678_5f986505aa_o.jpg

She of course if rfing for a LONG time though. lol.

Amaris

K is a touch above the second slots from the bottom, so she would be on the next to top slots :eek: I'm not sure how she has such a long torso! No, she doesn't actually ride in it!

Jennifer mom to my 7

IMG_8421_2.jpg

And this is my ds at a year old. I am pretty sure the straps were in the second slot, and he already needed the furthest out crotch strap position. He of course is still rf at 26 months, 35.5 inches, 27 pounds.

MOM25BOYS

Ok Judi, I got curious to how DS5 would fit with the inserts.......

To me it still isn't an ideal fit for him.:( Like I said though he is on the small side for his age and I agree with everyone else that if you have to have a young FF this seat does fit great for an average or bigger sized 1 yr old. My DNi at 1 yr this past week would most likely be over the bottom slots on the GN. She is just at the 2nd slots of her MA as where DS5 is still at the bottom slots on his MA and RA.;)

You can see the straps still cut up on him like they are choking him, but a tiny bit better.

DSCN0756-1.jpg

And he looks to fit snugger in the harness now, but it is deceiving since the padding doesn't line up with the bottom slots. There is a good inch from the slots on the seat to the slots on the padding.

DSCN0754-1.jpg

DSCN0753-1.jpg

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Now tilt the seat back slightly, like it would be in the car. His shoulders would go up slightly more. That is an acceptable fit.

Of course, no one in my car FFs at 1 year. I am watching a 3 yr old now, she FFs in her car, and RFs in mine.

MOM25BOYS

Now tilt the seat back slightly, like it would be in the car. His shoulders would go up slightly more. That is an acceptable fit.

Of course, no one in my car FFs at 1 year. I am watching a 3 yr old now, she FFs in her car, and RFs in mine.

Thanks Judi.:) I have the recline on it which helped slightly, but yeah no FFs here either at 1yr so no big deal that he don't fit right now.:p

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
While we'd all prefer to see a child just meeting the minimums rf'ing still, if a parent was intent on ff'ing I'd have no problems with the fit that your ds has with the extra padding in.

You're lucky he has such a tiny torso. My ds had a 13" torso by the time he was 1 and is at about 14.5" now at not quite 2.5. :p (It's true that their legs do start to catch up, thank goodness.)

MOM25BOYS

While we'd all prefer to see a child just meeting the minimums rf'ing still, if a parent was intent on ff'ing I'd have no problems with the fit that your ds has with the extra padding in.

You're lucky he has such a tiny torso. My ds had a 13" torso by the time he was 1 and is at about 14.5" now at not quite 2.5. :p (It's true that their legs do start to catch up, thank goodness.)

Thanks Snowbird and yeah I was pretty lucky with DS5.:) Compared to the other 4 he is alot smaller than any of them ever where. DS4 was close to outgrowing the RA RF if I remember correctly at around 15-16mths while DS5 is just slightly above the lowest slot on the RA and is dead even with the lowest slots on the MA.:p

ravekiss

Here's a pic of my DS in a Nauti. He's an older 1 year old...19 months in the pics. He fits very well though.

IMG_1104.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC