Just curious: Recaro Start w/Shield

twinsmom

I've seen this seat mentioned on other posts. Just wondering what the "shield" is and why it's used. Thanks!

ADS

fyrfightermomma

It is used over in Germany where they put younger kids in boosters (they don't RF very long over there). The theory is that it may be safer than a 5 point harness. The reason is that when a young child is forward facing and has a larger head still, the straps of the 5 point harness hold the body back but the large head flies forward putting more stress on the neck (this is why Sweden tends to go from RFing straight to boosters, the same theory).

The shield supposedly allows their entire upper body to move forward together and the shield(covered in EPS foam) absorbs the crash force and spreads it across the entire upper body of the child vs just the neck in a 5 point.

It is nothing like the old shield boosters or over head shield seats. It fits close to the body and has great SIP. There is no way a child could be ejected. It's pretty confining! :)

The assumption is that it's not very popular over here because most kids would hate being confined like that and it could get very hot in warmer climates. A 5 point allows more freedom so they are more popular. For my sensory kid though she loathes 5 point harnesses FFing (does ok rear facing). She loves the confined feeling of this and hasn't made a peep ever sitting in it.

Here is a video of a shield seat vs a booster. I can't find any comparing a 5 point to the shield but this video (which is labeled wrong, it's not a 5 point) shows that the shield crash test looks very comparable to the 5 point crash tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2kO8AxKbrM

*Disclaimer* This shield is NOT for sale or use in the United States.

Here's a pic of my child in a Recaro Start w/ shield. Jools also has one. Other models overseas include the Kiddy Life Pro seats and some other seats. You can see she is going no where! This one is only for use with the Start and only for 20-40 lbs.

100_0871-1.jpg

100_0872.jpg

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Review: Put child in seat. Have them lift arms. Put shield on them. Lean over or chant, "Go Go Gadget Arms!" so that you can reach around the child and get the belt buckled. Pray the belt doesn't lock up before you have it buckled (if you have switchable retractors). Straighten belt in shield's metal belt channel. Pray child doesn't scream and fuss about being confined. If they don't, it makes a great table for helping hold snacks and drinks :cool:
Seriously, though, it's foam but somehow it's really dense and heavy. There are ridges next to the child's body, covered with nylon/polyester so it's got a bit of airflow while still hugging them in place. The top is vinyl coated and easy to wipe clean. And for kids who LIKE being confined, it's great. We used the Britax Laptop a lot for traveling when my other kids were younger and they hated it, especially in summer when it got really hot.
Leah actually likes it... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/StartShield209?authkey=Gv1sRgCNb7q9Cg25X3Hw#5298249290566328546 I'll use it till she's 40 pounds and a bit older, because I like the way it allows the head and spine to move forward together in a crash...without the head jerking that a harness can cause (which seats still must pass certain neck and chest numbers even in a harness, so they are still extremely safe... Britax and Sunshine Kids have the devices on their harnesses and tethers to lower those numbers even more, but even a regular harness without any extra bits is still extremely safe).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I knew people who imported them from the UK and German ebay (IIRC)... apparently it wasn't too hard to do, but it was easier for me to buy/borrow them after they were already here in the US, lol.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:D

Seriously, it's a major pain to lean over... not so bad in a van/SUV, but I hear it's bad in a car, lots of bending down to go with the leaning. It was actually the reason I sold my first Start when DS was 4, because he couldn't buckle himself and leaning over it, even without the shield, was a paaaaain, a 5 pt harness, despite the crotch buckle digging is really easier :thumbsup: (though DH is kind of bad about harness tightening, so this thing is in HIS car, it's harder for him to mess up...:rolleyes:)

fyrfightermomma

Luckily I have a van and locking latchplates :)

There is no way I would put this in DH's Taurus, even though this is the idiot proof car seat and he needs that :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC