does RSTV require tether?

Tylerbmom

I am reading my RSTV manual and I am confused about whether the tether is required for kids under 6. In one spot it says: "Children less that 6 years MUST use a top tether and lap belt only if available. If top tether or lap belt only is not available, use lap and shoulder belt." To me this implies that if a tether isn't available, I can use lap and shoulder. However, in another spot it says: "For children less that 6 y.o.... If lap belt only is not available, use lap and shoulder belt with top tether".

Here's my situation- I have a fill in babysitter for the next 6 weeks who will be picking up DS (4 y.o., 43 lb, 43 in) twice a week from preschool and will drive him about 3 miles. Her car is an early 90's Honda that does not have LATCH. With my previous babysitter, who was driving him for the whole year, I had her get a tether anchor installed in her Ford (which they did for free). From what I have read on here, Honda doesn't install it for free. So, can I use the RSTV for him with a lap and shoulder and no tether? WWYD?

Thank you!!

ADS

HEVY

You need a tether if you use a lap only belt. You can use it with a shoulder/lap belt with or without the tether. I got mine when my DD was 4 and was told that either way can be used.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:thumbsup: Agreeing with HEVY. The manual's really not clear, but I (and everyone else) has been told it's not mandatory as long as you have a lap/shoulderbelt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC