Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

does RSTV require tether?

I am reading my RSTV manual and I am confused about whether the tether is required for kids under 6. In one spot it says: "Children less that 6 years MUST use a top tether and lap belt only if available. If top tether or lap belt only is not available, use lap and shoulder belt." To me this implies that if a tether isn't available, I can use lap and shoulder. However, in another spot it says: "For children less that 6 y.o.... If lap belt only is not available, use lap and shoulder belt with top tether".

Here's my situation- I have a fill in babysitter for the next 6 weeks who will be picking up DS (4 y.o., 43 lb, 43 in) twice a week from preschool and will drive him about 3 miles. Her car is an early 90's Honda that does not have LATCH. With my previous babysitter, who was driving him for the whole year, I had her get a tether anchor installed in her Ford (which they did for free). From what I have read on here, Honda doesn't install it for free. So, can I use the RSTV for him with a lap and shoulder and no tether? WWYD?

Thank you!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member

Re: does RSTV require tether?

You need a tether if you use a lap only belt. You can use it with a shoulder/lap belt with or without the tether. I got mine when my DD was 4 and was told that either way can be used.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Agreeing with HEVY. The manual's really not clear, but I (and everyone else) has been told it's not mandatory as long as you have a lap/shoulderbelt.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Oh good! That will be much less hassle. Thanks so much for the replies and clarification!