Question Talk to me about 5-6 pass. trucks

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If you needed to buy a truck that had a second row (not jump seats, usable facing-front seats) that seats 5-6 people, for under $8K or so, what would you get?
I'm just now foraying into this type of vehicle, but I think it might solve our transportation issues....so I really know nothing, so any pointers are appreciated.

I know I read something about some carseat manufacturers cautioning about putting carseats in truck 2nd rows because there isn't enough clearance for the head? Is this an area of concern??

What else do i need to know that I don't yet even know that I need to know?

ADS

Pixels

The caution about carseats is in extended cab trucks, because there isn't enough room for head excursion. I know the TF forbids installation in extended cabs for that reason. I can fit a Radian RFing at its natural recline behind the driver of a Ford full cab (is that the crew?) with the front seat almost all the way back, like maybe an inch forward. So in a full cab, I wouldn't worry about it, there's more room than in my sedan.

Full cabs give you more room in general and more comfort for the back seat passengers than extended cabs. My dad had an extended cab, then got a full cab. He also got a cover for the bed because otherwise, there is no place to put purchases other than in the cab.

Um, let's see what else you need to know. Generally they are gas guzzlers. Full cab trucks with 8 foot beds are long vehicles, and can be difficult to park. Top tether routing is different in trucks, but I assume you already know that. If you can't reach the tether after the seat is installed (like if you fold down the back of the seat to get access), you'll have to adjust the top tether first, and then install the seat. I don't care for that, personally, but it might not bother you.

I can't think of anything else really truck-specific. Just the usual things like look for lap-shoulder in all positions and adjustable headrests. I think you're more likely to find lap-only belts and no headrests in trucks, particularly big ones that are exempt from passenger vehicle standards. Oh, that reminds me, if it's big enough it might not have LATCH. It may not even have top tethers. Over a certian weight, they're not required, but they might be there voluntarily. I know my dad's 2007? F350 has lap-only belts in both center positions, no center headrests, no lower anchors, but it does have top tethers for all three rear seats.

One other thing, on his F150, my dad had this:
74503-01.jpg

It's a bed extender. (Google truck bed extender.) It goes inside the bed with the tailgate up, and will contain your stuff so it doesn't slide around. Or, you can open the gate, flip it over, and it will look like the picture above, extending the length of the bed by about 2 feet. And it comes off easily (but not accidentally) if you want it off. Dad really really liked it. The only reason he doesn't have it on his F350 is because he tows a 5th wheel.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Have you looked at the crew cab trucks? It's a full bench with adequate room for head excursion unlike the extended cabs. You could easily get an '02-'04 in that price range.

I know in the GM crew cabs there are 3 top tether hooks (actual hooks not the webbing with weird tether routing). Plus there is even a rear facing tether hook if you have a rear facing child.

emars002

We have an F150 crew cab - I have never had a seat that does not install well in it - plenty of room and i can do 3 across with almost any seat (never tried something like the regent though) It has the loops for FF tether but you don't have to do the weird route thing - only in extended cabs. We have our RF seat tethered, I think to the seat belt stalk but i'll have to check. The only thing that is hard to do (for me anyway) is when you put in the FF seat, you have to hook the top tether first and it has this stupid cover over the back of the seat so if you laid the back seat flat it would have a carpet covering - then push the truck seat back, then install the car seat and pull the tether tight and i have to take out the RF seat to be able to change out the FF seat because the truck seat won't fold forward with the RF seat still installed. I'll get you a picture tomorrow:)

Ours is a 2001 but i bought it in 2006 for $13,500 - it had 43,000K on it

emars002

Ok, I took pics - gon't mind the mess - we threw the stroller in there when we left in the other car yesterday instead of leaving it outside and DH really needs to clean his truck:cool:
Here is the RF MA behind the driver seat tethered to the seat belt stalk and the GN is in the middle - there are only headrests on the 2 outboard seats but the nautilus has about 2" clearance fom the back window and is not touching it - I don't think i would want an adult sitting in that spot though:
DSC02317.jpg

And here is a pic from the front seat looking back - there is a full seat left for an adult or another carseat:
DSC02318.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC