Serious car accident, infant safe in her car seat!

ADS

mommaon112903

I am so happy to hear that the little one was not hurt! I just wondered what went thru the little gal's mind thru all of this and then hanging upside down wondering what just happened and where her momma was. Prayers and kuddos for mom!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Oh that makes me sad. Why would she go to such trouble to keep her baby safe but not herself? :( Babies need their mommas.

firemomof3

Oh that makes me sad. Why would she go to such trouble to keep her baby safe but not herself? :( Babies need their mommas.

Yes, very good point! On the local news they mentioned that she was still in serious condition but doing well :confused: So, I'm hoping that she'll be OK

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have a mug from SafetyBeltSafe...it has a heart with a seatbelt on it and says, 'Buckle Up... Somebody Needs You!' Maybe they should hand them out in maternity wards :eek:

I hope the mom recovers ok, I'm so glad the baby was restrained ok :thumbsup:

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Check out the video in that link. The carseat the 1-year-old was in was a Blue Bouquet Regent. How much do you want to bet that the Regent (with its blow molded shell) prevented the roof from caving in any further in the area near the baby.

firemomof3

Check out the video in that link. The carseat the 1-year-old was in was a Blue Bouquet Regent. How much do you want to bet that the Regent (with its blow molded shell) prevented the roof from caving in any further in the area near the baby.

Oh wow, they must have just added that video :eek: A one year old in a Regent....:rolleyes:

firemomof3

Makes me wonder though, would all car seats perform so well in a rollover? I know the Regent is a big, one piece seat...but what about a GN or Blvd. were the head piece is movable. I really wonder if it perform as well?

Defrost

Are we sure that was a shot of HER carseat? It didn't look like that vehicle it was in had been in a crash. Just wondering if maybe they took a shot of just a "general carseat" to emphasize their point?

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Considering the circumstances and the outcome it was probably a lucky choice in this situation - especially if the Regent helped to maintain the baby's survival space when the roof was crushing in. Those pictures in the video with the car still upside down look pretty bad. We always say "you can't pick your crash" and this was one of those times when a 1-year-old may have been better off forward-facing in this particular seat than rf (or even ff) in something else. That doesn't mean I'm advocating to have all 1 year olds ff in Regents. I'm just saying it might be have a lucky choice in this situation.

ETA: I can't imagine that they would show a picture of a CR other than the one in the car - and that the CR they chose to show would be a BB Regent. But then again, who knows.....

Last edited:

firemomof3

Considering the circumstances and the outcome it was probably a lucky choice in this situation - especially if the Regent helped to maintain the babies survival space when the roof was crushing in. Those pictures in the video with the car still upside down look pretty bad. We always say "you can't pick your crash" and this was one of those times when a 1-year-old may have been better off forward-facing in this particular seat than rf (or even ff) in something else. That doesn't mean I'm advocating to have all 1 year olds ff in Regents. I'm just saying it might be have a lucky choice in this situation.

ETA: I can't imagine that they would show a picture of a CR other than the one in the car - and that the CR they chose to show would be a BB Regent. But then again, who knows.....

Yes, very good point!

Defrost

I agree, but unfortunately that type of video doesn't play well on my computer, so I only had a very short view, and then I couldn't get it to go back so I could see it again or freeze it.

I dunno, that was just my thought.

firemomof3

Are we sure that was a shot of HER carseat? It didn't look like that vehicle it was in had been in a crash. Just wondering if maybe they took a shot of just a "general carseat" to emphasize their point?

I talked to a friend who is on the same ambulance service that responded to this accident and yes, the baby was in the Regent. I asked her if she knew how big the baby was and she said that the "baby" was closer to 2y/o and very "husky". :thumbsup:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Glad the baby was okay, ...but uhhh...am I the only one left thinking.."WTF didn't she just hit the ALREADY DEAD raccoon? Right. Vanity. she didn't want to get raccoon guts on her pretty little car, so she freaking caused a serious, nearly deadly accident, that very easily could have injured OTHER people as well, over some roadkill. good choice. Knowing that people like that are driving NEXT TO ME on the road really, truly scares me. The not wearing a seatbelt thing is absolutely idiotic....but at least it doesn't kill ME or MY KIDS....the having such ridiculously poor judgement and/or driving skills part terrifies me.....at least she had the good sense to buckle her kid in.

Defrost

I talked to a friend who is on the same ambulance service that responded to this accident and yes, the baby was in the Regent. I asked her if she knew how big the baby was and she said that the "baby" was closer to 2y/o and very "husky". :thumbsup:

Oh awesome! Thanks for clearing that up, I was confused. And it sounds like it was a pretty decent carseat choice for this child. In any case, it was used correctly and clearly did its job! :thumbsup:

Defrost

Glad the baby was okay, ...but uhhh...am I the only one left thinking.."WTF didn't she just hit the ALREADY DEAD raccoon? Right. Vanity. she didn't want to get raccoon guts on her pretty little car, so she freaking caused a serious, nearly deadly accident, that very easily could have injured OTHER people as well, over some roadkill. good choice.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about the dead raccoon. I've been surprised by such things in the past - they don't always look like "just roadkill." They can look like something that might blow out your tire, yk? Particularly if the car in front of you made the same mistake and swerved around it, you might not have much time to register what it was before you needed to try to avoid it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC