Third Row in RAV4

spryngtree

Is it possible and safe to install carseats in the third row seat of a Rav 4?

What other smaller SUV's come with a third row option other than the Rav 4 and the Mazda 5?

ADS

SavsMom

You can install 2 seats in the third row of a Rav4, but as of the 2008 models (I don't know if they have changed this for 09 or 10) the 3rd row does not have latch so you would have to use the seatbelts.

HEVY

Wait. Rav4 has a third row? I been eyeballing those, never knew. Now I really want one, next car maybe :whistle:

Anyone have pics of that?

Nevermind, found them.

seamonkeys

It must be only on newer models, maybe 2008 and forward? My friend has one (probably a 2006) and it doesn't have a 3rd row! I know she wishes it did since she has 3 kids when they have her step-daughter over.

seamonkeys

The RAV4's third row is an option available since approx. the 2006/2007 model year when the RAV4 was last redesigned.

Yes, she's got the newer designed model, but no 3rd row. Do you know if it's something you can add after you have the vehicle? If so, I want to pass on that info to my friend.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I think only certain '06 and newer RAV4 versions/trim variations have it available as an option, so it may depend on which version she has and I really don't know specifically if it could be added on now. She could probably find out through a Toyota dealership for certain.

orangemnms

When we were looking at new cars, the RAV4 was my top pick, UNTIL we went and checked it out IRL. I tried to put DS's Regent back there, and it fit, but touched the seat in front of it, meaning there was no place for his legs to go!

We ended up with an Ody.... :D

Pixels

We looked at a 3rd row Rav4. I got in the third row driver's side, DH got in the 2nd row passenger's. Then he asked me if I could sit behind him. My answer? "Well, I'd have to lose half my foot first." Literally, the footroom available to me was half the length of my foot.

There's a couple of Kia models with 3rd row. I can't think of the names of them right now. One is a bigger model, the other is smaller. Neither had top tether anchors for the third row.

seamonkeys

Mmm, maybe it wouldn't be worth it then. It would just be for her step-d (8 yrs, and doesn't ride in a booster:thumbsdown:), but would probably only work short-term.

spryngtree

Does the third row have tether points? We did test drive it and found that it would be ok for a small adult to sit in the back for a short trip as long as they were not long legged. My smallish mom was more comfortable in the back seat of the Rav 4 than she was in the back seat of the Mazda 5. However we just couldn't find much information on whether the rear seat could be used for car seats. We have a frontier for my four year old and at the moment a newborn in a snug ride. Not sure what he will be going into next, probably a roundabout rearfacing until we need a new seat next year.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Mmm, maybe it wouldn't be worth it then. It would just be for her step-d (8 yrs, and doesn't ride in a booster:thumbsdown:), but would probably only work short-term.
The good about the 3rd row is, it is designed for child size so the 8 year old might actually fit quite nicely and better than she fits in the 2nd row without a booster.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Does the third row have tether points? We did test drive it and found that it would be ok for a small adult to sit in the back for a short trip as long as they were not long legged. My smallish mom was more comfortable in the back seat of the Rav 4 than she was in the back seat of the Mazda 5. However we just couldn't find much information on whether the rear seat could be used for car seats. We have a frontier for my four year old and at the moment a newborn in a snug ride. Not sure what he will be going into next, probably a roundabout rearfacing until we need a new seat next year.
I would grab the manual and read it next time you go to take a look at them. If they don't have top anchors for the 3rd row, then personally, I would think they did not design it to house child restraints. The reason I say this is because in Canada, top anchors are required so that means that FF seats could not be installed in the 3rd row. And the vehicle is made the same for U.S. and Canada, so if they don't opt to put in the top tether anchor, they likely didn't consider child restraint usage back there!

The Honda Pilot and the Acura MDX are 2 SUVs that have a usable 3rd row with top anchors for child restraints (I think the new Pilot may even have lower anchors in the 3rd row as well, anyone recall?). Although they be larger than you want since they are mid-size rather than small SUVs.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
IMO, they didn't consider child restraint usage at all in that car.

They slapped in LATCH in the second row but the TAs are hard to find; the middle seatbelt I don't know if you could even put a seat in with; it's impossible to use 3 restraints of any kind back there, including boosters, because of the overlapping seatbelts; I don't think you could even put three non-booster non-carseat riders back there.

I think the car is designed for single people with no pets and limited luggage-hauling needs, personally. ;)

SavsMom

I worked as the Internet Manager at a large Toyota dealer for a few years so I am pretty familiar with the Rav 4.

The 3rd row became available on the Rav 4 as an option when the vehicle was redesigned as a 2006 model. The 3rd row option can be a bit hard to find and since the Rav4 is still made in Japan it is usually packaged together with other options.

In regards to latch and tethers - they do not exist in the 3rd row for the Rav4. In the 2nd row you have the latch on the outboard positions (no middle seat latch) with tether points for all 3 seats. The 3rd row will just give you 2 shoulder belts.

The 3rd row is small and cramped, but it does fold flat into the floor. The clients that bought these usually just bought it "just in case" they might need it to take one of their kids friends with etc etc.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC