Good age/size to start booster training

twinsmom

When do you all think it is okay to start booster training?

My dilemma is I need seats for DH's car for backup & occasional use. Spending a lot for harnessed seats for use maybe 2 or 3 times a month seems 'unattractive':eek: but I'll do it if necessary. I know a lot of you will recommend the Nautilus, but my kids just do not fit well in that seat. They fit fine in the Frontier, but that again is a lot of $$ to spend on spare seats! So....is it okay to start riding in boosters for short, occasional trips? BTW, I would wait until they are 4/40lbs; not quite there yet... My gut feeling is that it is too young & small, but was interested in other opininions. It may take DD awhile to reach 40lbs, as she keeps growing 'up' but not 'out':p I don't feel good about not having backup seats in DH's car, but so far there hasn't been a need. But I feel like I'm tempting Murphy's Law!

Their stats are current in my signature. Thanks all!

Oops! Growth spurt! Just checked weights again and they are 42 lbs & 40 lbs.

Last edited:
ADS

BW1426

I think 4 and 40 is entirely reasonable barring any special circumstances. If your child(ren) have trouble sitting still and you feel they simply aren't mature enough to even sit for a short trip I'd hold off a little longer.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think it depends entirely on your kids.

I know some 4 year olds who are half- or full-time in a booster and sit perfectly.

Then there is my daughter who is almost 5, and I would not trust her to sit still for a 3 minute trip, even if she was told her life might depend on it. She just moves constantly, even during our family prayers, she has always been constantly in motion since birth. (She also has some sensory issues that mean she's much more comfortable with that pressure from the harness.)

So, long and short of it is it's down to how YOU, the person who knows them best and spends the most time with them, think they will do. You might want to try them out in the house or in the car in your driveway, not moving, for a short period of time and see how they do.

mommaon112903

Josef took his first ride in a booster last night-it was two miles up to the soccer field and back. He did GREAT, did not budge at ALL! Of course we have been having talks about his new red seat and that we do NOT move in it, but instead "rest our heads and enjoy the ride". And when you tell him that he says "but that's the Disney's man saying!" Since we went to WDW in December and he heard that mulitple times a day on the buses to the parks and back to the resort.

Josef just very recently hit 40lbs, and he turned five in late November. Some of the other mom's I talk to on another board do not budge about the 40lb mark-not even if they are six, seven or eight, according to them they MUST be in a 5-point. Personally I feel comfortable booster training after the age of five, but I did have a wiggly worm until around that age. I kid you not after going to WDW he started sitting SO nicely in his Regent!

We have the SK Monteray and I REALL like the SIP it gives! We looked at other seats, but the Graco Turbo just did not have "enough" for me to feel comfortable enough with it. We have never been able to see the Vivo IRL, but the seat depth looks shallow and I did not want to run into that issue as Josef gets older. I have had enough of buying car seats that do not last as long as we expected or develop a love/hate relationship with! So the Monteray is THE booster for Daddy's car, period!

Good luck with your decision, your kiddos are ADORBALE!

Maedze

We started doing booster training at 4 and 42 with Bean the First.

I know we really emphasize the dangers of moving to a booster too soon, but the fact is if the three qualifiers are met:

1. Child is at least 4
2. Child is at least 40 lbs
3. Child can sit maturely

a booster is a perfectly safe choice. I wouldn't move Bean the First (now 4.5, 44 lbs) to a booster full time, but he does fine on rides under an hour.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm going to echo what every one else said - it really depends on the kids in question.

But I have another question - you said your kids just don't fit well in the GN, but if it's only for occasional use and backup, do they have to be divinely comfortable? (I'm guessing it's a comfort-fit problem rather than a safety-fit problem, based on their stats?)

twinsmom

I'm going to echo what every one else said - it really depends on the kids in question.

But I have another question - you said your kids just don't fit well in the GN, but if it's only for occasional use and backup, do they have to be divinely comfortable? (I'm guessing it's a comfort-fit problem rather than a safety-fit problem, based on their stats?)

Well.......that's a good point. Hadn't thought of it that way before. Maybe I'll re-consider the Nautilus, along with the Monterey.

twinsmom

Would the Safeguard Go be a good option in the situation? I'm a little worried about the lack of SIP in that seat. How does the Go's SIP compare with the Nautilus?

Maedze

Outside of the five point harness the Go doesn't really have "SIP" but I think it would be a great choice for a 2-3 time a month issue. Does your DH's car have full sets of LATCH?

twinsmom

Outside of the five point harness the Go doesn't really have "SIP" but I think it would be a great choice for a 2-3 time a month issue. Does your DH's car have full sets of LATCH?

Yes, his car has LATCH. I have to check to make sure it has adjustable head rests in the back. I think it does...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC