Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Good age/size to start booster training

When do you all think it is okay to start booster training?

My dilemma is I need seats for DH's car for backup & occasional use. Spending a lot for harnessed seats for use maybe 2 or 3 times a month seems 'unattractive' but I'll do it if necessary. I know a lot of you will recommend the Nautilus, but my kids just do not fit well in that seat. They fit fine in the Frontier, but that again is a lot of $$ to spend on spare seats! So....is it okay to start riding in boosters for short, occasional trips? BTW, I would wait until they are 4/40lbs; not quite there yet... My gut feeling is that it is too young & small, but was interested in other opininions. It may take DD awhile to reach 40lbs, as she keeps growing 'up' but not 'out' I don't feel good about not having backup seats in DH's car, but so far there hasn't been a need. But I feel like I'm tempting Murphy's Law!

Their stats are current in my signature. Thanks all!

Oops! Growth spurt! Just checked weights again and they are 42 lbs & 40 lbs.
    Last edited by twinsmom; 03-21-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Edit weights

Jack and Katie, 9 years old!
    Riding in Montereys and Maxi Cosi Rodi XRs

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Good age/size to start booster training

I think 4 and 40 is entirely reasonable barring any special circumstances. If your child(ren) have trouble sitting still and you feel they simply aren't mature enough to even sit for a short trip I'd hold off a little longer.
    DD1--4/6/2006--Britax Parkway SGL
    DD2--12/9/2012--Britax Advocate and Marathon

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I think it depends entirely on your kids.

I know some 4 year olds who are half- or full-time in a booster and sit perfectly.

Then there is my daughter who is almost 5, and I would not trust her to sit still for a 3 minute trip, even if she was told her life might depend on it. She just moves constantly, even during our family prayers, she has always been constantly in motion since birth. (She also has some sensory issues that mean she's much more comfortable with that pressure from the harness.)

So, long and short of it is it's down to how YOU, the person who knows them best and spends the most time with them, think they will do. You might want to try them out in the house or in the car in your driveway, not moving, for a short period of time and see how they do.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Senior Community Member mommaon112903's Avatar

Josef took his first ride in a booster last night-it was two miles up to the soccer field and back. He did GREAT, did not budge at ALL! Of course we have been having talks about his new red seat and that we do NOT move in it, but instead "rest our heads and enjoy the ride". And when you tell him that he says "but that's the Disney's man saying!" Since we went to WDW in December and he heard that mulitple times a day on the buses to the parks and back to the resort.

Josef just very recently hit 40lbs, and he turned five in late November. Some of the other mom's I talk to on another board do not budge about the 40lb mark-not even if they are six, seven or eight, according to them they MUST be in a 5-point. Personally I feel comfortable booster training after the age of five, but I did have a wiggly worm until around that age. I kid you not after going to WDW he started sitting SO nicely in his Regent!

We have the SK Monteray and I REALL like the SIP it gives! We looked at other seats, but the Graco Turbo just did not have "enough" for me to feel comfortable enough with it. We have never been able to see the Vivo IRL, but the seat depth looks shallow and I did not want to run into that issue as Josef gets older. I have had enough of buying car seats that do not last as long as we expected or develop a love/hate relationship with! So the Monteray is THE booster for Daddy's car, period!

Good luck with your decision, your kiddos are ADORBALE!
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY

CPS Advocate

We started doing booster training at 4 and 42 with Bean the First.

I know we really emphasize the dangers of moving to a booster too soon, but the fact is if the three qualifiers are met:

1. Child is at least 4
    2. Child is at least 40 lbs
    3. Child can sit maturely

a booster is a perfectly safe choice. I wouldn't move Bean the First (now 4.5, 44 lbs) to a booster full time, but he does fine on rides under an hour.

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

I'm going to echo what every one else said - it really depends on the kids in question.

But I have another question - you said your kids just don't fit well in the GN, but if it's only for occasional use and backup, do they have to be divinely comfortable? (I'm guessing it's a comfort-fit problem rather than a safety-fit problem, based on their stats?)
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    I'm going to echo what every one else said - it really depends on the kids in question.

But I have another question - you said your kids just don't fit well in the GN, but if it's only for occasional use and backup, do they have to be divinely comfortable? (I'm guessing it's a comfort-fit problem rather than a safety-fit problem, based on their stats?)
    Well.......that's a good point. Hadn't thought of it that way before. Maybe I'll re-consider the Nautilus, along with the Monterey.

Would the Safeguard Go be a good option in the situation? I'm a little worried about the lack of SIP in that seat. How does the Go's SIP compare with the Nautilus?

CPS Advocate

Outside of the five point harness the Go doesn't really have "SIP" but I think it would be a great choice for a 2-3 time a month issue. Does your DH's car have full sets of LATCH?

Quote Originally Posted by Maedze View Post
    Outside of the five point harness the Go doesn't really have "SIP" but I think it would be a great choice for a 2-3 time a month issue. Does your DH's car have full sets of LATCH?
    Yes, his car has LATCH. I have to check to make sure it has adjustable head rests in the back. I think it does...

Quote Originally Posted by mommaon112903 View Post
    Good luck with your decision, your kiddos are ADORBALE!
    Thanks!