help choose jogging stroller

lpperry

I want a jogging stroller to use for jogging, but also as my everyday stroller. So, I don't want the Bob or something like that. I want the stroller to have a tray in the front and a parent tray.

Here are the two I am deciding between.

http://www.babytrend.com/products_detail.php?CategoryID=0004.0001.0000.0000&LampID=988

http://www.instep.net/Product/Swivel_Wheel_Joggers/Detail/165_Safari_Jogging_Stroller_11-AR255/

The Baby Trend one is sold at BabiesRus and I have seen it. I like it, but it is only compatible with a babytrend infant seat. We have a Graco Snugride.

The instep--I'd have to order it online without seeing it. I don't know if it is a good stroller or not. I know nothing about InStep. Is it better than BabyTrend? I like that it has a universal carseat adaptor. So, I would be able to use the stroller with my Graco infant seat. That is a huge plus!

If I hear that Instep is an awesome brand, then I will feel better about ordering it without seeing it.

ADS

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Neither of those strollers is actually good for jogging, fast walking or terrain. They are like mall strollers pretending to be joggers.

Have you heard the phrase jack of all trades, master of none? You aren't going to find a stroller that is great for everyday use and can still be used as your jogger, it just doesn't exist. If you find one that you think will work, understand that it's either a. going to be a crappy everyday stroller, or b. going to be a crappy jogger. The baby trend you linked to, it's both. I've never touched the instep, so I can't speak for it.

I have a Bob, after having a Baby Trend similar to what you posted. There is simply no comparison. NO COMPARISON. And if you could compare it, it would be a Hyundai to a Mercedes. It's okay to have 2 strollers. Pick a good jogger and a good everyday stroller, and then eventually, you'll need a good airport stroller, and then a double for all of those scenerios! :D

shauburg

It's okay to have 2 strollers. Pick a good jogger and a good everyday stroller, and then eventually, you'll need a good airport stroller, and then a double for all of those scenerios! :D

And that my friends, is how the addiction starts... :evil grin: (4 strollers and counting)

jsta1005

I would seriously rethink not wanting a Bob! They are really the best! Planning ahead for my own kids (way way way ahead!) I would get a Bob Revolution with the carseat adapter so I could use it from the newborn age. It really does work for in malls and other things inside as well as jogging. I've pretty much figured out that if the Bob doesn't fit somewhere neither will any stroller. Hope you find a great stroller!

and I am not one to talk about having one stroller. I am only a nanny and I personally own 6 strollers.:whistle:

lovinwaves

Neither of those strollers is actually good for jogging, fast walking or terrain. They are like mall strollers pretending to be joggers.

Have you heard the phrase jack of all trades, master of none? You aren't going to find a stroller that is great for everyday use and can still be used as your jogger, it just doesn't exist. If you find one that you think will work, understand that it's either a. going to be a crappy everyday stroller, or b. going to be a crappy jogger. The baby trend you linked to, it's both. I've never touched the instep, so I can't speak for it.

I have a Bob, after having a Baby Trend similar to what you posted. There is simply no comparison. NO COMPARISON. And if you could compare it, it would be a Hyundai to a Mercedes. It's okay to have 2 strollers. Pick a good jogger and a good everyday stroller, and then eventually, you'll need a good airport stroller, and then a double for all of those scenerios! :D

:thumbsup:

If you are on a serious budget, consider looking Craigslist for used strollers. There are always some older Baby Jogger (ultimate joggers, btw ;)) jogging strollers on there.

If you absolutely had to just have ONE stroller to do it all, then I would pick the BOB in your situation. The front wheel locks forward, making it as close to a jogger as possible. The handlebar is non-adjustable as well(I think. Someone correct me if I am wrong), which is another thing you want to look for in a jogger.

The lack of handbrake, and large wheels, will of course not make it a true jogger, but it will come close.

BW1426

Am I the only one that thinks the BOBs are outgrown way too soon :confused:

Bubby is 27 months, 28 lbs and half way between the 2nd and 3rd slots on the MA. His head is less than an inch from the canopy in the BOB.

I'm entirely ruled the BOB out. I'm looking at the Kelty and the Baby Jogger.

lpperry

Thanks for the advice, but I do not want a Bob. They are to expensive and I really just want an everyday stroller with the three wheels. I really just wanted to know what experience people had with Baby Trend vs InStep.

I really don't care if it is a good jogging stroller. I know the Bob is the best, but I am not going to buy one right now. We are planning on having two kids right in a row and I am not going to waste the money when I'll have to turn around and buy another one in a year or so.

Hollyob

Am I the only one that thinks the BOBs are outgrown way too soon :confused:

Bubby is 27 months, 28 lbs and half way between the 2nd and 3rd slots on the MA. His head is less than an inch from the canopy in the BOB.

I'm entirely ruled the BOB out. I'm looking at the Kelty and the Baby Jogger.

Oh dear. We were going to check out BOBs today at REI. I need to get a stroller that my 5-year-old can fit in. Is Kelty a good brand? I saw one on ebay but couldn't get any info about Keltys and I didn't want to get it without some feedback.

BW1426

Thanks for the advice, but I do not want a Bob. They are to expensive and I really just want an everyday stroller with the three wheels. I really just wanted to know what experience people had with Baby Trend vs InStep.

I really don't care if it is a good jogging stroller. I know the Bob is the best, but I am not going to buy one right now. We are planning on having two kids right in a row and I am not going to waste the money when I'll have to turn around and buy another one in a year or so.

Do you have a maximum budget?

Do you want a fixed will or a swivel wheel (note: swivel wheels do not have a handbrake)

BW1426

Oh dear. We were going to check out BOBs today at REI. I need to get a stroller that my 5-year-old can fit in. Is Kelty a good brand? I saw one on ebay but couldn't get any info about Keltys and I didn't want to get it without some feedback.

I really liked our Kelty. Mom and Dad are pretty hard core runners and both used it. Dad didn't like it as well because he's so tall, but I think that would be a rather standard issue for him. It was in the back of the station wagon during the crash and the frame was significantly bent. E still fit in the Kelty at 5 yo. I assume she'd still fit. No way she'd fit in the BOB with as close to the top as Bubby was.

The neighbors also have a Kelty and she loved it far more than any other stroller on the market. They too are hardcore runners. They use theirs daily for about a 5 mile run in the summer.

I can't find a Baby Jogger to try so not sure about the comparison.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Ah, I guess I misread your post. I thought you wanted a jogging stroller to use for jogging, not just a 3 wheeled stroller. I mentioned earlier that I had that Baby Trend stroller, and it was a piece of crap. It bounced ridiculously when I attempted to walk with it, and the fabric was cheap and got dirty easily. My child's head was very close to the top, and that was around his 2nd birthday - and he was barely in the 3rd percentile for height. I made the decision to get a Bob, and within a week, one popped up on my Craigslist, less than a year old at less than 1/2 price. Good luck with your search.

xxluckychicxx

Just going to chime in that Baby Trend "joggers" are not good quality. I bought a double to take to the fair last year, took it out of the box, loaded it up in the trunk, got to the fair and put DS (26 months, 30ish lbs) in it and the seat back snapped in half immediately :mad:. Lets just say that I was not impressed and took it back.

Sorry, I dont have any experience with the other one.

lovinwaves

So are you opposed to the idea of a used, nice quality stroller?

Sounds like you got your answer in several posts regarding which to pick of the two you want, but neither of those are going to be recommended for your usage. Also, neither of them are recommended for jogging.

Like I said, check your craigslist and get a nice used TRUE jogger(see picture below). It will be much safer for you and for your baby. :) I totally understand not wanting to spend alot of money on a stroller, but to be honest...almost all of my 20+strollers have I have owned over the past few years have all been used :D

It's going to be very hard to find a stroller that can be used for jogging, AND as an everyday stroller. That is why many Mom's have multiple strollers. What about finding a cheap used jogger, and then either buy new or used an everyday stroller...like a Maclaren or Peg?

3nf3o73pdZZZZZZZZZ93ga4feb4a8a5c51c4a.jpg

MissAllyLou

I have the Instep Safari double stroller, and though it's not popular around here, I :love: mine! I use is regularly with a 4 year old, 32 pounder, and a 1 1/2 year old 30 pounder, and it pushes like air! There's no hand brake though. I can jog with mine, I'm not a 'hardcore' runner by any means, but I can comfortably run with mine for a half hour or so a day. I bought mine (a double) off amazon last year for $186.

Kat_Momof3

just wanted to step in and agree... I own the babytrend expedition with swivel wheel and I love it, but I don't jog... I maybe jog all of 4 steps at most in a week... together.... rarely.

I just need air tires on a stroller for the zoo, the aquarium, parks, etc., where air tires make pushing it and holding a child's hand at the same time more doable.

they're not bad for all terrain use (well, rough terrain... I wouldn't use it on a real hiking trail), but they are NOT for true jogging/running.

Plus, you get what you pay for. The babytrend is great for light use like I do... using it primarily in the latespring-early fall and in between, but to be used day in and day out over periods of years, you need something built to last.

BOB and Baby Jogger are the first brands I'd start with.

you can always buy add-on products to give you the convenience pieces (cupholders/trays).

I think in the end it depends on how much use you are going to need it for and how fast you are really going to be going with it.

lpperry

Thanks for the help. I ordered the Instep Safari Jogger. I think it will meet my needs. It arrived, but of course they sent the wrong stroller. A double showed up on my doorstep. They are supposed to be sending the correct one in a few days! I hope I love it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC