Question New base mold for nautilus?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Maybe this has already been discussed, but i think I tend to see most threads..(lol..what a sad commentary on my life..) and I don't recall anything being said about the plastic base part being different on different nautilus seats?
I was at target today, and they had a Rachel seat out for sale. It wasthe first time I've seen one,and I was immediately, in thet "niggling in the back of your mind" kind of way struck that it was...different. (Other than being pink, obvioiusly:rolleyes:)
Anyway,within a few seconds, it hit me that the shape of the cupholder is different. I couldn't be sure though, since the display Reese wasn't there ( it was there for like 1 week and has been gone ever since..I have no clue what happened to it..:confused:) Anyway, when i got out to my car, I was able to look at DD's nauti ( crap..forget the name...one of the first Walmart ones from early last year - matrix or bravo?) and sure enough, the cupholderes ARE different.... The shape is just..different. the Rachel one is FLAT on the bottom,and dd's curves.....

Anyway...just wanted to throw this out there..does this mean they have differnt molds they are making the seat from? It must, right? I mean, the cupholder isn't an "add-on",it's part of the sculpted plastic of the base....I'm wondering if the base is any different in any other ways? Perhaps interior measurements? Anyone know? What about the other models? Are they all the same?
I had always thought the only differnce was the fabric, but at least on the Rachel, the actual plastic base is different. anyone?

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
huh...so, I just went to targets site to link to pics to show you guys,but in the stock pic, the Rachel has the exact same base as the other nautis.
So.....the change must be really recent if even the pics of the rachel show the original style base,right?
Or else the fact that I have had the flu for the past wekk and am just now ingesting my first solid food in days has completely warped my brain and I completely imagined the entire thing.

except i didn't.
The bottom of the cupholder on the rachel at my target is FLAT,not curved. i swear. maybe? yes. i think. i mean, I know. right.

*sigh*

SPJ&E

Hmm...we have a 9/08 Matrix and the bottom of the cupholder is flat. The cupholder on our 1/09 Reese is exactly the same. :confused:

NannyMom

I'm pretty sure our early 2008 Bravo (BRU) and out 10/08 Reese (Target) both have the flat sup holders. :confused:

crunchierthanthou

Hmm...we have a 9/08 Matrix and the bottom of the cupholder is flat. The cupholder on our 1/09 Reese is exactly the same. :confused:

am I misunderstanding or is the one in Sam's signature pic the rounded style the OP is talking about?

I kept an eye out while I was shopping today. Here's the Reese floor model at a Target near me. It's likely fairly recent DOM because it's a store that didn't have the GN until January.
0320091548.jpg

and the box for the Rachel shows the same design
0320091548a.jpg

oh, oh, oh wait. here we go. you can just see the edge of the cupholder in this Rachel pic I took a couple weeks ago-
0305091835b-1.jpg

You are not crazy. :D

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
OKAY...you all had me second guessing myself. So, I went back. On a SATURDAY.

The Rachel GN in my local target definitely has a differently-shaped cupholder. The bottom of the OUTSIDE of it is FLAT, not gently curved in like all the other GN's I have ever seen.
The pic on the outside of the rachel box, which has been posted to this thread, shows the curving cupholder. But the actual seat has a FLAT bottomed cupholder..
One more difference I noticed is that the red guide now has TWO bolts in it,top and bottom, not just the one at the top. Again,the box still had the old pic, but the actual seat was different. I tried to stare at it a while to determine if the belt guide itaself was shaped slightly differently...i do not THINK that it is, I think it just looks like it is at a slightly differnt angle because the second bolt throws off how you look at it.

Anyway....there you go.
I of course,had no camera with me. Sorry..

crunchierthanthou

OKAY...you all had me second guessing myself. So, I went back. On a SATURDAY.

The Rachel GN in my local target definitely has a differently-shaped cupholder. The bottom of the OUTSIDE of it is FLAT, not gently curved in like all the other GN's I have ever seen.
The pic on the outside of the rachel box, which has been posted to this thread, shows the curving cupholder. But the actual seat has a FLAT bottomed cupholder..

Anyway....there you go.
I of course,had no camera with me. Sorry..

look at the bottom of my second post. :whistle: you could have saved yourself a trip. ;)

henrietta

aren't they supposed to be shipping them at leat partially assembled now? maybe they've changed all of the bases as part of that.

i think so, b/c my sil bought one last night and said she didn't have to put the armrests on.

henrietta

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
lol..thanks crunchy,i missed that till it was too late.

they changed the assembly thing REALLY early on....it was only us freaks who went out and got one the first couple production batches from late 07, Jan 08, who had to assemble the WHOLE thing...it has been shipping/arriving mostly assembled for almost a year now, if i am remembering correctly, so I don't see how that could have had anything to do with it....I do want to go back now and see if anything else changed....lol...

SPJ&E

Yeah, I too thought you meant the actual bottom of the cupholder, lol. I've never paid any attention to that front, outside edge.

As far as the assembly goes, our 9/08 Matrix was unassembled except for the armrests. It was also in the HUGE box. The 1/09 Reece was in a small, squarish box and the only thing we had to do was put the headrest on.

MissAllyLou

My 08 Reese pattern has a flat cupholder, too. It came in a square box, not a tall one like my Matrix GN, and the bottom section was completely assembled. I just had to add the headpiece.

SPJ&E

Okay, I just looked (actually found some pictures) at both of ours and both cupholders have the rounded part at the front. It might be just my opinion, but I think they are exactly the same, it just depends on what angle you see them.

crunchierthanthou

I know we've settled this and everyone else has probably moved on, but I happened to be in the Target carseat aisle again today. :eek:

just for you OP-

0327091220.jpg

not that it matters since everyone is currently obsessing over the crotch strap.

Kat_Momof3

that is just so... weird.

I mean, originally, had anyone asked, I would have said the bottom of the old design looked odd, just because a cup isn't shaped like that... but now that I've looked at it so often and so long, the site of the new (more cup-like) is just too weird for me.

But yes.... check the strap depth, please!

is the cupholder any deeper now?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC