Question Ohio Booster Law

MonsterMom6

Anyone familiar with the new Ohio booster law that takes effect April 6?

I'm trying to understand if it's...
A. 8 years AND 4'9" = OK to be without booster
B. 8 years OR 4'9" = OK to be without booster

My kids will still be boostered until they pass the 5 point test...which could be prom night in my van:D. But I'd like to understand "the letter of the law".

Would my 54" 8 year old legally be allowed to ride using only the vehicle seat belt and no booster?

It was discussed a bit at a moms meeting last night and there seemed to be some confusion. The one who appeared to be the most informed and therefore most influential, understood it to mean that the child had to meet BOTH the age AND height requirement. If that is true, than then entire 2nd - 5th grade at our school will be in violation of the law, based on the height requirement. I expect that most parents of kids 8+, who are already out of boosters will just take their chances. It's also a secondary offense and actual tickets won't be issued until October.

I've seen very few PSAs on this, although I would hope they start showing up soon. Some news stations have done little blurbs, but that's it.

My apologies if this info is somewhere else. Well, I think I found it the verbage somewhere on this site or on link FROM this site a while ago. Still I had a hard time deciphering it.

AND I did a search on "Ohio booster" and got a TON of hits on posts from MissKatie:D:D:D

ADS

Qarin

This appears to be the text of the law as passed:
http://www.boostohiokids.org/booster_seat_law/proposed.htm

If this is the law, then it's 8 or 4'9". An 8 year old who is shorter than 4'9" is not legally required to be in a booster; a 6 year old who is 4'9" or taller is also not legally required to be in a booster.

When any child who is less than eight years of age and less than four feet nine inches in height, who is not required by division (A) or (B) of this section to be secured in a child restraint system, is being transported in a motor vehicle, other than a taxicab or public safety vehicle as defined in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code, that is required by the United States department of transportation to be equipped with seat belts at the time of manufacture or assembly, the operator of the motor vehicle shall have the child properly secured in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions on a booster seat that meets federal motor vehicle safety standards.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Correct, it's OR - *not* AND.

So if a 6 year old is 4'9", they may be out of boosters legally.

However unless a child is 4'9", they must remain boostered until their 8th birthday.

crunchierthanthou

that's the same as Utah's. I'm glad it's a height rather than weight requirement. Let's face it, more 6-7 year olds are 80 lbs than are 4'9". I only wish it was and, instead of or.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
that's the same as Utah's. I'm glad it's a height rather than weight requirement. Let's face it, more 6-7 year olds are 80 lbs than are 4'9". I only wish it was and, instead of or.

I agree.

I actually wish there was no age on it at all. I wish it was 4'9" - in every state.

I understand that not all 4'9" kids will pass the 5 step test in every vehicle, but that would catch the vast majority of kids.

The reason they won't do it? because a lot of adults aren't 4'9" - but really? why does that matter? if adults don't fit, they SHOULD be in a booster!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC