Traveling with a Radian

sirrahn

We got back last night from our trip, and I just wanted to say that traveling with the Radian was fabulous! We had two flights and a rental Sedona and it was so easy to deal with everywhere. I attached a carry strap that came from a sturdy LLBean computer bag and we just slung the seat over a shoulder. I was afraid it was going to get too heavy, but even I managed it through Hartsfield (which is a big airport!). It's heavy, but balanced well and wasn't bad at all.

I was especially glad that DD could use the tray table when we got parked on the tarmac for two hours due to bad weather before our flight actually took off:p Thank goodness for Tivo transfers to the netbook too!

The older kids managed the SR/C bottoms fairly well. We did manage to bungee them to our roller bags for the long trek to the rental car area, but they carried them through security and on and off the plane just fine.

People commented everywhere that we were brave to travel with 4, but really it went very smoothly.:thumbsup:

ADS

romanoma

Absolutely agree!! I want to get a second radian so both kids can have one the next time we fly, using the EFT for DD was THE BIGGEST PITA EVER compared to the radian!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They are really easy to carry. I just wish they installed well RF on a plane so we didn't have to bring something different for the baby!

Pixels

I'm actually looking forward to the next time that we fly, and we can try out the Radian travelling. I've carried it around on my back a fair bit, never very far/long at once, but frequently. It makes it actually possible to get out the door by myself with carseat, diaper bag, and child all being carried simultaneously, along with juggling keys and doors.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the Radian takes up a LOT of front to back room on a plane seat, more than the MA. The ones with the new base might work better and be more upright, but I don't think anyone's tried it yet...

Pixels

It is bigger rear-facing than the Marathon?

Because the Marathon fits fine.

CowMoo Marathon next to (actually puzzled with) a Radian:
picture.php

You can see the Radian has a taller shell, and extends father forward by quite a bit.

vonfirmath

Well... I ordered the Radian today. He'll be a month over 2 years. I'll be prepared to put him FF in the plane then

Then he can go back RF in the car, right?

Would it be THAT bad if the harness was a little bit wrong on the plane so I didn't have to rethread it before putting in the car?

HOpe that it is a recent DOM! The store is completely out of stock and ordering new

InternationalMama

I've never been on a plane that would have room for it RF, even by the bulkhead seats.

Just lurking on this thread b/c I'm planning to get a Radian for travel. I was told on another thread that if I got a bulkhead seat I would be able to RF the Radian. But you're thinking even then it wouldn't work?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know. With the new RF boot it's maybe possible, in SOME planes, with a LOT of work.

I don't think so on most planes, even with the new boot.

Pixels

Well... I ordered the Radian today. He'll be a month over 2 years. I'll be prepared to put him FF in the plane then

Then he can go back RF in the car, right?

Would it be THAT bad if the harness was a little bit wrong on the plane so I didn't have to rethread it before putting in the car?

HOpe that it is a recent DOM! The store is completely out of stock and ordering new

There's no rule that says once you FF, you have to stay FF, so yes, absolutely turn him back RF in the car. ;) If you're worried that he'll want to FF in the car all the time, just explain to him that planes have different rules than cars, and on planes he has to FF, in cars he has to RF. That should make sense to him.

A little bit wrong I wouldn't worry about, like if he was just over the slots. If he's a lot over, then I would rethread. No top tethers on the plane so you don't have to worry about the SafeStop, at least.

It should be a new DOM if they're ordering new stock. The two I got in November or December were August and September DOMs, and that was from Amazon. You definitely want a September or later DOM to get the new features.

vonfirmath

I'm not concerned about him getting confused about that. He's a fairly happy car seat baby. I'm more concerned about the need to rethread the harnesses, the way the belts go through for forward versus rear-facing, etc.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The belt won't be an issue; you'll just use the appropriate belt path. You will have to re-thread but it really doesn't take more than a minute or two, it's pretty simple on the Radian, especially when not using SafeStop. And you will have to find something to do with the boot for rear-facing, but it's small enough to fit in a carry-on.

vonfirmath

The Radian has steel in the seat. Is this going to be trouble going through security? Should I warn them ahead of time?

Splash

I'm seriously wondering if I should just get one for the trip, or borrow if possible. I hate that seat though! But it's gonna be sooo much easier...

Harrumph.

As for it not fitting RF on a plane, I doubt I would ever use a convertible RF on a plane regardless of age/weight. If the kid isn't in a bucket, he'd be FF. I don't care if he's over 1/20 or not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC