Seriously, is this SAFE???

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yeah, not allowed here.

In Europe they do transport almost all newborns in car beds. I see the point of wanting the baby to lay flat, especially for babies with breathing difficulties or whatever, but there is at least one brand that allows a flat installation while rear-facing (instead of side-facing); that's the only one I'd consider for a non-medical-need infant. (In fact, I would want one like that if I had an infant with a medical need. Can some manufacturer here please get on that? LOL.)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Carbeds don't provide the same degree of protection as a semi-upright rf'ing seat. You're correct that use of them should be limited.

Watching the crash video on that site that baby doesn't look to have that gentle of a ride...

It's not certified for use here, so from that perspective it's not safe. In terms of actual injury risk though, I can't really comment. I imagine it would compare to a car bed, but I don't know the actual difference in injury risk between a car bed and a semi-upright rf'ing seat either - I just know that carbeds are reserved only for special circumstances and aren't as protective as a rf'ing seat.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
We had a carbed (the Cosco Dreamride, which also converted to a RF infant seat.) They should definitely be reserved for special circumstances, at least the ones available here in the states. They are quite tricky to install correctly and take up a lot of space.

Jennifer mom to my 7

But it only rf to 22 pounds:( At least it has a 5 point harness. The bebeconfort windoo carrycot can actually be used in the car. It even has eps foam in the head portion of it, but it only has a waist strap and cushioning.
loolacarrycotonframe.jpg

The buckling mechanism seems really confusing also, and of course takes up 2 seatbelts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC