Any advice for a techie to be?

ADS

Katina128

Really? my car? why is that? My car is NEVER clean. LOL I have 2 boys. That's asking for a miracle. I have a bad back, too, so cleaning it really hurts me. I guess DH will have to do it for me.

sixmaybemore

Yes, they ask what kinds of seat belts you have in your car, if you have LATCH, etc, and then they use the cars for teaching the installs.

Katina128

well shoot. I don't want them seeing my kids' crumbs, so I'll pray DH is home to clean it for me. LOL If he's out of town, though, they'll have to use someone else's car cuz I can't hurt my back doing it before the class.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Go in to the class with an open mind knowing that there is going to be a lot of information and you might have a lot of initial "yeah, but" to what you're taught, but that doesn't make the information you're being given wrong. Be willing to ask questions if you're unsure, and just generally prepare to be exhausted and wiped out at the end of it all, as well as hopefully having a sense of accomplishment. :thumbsup:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Cut your fingernails and leave hand/wrist jewelry at home.

Bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and maybe a hat.

Bring something to pull your hair back with.

Wear shoes that won't slip off (i.e., no clogs, flip-flops, etc.)

Wear pants and shirts that, uh, cover everything from any angle.

Have fun. :D

Mom to a few

Congrats on signing up for the class! I agree with all the other advice given--especially about making the right clothing choices!

I'm not trying to be rude at all, but I was wondering how you will be able to install seats if your back is so bad that you can't clean out your car? We have to carry carseats around, bend in and out of cars, and installing lots of seats can make you sore even if you don't have any specific back problems. My back always aches for a couple of days after really busy seat checks. Have you talked to your instructor about your back problems?

pastrygirl

I'm going to be doing the class in May- Would it be of any benefit for me to have my seat there with me?
For me, it was, because during one of the tasks (or test, I can't remember), there weren't enough high-weight seats around. I was able to use my own Marathon, but thankfully no one else needed it so I didn't have to worry about it being mistreated.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm going to be doing the class in May- Would it be of any benefit for me to have my seat there with me?

A lot of people take their seats, but I didn't. Most people in the class will be completely clueless about car seats and could very easily mess something up (inadvertently, of course--I'm thinking misrouting straps, etc.) Probably nothing that can't be undone, but still. Also, over the course of the week, seats are installed/uninstalled tons of times, and people drag them, drop them, etc. It just wasn't a risk I wanted to take with my own seat.

NVMBR02

I had my class a few weeks ago. I did bring my seats since I needed them to pick up my kids. We didn't use them a ton but they did use them. They weren't brought in the classroom so people didn't mess with them a lot but the did practice installing the Radian in a few cars and learned about using the rear facing tether.

We used all the cars so I would recommend a somewhat clean car and comfortable clothing. I have shortish nails and still managed to break one anyway.

Overall I had a great time and I hope you do too!

Katina128

I could do the cleaning, but then I'd be sore and miserable for the class. So, better to be sore and miserable after the class than before I ever even start it. KWIM? Ironically, I herniated my disc installing my son's Marathon in my van in 2005. So, I'm now extra extra careful about how I install my seats so that I don't blow that disc again.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I have/had a bad back (exercising the past few months has improved it) and I can still do installs. You can still do it, you just need to be aware of your limits. When doing seat checks you're mostly just teaching the parents anyway - they do all the hard work! :D

Katina128

That's exactly what I've been told Debbie, that the parents need to do the installs themselves, otherwise, they don't learn how to do it right.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Check with your lead instructor about whether he/she would want to have you bring along your own carseats for use during the course, and also factor in whether you would be willing to have others handle or mishandle them during the class. :twocents: My course instructors didn't want to use anyone's personal carseats and requested we allow our vehicles to be used, and preferably have our vehicle owner's manuals along, too. The course instructors provided a Safe Kids vanload of carseats and dolls for us to utilize for practice and assessment installations.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC