Now What?

sixmaybemore

J is going to be 11 in a few days. He does *not pass the 5 step test. He is 62 inches, and 90+ lbs. Currently he is in an Olli Clek. I'm starting to get worried about the ill fitting lap portion of the l/s belt, and him nearing the 100 lb weight limit of the seat.

Ideas? Thoughts? I've tried him in different seating positions (third row, second row, etc) in our Suburban, and we have the problem of the lap portion of the belt riding up too far in every seating position.

ETA: Jordie is autistic, and has a hard time sitting still. Even if he were to pass the five step test, I would be nervous b/c of the way he lifts his legs up, scoots around on the seat, and so on. He's verbal and fairly cooperative, but doesn't seem to have control over his impulses as such.

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Is he like 91 pounds, or 99?

If he is closer to the lower end it could take him a year or more to reach the weight limit, and by then he may fit a lot better without a booster.

Of course, you could always make the parental decision to continue using it after 100 pounds if the fit is better with it, than without it.

sixmaybemore

I'm not sure of his exact weight. Have you heard about how much 11 yo boys can eat? I'm here to tell you it is TRUE. He's scaring me with how much he is eating lol.

Good point about using it past 100 lbs. I'll get him weighed this weekend and adjust my freak out accordingly. ;)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
LOL! Yes, Gypsy's been watching my boys hit that stage (and pass it!) They tend to freak me out at times, too, but then they seem to do like toddlers around 30 and 40 pounds, where they seem to shoot up in weight quickly, but then even out as their height goes up and compensates.

Thomas went from just over 90 lbs to over a hundred pounds very quickly (in about three months), but then he seemed to hang out at right around 100 for over a year (in spite of the fact that he was outgrowing shoes like crazy.)

emandbri

I'm fairly sure my oldest has been over 100 lbs for the last 3 years and is still in a booster. He really, truly, doesn't fit right without in my van.

sixmaybemore

They tend to freak me out at times, too, but then they seem to do like toddlers around 30 and 40 pounds, where they seem to shoot up in weight quickly, but then even out as their height goes up and compensates.

My almost 8 yo asked me the other night what he could put by his bed for a midnight snack. Apparently he's been waking up hungry in the middle of the night! Him, I'm already teaching how to cook, cos in a few years there is no way I'll be able to keep up with his appetite lol.

Maedze

A couple months ago? Michael from Clek posted a thread about it. The Olli, Oobr and...one other one :eek: are all being upped to 120.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC