TF in Civic or Silverado? etc.

mommycat

So here's the deal. I have decided DS2 is too close to the top of the SS1 for comfort so I am taking it out of circulation. Also, since I just acquired my MA and got rid of an AOE, I have been playing musical carseats.

This is what I have, and the kids are in all the cars regularly:

Grandparents' cars
2001 Civic
FF Champagne Radian
RF Hammer AOE(30lb) (yet to be installed and I will need to make sure my dad can re-install. Also considering a 35-lb Scenera as an alternative partly for front-back space for my dad behind the wheel and a tall carpool buddy.)

?? Buick Century
Evenflo Traditions (dark greyish)
RF Onyx MA
I am happy with this car I think since they are able to re-install fairly well with these two seats.

Our Vehicles
2004 Silverado
FF Granite Radian
RF Misty Morning True Fit

2007 Civic
FF Cowmoo MA (This is SO staying in my car! at least for now till the love simmers down a little)
RF Hammer AOE(30lb)

Here's where you all come in:

1. Would you switch any seats around? I am particularly wondering about the TF. I like how it matches the Granite RN but I am wondering... it seems to have more SIP than the AOE, so I would like to put it in the vehicle that would need it most. But I can't decide whether that would be the truck (big but not sure of crash ratings), or the Civic (small but excellent crash ratings).

2. Should I maybe consider something that RF tethers for the truck since it's an extended cab, so the glass is right there behind the seat? I know the jury seems to still be out on the RF tethering thing in Canada. (I have been tethering the MA in Grandma's car to keep the seat positioned better after they have someone riding in front with the seat shoved back quite a lot. By the way, that's another question I need to dig up the answer to, is bracing ok with the MA, because they can't seem to remember to not do this and it's typically wedged in there pretty good whenever I look at it...)

3. Should I get the Scenera? They are aopparently on sale at Walmart for $65 and I am also considering that as an option for our trip to Europe in September, so it seems like a good idea to get it while it's on sale.

ADS

Pixels

1. The Civic is IMO the vehicle to worry about SIP more, just because the truck is higher. Any side impact would be more devastating to a passenger in the compact sedan than in the pickup.

2. RF tethering is something to consider, but not necessarily something I'd lose sleep about, KWIM? I haven't heard a lot of stories of kids going through/being injured by that back glass. I just don't know that it's a true concern, especially in a convertible (which I believe in general are less prone to rebound to the extent that infant only seats do). Bracing is ok with the MA, as long as there aren't advanced frontal airbags to worry about. I'm more concerned with them moving the front seat after the tether is installed. I know that Britax used to allow the RFing tether to adjust the recline angle, but it was breaking the recline mechanism, so they changed their stance.

3. Well, you already have 8 seats for 2 kids, including some seats that travel well. Does the RN fit RFing in the truck? If you can teach the grandparents to install the Scenera, you could swap it for the Onyx MA or the RN (you might have to shuffle more if DS1 doesn't fit in the Scenera) so you can RF tether in the truck.

mommycat

So I guess a swap is in order to move the TF into my car. Which on further consideration... might make it a tight squeeze to install even though we don't need our seats back all that far. But if it really makes us feel cramped I might stick to the AOE until he gets to 30 lbs.

As far as the truck glass, you are right that I can usually get the seat installed so it hardly moves up/down that way at all. It obvioulsy would have more force moving it in a crash but it's a lot better than a looser acceptable install which pivots more, yes? I have never tried anything but the TF and AOE RF in the truck. I suppose I could swap the TF and the RN between kids in the truck and have the RN RF instead.

DS1 no longer fits in the AOEs, so all the HWH seats were originally for him. I traded an AOE to get the Chase since my friend's son doesn't need the taller slots yet. I decided to use the MA for DS1 RF in Grandma's car because they take the seats out so much and the AOE was not going back in quite well enough to make me happy. The Britax with the double latch straps is a piece of cake. The Scenera would be replacing the AOE in my dad's car - occasional space issues and hopefully a more straightforward install?

I count myself lucky, because my issue is starting to be that I want to get to personally use all these great seats but I can only fit 2 in my car at a time! :love:

I haven't seen the issues with the recline in the MA - it seems odd that it would break it with the MA in full recline - would it make it unable to stay upright or something? That would not be good! Need to find out more about this.

Pixels

I'm not sure exactly what the problem with the MAs is, other than breaking the recline mechanism if you try to adjust the recline angle using the top tether. Sorry that I can't be more help than that, but at least now you know it's something to look into.

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Overtightening the RF tether on the Britax could cause two problems. Yes, it has been found to break the recline mechanism so that it won't stay upright. If the seat won't go upright, you can't use it FF after 33/35# (so really not at all if you RF to the limits). Also, the Britax seats now have rip-stitch energy absorbing tethers. If you get the tether too tight (more than just removing the slack), it could affect the integrity of the rip-stitch feature.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC