Alabama pilot program for schoolbus seatbelt

joyride

Did I missed the thread about this?
Never saw this type of bus harness before.
Joy

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2008/10/us_wants_em_buckled_up_on_smal.html

610x.jpg

ADS

nevaehsmommy

how do they plan on enforcing this...?

A bus with 40 kids is hard enough with out another power play.....I am all for the seat belts but I dont think it is do-able

Kyras_Mama

It sounds like it only applies to the smaller school buses which should make enforcing it easier. I'd think they could enforce it the same way they always enforced rules on the school bus when I was a kid, you don't wear the belt and you get kicked off the bus for x-days and your parent who then has to get you back and forth to school is responsible for disciplining you so it doesn't happen again. I'd think too that MOST school age kids could unbuckle themselves in case of an emergency, especially if they still do the practice drills that they did when I was little.

mommaon112903

How would they unbuckle them all to get them out in the case of an emergency/accident?

That is what worries me too. I live in AL and remeber the serious bus accident a couple of years ago when some of the students were killed-I do not think that the seat belts would have saved any lives, it may have done just the opposite actually.

How on earth do they expect to get them buckled, un-buckled and into school at an appriopriate time without the children getting to the bus stop at un-godly hour?

LuvBug

This is a study being conducted by the UTCA. It includes 12 buses(normal sized, holding roughly 52 students), placed across the state, equipped with different types of bus-belts, aides, and monitoring equipment. It is projected to be a 3 year study across 10 school districts.

I've emailed my coordinator to get more information, because I know there were some updates that included downfalls to the study's setup.

I forgot all about this, as it wasn't suppose to launch until the end of 2008. It launched with the new school year. I will see what I can find.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC