My good deed for the day...

xxluckychicxx

Me and my sister met up at BRU today. I needed diapers and a few things and she was just coming to tag along. Well, on the way there she called and asked if I would help her pick out a good car seat for her son. H is 25lbs, 32in, and 12 months adjusted (30 weeker). For the past 4-5 months he has been riding around FFing, mostly in an OHS that is 5 years past expiration.

So I met her and installed DD's MA right next to H's nasty, expired OHS and we headed to BRU. She picked out the orange and black Scenera and we took it to her car to install. I swear she goes through cars like underwear and she never, not once, has gotten a car seat friendly car. Right now she has a '95 Celica, and wow that was a PITA. I tried RFing but could not get an acceptable install, so I flipped it FFing :( and got it barely acceptable. I'm going to have her bring it back over sometime this week and try to get it RFing again, but I'm not sure its gonna work. I atleast got him much safer than what he was in.

I still worry about the little guy though. She is a horrible driver. Literally she gets a new car atleast every 2 months because she either A) wrecks or B) blows the engine from driving WAY too fast. Luckily for H he's never been in the car when she's wrecked in the past.

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Right now she has a '95 Celica, and wow that was a PITA. I tried RFing but could not get an acceptable install, so I flipped it FFing and got it barely acceptable. I'm going to have her bring it back over sometime this week and try to get it RFing again, but I'm not sure its gonna work.

What problems were you having? I'm sure we can give you some good installation tips before you need to try again.

xxluckychicxx

What problems were you having? I'm sure we can give you some good installation tips before you need to try again.

The seats are very squishy, molded bucket seats with long belt stocks. Even after twisting the female end the male end was right on the edge of the belt path, preventing it from getting tight enough.

I had the same trouble FFing and the ALR allowed the seatbelt to loosen some even after it had clicked in all the way. I would get the seatbelt "clicked in" to the ALR as much as it would, and once I would let go it would loosen some. It was okay side to side, but front to back was border line acceptable. You could pull the seat forward about an inch or so and I was not happy with it either.

Hopefully atleast some of that made sense :eek:.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Also remember that the Scenera has a 34" height minimum to be seated FF...so he MUST be RF until he reaches 34".

Susan

zeo2ski

Try getting it as tight as it will go, then unbuckle and feed it back into the retractor a click or two then rebuckle.

How's the recline RFing? If pool noodles are allowed, wouldn't the noodle bring the front of the seat up a little and help with the long stalks? Provided it didn't put it past 45 degrees.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC