you know you're a tech when. . .

flipper68

Senior Community Member
Was on a home visit for a little guy with multiple disabilities yesterday. He's going to have surgery on his hips/legs soon and will be casted in a spica and/or broomstick (chest to at least knee cast and/or leg cast with rod to keep legs spread wide)f or 3-4 weeks after. Mom talked about how she was going to need pants made to fit him (he's too little for 'tear away' pants).

I then asked, "What about the car seat?" Mom kinda freaked: "They told me they will loan us a w/c with leg support, but what about the car seat? How am I going to travel with him? I never even thought of that. . . "

She's GOOD with follow through and I'm sure she will (already has) call her doctor/hospital to find out about Hippo/Spelcast seat AND we have special needs techs/loaner special needs seats at our local rehab hospital as a plan B. Funny how the doctor/staff talked about w/c but not car seat and that my first thought.

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
What about pants/one pieice outfits with the snaps that go around the inside of the legs for changing diapers?

Will he fit in those?

Susan

flipper68

Senior Community Member
SusanMae said:
What about pants/one pieice outfits with the snaps that go around the inside of the legs for changing diapers?

Will he fit in those?

Susan

Probably, he's a skinny tyke - but remember he's going to have his hips/legs in a cast with a rod between his knees/thighs. Pants with crotch snaps would have to go over his head and down. Tear away - like a diaper will be easier.

Lea_Ontario

flipper68 said:
Probably, he's a skinny tyke - but remember he's going to have his hips/legs in a cast with a rod between his knees/thighs. Pants with crotch snaps would have to go over his head and down. Tear away - like a diaper will be easier.

Why would they have to go over his head ? They're open like a skirt until you do up the snaps, at least all but 1 pair we've had have been (and that pair had solid cuffs, so could still be pulled on even with the rod, then done up)

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I see what the problem is with pants that snap in the crotch. they would have to go over his head because the waistband part wouldn't fit over his legs with the rod in between, right? They could go over his head, though, and would probably work fine.

Lea_Ontario

stayinhomewithmy3 said:
I see what the problem is with pants that snap in the crotch. they would have to go over his head because the waistband part wouldn't fit over his legs with the rod in between, right? They could go over his head, though, and would probably work fine.

Ahh, okay - that makes sense. D'oh !

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
One peice outfits would work as well. When I put on a one peice outfit on a baby/toddler I take it over their head.

My grandmother cared for a toddler in the 80's who was in this type of cast---one peices and overalls where what he wore all winter.

I think breakaways would have to be modified. They breakaway on the outside of the leg, so you would still have to do have snaps up the inside of the legs to accomodate the bar and for diaper changes/bathroom useage.

These are the kinds of outfits I'm talking about:
http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductList.aspx?DeptID=327&PCatID=31748&CatID=32434&CatTyp=DEP&Dep=Kids%27&Pcat=Infant+Boys&Cat=Coveralls&RefPageName=CategoryAll.aspx&RefDeptID=327&RefCatID=31748&cmAMS_T=U3&cmAMS_C=C2&CmCatId=327|28384|31748

Or just shirts and overalls like these:
http://www.kohls.com/products/produ...LDER<>folder_id=369477799&bmUID=1159037768962

Susan

LEAW

Though he's still small, they will need HUGE clothing to fit over the cast... the kid I worked with - we took sweatpants 2-3 sizes too big, cut down the outside of the leg from hip to ankle, and put in a strip of velcro along the cut.

Though it's fall, I'd suggest making shorts instead of pants, and then investing in some nice warm socks to cover his toes. The cast will provide plenty of insulation to the rest of his legs (and body). You can do shorts with a snap/velcro crotch instead, since they can snap above the bar between his legs.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
To add insult to injury, I just found out that our local Children's Hospital will SELL the Hippo/Spelcast or EZ-On Vest, but does not loan or rent these seats! What a disappointment! They'll loan the wheel chair with leg support but not a CR. AND, while the w/c had been discussed, no one had mentioned the CR until I did. And just how were you planning for the child to get home from the hospital?

I'm sure it's because people have abused/neglected them in the past, but geeesh. $400 for a seat to be used for a month or so.

And I'm pretty sure his mom will have the wardrobe under control. I'm still liking "tear away" clothes but that's probably because I'm more familiar with older kids in this type of cast and it's very hard to manever things over the head and torso when you can't bend at the waist/hips. In "tear away" mode, the clothes can be laid out like a diaper and then the child can laid on top of that and "zipped" up. The "diaper/tear away can slide under the child.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am *shocked* that they won't loan the special seats. That is ridiculous! Most hospitals will loan out carbeds for preemies (if they have them), so why not a seat for a child who is in a splica cast? That is crazy!

I would call around and see if you can locate somewhere that might loan them out.

I still can't believe that! Sheesh!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
A lot of hospitals have gotten away from loaning seats for the exact reasons we tell people not to buy used seats. A lot of insurances will cover the purchase of the seat though as long as they have a rx for it etc and it often has to go through the durable medical equipment part of insurance. You also have to remember that the Spelcast is almost identical to an MA so it can be used even w/out the cast on. The nurses/instructors here think the Radian will also work really well b/c it's narrow and has really low sides. If you could find a place to try that or if they were willing to just order one and then send it back if needed, that would be cheaper if insurance did not cover the Britax seat.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
The reasoning makes sense. My beef is that it wasn't discussed ahead of time, so now they're facing surgery soon (it's been cancelled once) and haven't gotten the CR set up yet (much less gotten the RX and approval to buy from insurance).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC