Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

:)

Thanks
    Last edited by Mama!; 03-19-2009 at 01:27 PM.
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member melniemi's Avatar

Re: Wanna see something scary?

It does fit her great.

Not scary, fits fine, totally acceptable for use.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.  

Unregistered

Sorry for hijacking but got a questions on how lap belts are supposed to fit.

The lap belt on kids in a booster are supposed to fit like its shown in the pic right?
    Lap belts supposed to fit adults differntly? Every seat belt I have been in the lap belt does not fit me that way nor any other adults. I am at least 5 ft 6 and my dh is almost 6. When the kids are in a belt alone are the supposed to fit like the pic?

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sorry for hijacking but got a questions on how lap belts are supposed to fit.

The lap belt on kids in a booster are supposed to fit like its shown in the pic right?
    Lap belts supposed to fit adults differntly? Every seat belt I have been in the lap belt does not fit me that way nor any other adults. I am at least 5 ft 6 and my dh is almost 6. When the kids are in a belt alone are the supposed to fit like the pic?

It IS a beautiful fit, OP, and I'd be perfectly comfortable with it for emergencies/vacations, etc.

PP, to answer the question, YES, this is an optimal example of how the lap belt should fit everyone who is using a lap shoulder belt, whether in the belt alone or with the booster.

Because adults are shaped differently than kids (and usually somewhat more fluffy ), the fit can feel different, but certain elements should still be met.

When you sit down, push the lap belt low below your hips, and then snug and tighten firmly with the shoulder belt to achieve optimal fit. The belt should lie along your thighs. You should be able to feel your hips ABOVE the lap belt, and the inside of the lap belt should not be lying along your abdomen.

I think the shoulder belt looks like it falls a bit wide on her shoulder- using the shoulder belt clip thing from the seat would fix that.

I don't think it's scary, either, that a backless Turbobooster would fit a 45" tall, 40lb five year old- they're totally designed for such children (they're labeled for 4yrs+, 40lbs+). Just because "we" at a car-seat board don't prefer backless boosters for 5-year-olds doesn't mean they're not pretty safe, much safer than the seatbelt alone, and they're certainly what a lot of people go buy when they notice that their kid has outgrown the old harnessed or shield seat (or they want to make their lives "easier", or carpool, or whatever) and the law says the child must still be in something... they SHOULD fit well! Most parents aren't going to worry much about whether the seatbelt fits right with the booster, so it's up to the booster to be designed so that it does. So yay, Graco!
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

Yep, what we would recommend is different than real world. My concern with backless is the lack of support in a side impact crash and what happens if a child falls asleep. I was just chatting with a mom who wanted to know about putting her girls into backless boosters and I told her if they fell asleep they could fall right of the shoulder belt she changed her mind.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

I'm in agreement that it's not really scary at all. She's an appropriate age and size for a booster - I'd hope that it would fit her well.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

I was being pretty tongue in cheek when I said "scary". In relation to c-s.org, and not the real world.

She has a Regent and HBB's, so I'm not actually concerned about having to use it, but she'd fall right out if she fell asleep.

So I wasn't being serious
    DD-11, adult belt/ nbb
    DS-9, Vivo
    DD-2.5 ~24#, 33", RF in RA 55