Wanna see something scary?

ADS
U

Unregistered

Sorry for hijacking but got a questions on how lap belts are supposed to fit.

The lap belt on kids in a booster are supposed to fit like its shown in the pic right?
Lap belts supposed to fit adults differntly? Every seat belt I have been in the lap belt does not fit me that way nor any other adults. I am at least 5 ft 6 and my dh is almost 6. When the kids are in a belt alone are the supposed to fit like the pic?

Maedze

Sorry for hijacking but got a questions on how lap belts are supposed to fit.

The lap belt on kids in a booster are supposed to fit like its shown in the pic right?
Lap belts supposed to fit adults differntly? Every seat belt I have been in the lap belt does not fit me that way nor any other adults. I am at least 5 ft 6 and my dh is almost 6. When the kids are in a belt alone are the supposed to fit like the pic?

It IS a beautiful fit, OP, and I'd be perfectly comfortable with it for emergencies/vacations, etc. :thumbsup:

PP, to answer the question, YES, this is an optimal example of how the lap belt should fit everyone who is using a lap shoulder belt, whether in the belt alone or with the booster.

Because adults are shaped differently than kids (and usually somewhat more fluffy :p), the fit can feel different, but certain elements should still be met.

When you sit down, push the lap belt low below your hips, and then snug and tighten firmly with the shoulder belt to achieve optimal fit. The belt should lie along your thighs. You should be able to feel your hips ABOVE the lap belt, and the inside of the lap belt should not be lying along your abdomen.

Qarin

I think the shoulder belt looks like it falls a bit wide on her shoulder- using the shoulder belt clip thing from the seat would fix that.

I don't think it's scary, either, that a backless Turbobooster would fit a 45" tall, 40lb five year old- they're totally designed for such children (they're labeled for 4yrs+, 40lbs+). Just because "we" at a car-seat board don't prefer backless boosters for 5-year-olds doesn't mean they're not pretty safe, much safer than the seatbelt alone, and they're certainly what a lot of people go buy when they notice that their kid has outgrown the old harnessed or shield seat (or they want to make their lives "easier", or carpool, or whatever) and the law says the child must still be in something... they SHOULD fit well! Most parents aren't going to worry much about whether the seatbelt fits right with the booster, so it's up to the booster to be designed so that it does. So yay, Graco!

emandbri

Yep, what we would recommend is different than real world. My concern with backless is the lack of support in a side impact crash and what happens if a child falls asleep. I was just chatting with a mom who wanted to know about putting her girls into backless boosters and I told her if they fell asleep they could fall right of the shoulder belt she changed her mind. :D

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm in agreement that it's not really scary at all. She's an appropriate age and size for a booster - I'd hope that it would fit her well. :eek:

Mama!

I was being pretty tongue in cheek when I said "scary". In relation to c-s.org, and not the real world.:whistle:

She has a Regent and HBB's, so I'm not actually concerned about having to use it, but she'd fall right out if she fell asleep.

So I wasn't being serious :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC