Which seat for flying alone with kid?

Splash

Charlie is over 40 pounds, so that severely limits my choices. I'm not taking the Frontier.

I have a GN, a BV, maybe/probably a MA, and I can possibly borrow a Radian. Don't know what car I'm going into, but I'd probably like to avoid the RN due to install issues. The BV I also think is ridiculous. So my only real options that are worth anything are the GN and the MA. I *could* let him ride on the seat plane and buy a RSTV :whistle:. But really, i have no use for the RSTV :crying:.

So, which would you take? He might not even fit in the MA by then, at which point I would have to take the GN. Or buy an AOE for the trip :rolleyes:

I'll have to get him, luggage, and seat through the airport, pick up a rental, get it to the rental, yada yada. I'm most likely by flying direct, so it shouldn't be too big a deal. I was just gonna get a tie down and strap the seat to the suitcase and carry him in the ergo.

I've flown once with Charlie, and then I had a companion and he was in a baby basket. I thought about taking a stroller, but I think that will be more work.

ADS

Pixels

If you're familiar with it, and have experience installing it in a variety of vehicles, I'd say the RN with backpack straps. If not, then it is best to avoid. It installs super easy with LATCH, but at over 40 pounds, Charlie would be over the weight limit on LATCH in some vehicles.

If you're not comfortable with the idea of a FFing seatbelt install of the RN in an unknown car (and really, I can't blame you), then don't take it. The GN you could take apart, possibly fit the back into a rolling carryon, and have him carry the bottom?

Yeah, skip the stroller. Just use a rolling carryon or a folding luggage cart. If you use the luggage cart with a high weight rating, you could strap whatever seat you take onto it, and use that as a stroller if Charlie's legs get tired.

J-max

CPST Instructor
To tell you the truth, I would go with the RSTV. I think the GN is a PITB to install on the plane. The MA is easy to install and you can lug it around, but the RSTV you just toss in your carry-on. We bought our RSTVs for a similar situation (3 week train trip where we would use a taxi 6 times, and I did not want to haul 3 seats with us) and thought we would not use them again, but because we have them, they are a great back up seat, and my #2 is very good at using it correctly (or telling people how to), so I send it with her to a friends house, or use it when we are going with someone else for a quick trip so I don't have to reinstall seats.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
If you could find out ahead of time which vehicle you are getting, and know the compatibility - I'd take the Radian - hands down. It's awesome on airplanes!

Next choice would be the Marathon, if he still fits.

Last choice would be the Nautilus, just because it's bulky.

Splash

I don't own a Radian, I'd have to borrow a Radian. And he really disliked it when we did own one (wish I'd kept it so he could ride in my dad's truck, but that's neither here nor there... I sold that thing NIB for less than half of the new price), so I'm worried it would upset him more. The only real options are the GN and MA.

Maedze

I'd get the Radian. Easy to move around, installs easily in the airplane, and honestly as long as you know what you are doing it installs easily FF in most vehicles too.

Splash

I'd get the Radian. Easy to move around, installs easily in the airplane, and honestly as long as you know what you are doing it installs easily FF in most vehicles too.

I've tried it in multiple vehicles, and have never gotten an acceptable belt install. And the kid hates it. I don't know why I even mentioned it. IF the person could even loan it to me.

Maedze

Do you know what car you have waiting for you? The Radian has a 48 lb LATCH limit...so you have any 48 pound car, you're all set.

Have you used the standard 'tricks' installing? It seems at first it's terribly difficult, but once you know what you're doing so to speak, they go in quite easily.

daniele_ut

If you can still carry him in the Ergo, I would really hope that he still fits in the MA!

In your case I would probably take the MA. I've traveled with it a LOT when we only had ds and it's heavy, but it's the most reliably easy seat to install in the wide variety of rental cars we've had. Last time I installed it alone I asked to preboard, had DS walk ahead of me down the aisle, sat him in my seat while I installed it and then put him in the seat.

That said, DS is now 4.5 and weighs 40 lbs and I don't think that I will be taking his seat on the plane for our trip to NJ in a few months. I'll be flying by myself with both kids. We'll only be in car for 15 minutes each way to and from the airport (NYC area) and for one other 15 minute excursion. The rest of the time we'll be walking or taking the ferry or subway. At this point I am leaning toward buying the booster I've been contemplating for emergencies and using it for this trip.

NVMBR02

If the Radian is out I would probably take the GN. While it is still awkward I think the cupholder and cubies would come in handy. I have travled with our MA before and it isn't my favorite but it does the job.

crunchierthanthou

I've mentioned it before, but this-

(which is a MA on a luggage cart).

At almost 4, he should be able to walk most of the way. Ds was 3 in that picture and only rode when he was tired (5 AM after an overnight flight), or when we needed to rush. I know it only shows the cart in that picture, but it's not hard to wheel a suitcase in the other hand.

Also, if you fly into BWI, do not waste your money on a smartecarte. you can only use it as far as walking out of the terminal and then have to board a shuttle to get to the rental cars. I learned that the hard way. :rolleyes:

emandbri

I would take the MA. I can get a good install with the radian in my van only when I recline the seat and bring it up which toyota says not to do. :whistle:

I have had a really hard time getting it forward facing in Brian's car and rear-facing in my MIL's.

AtTheSouthDam

I'd take the MA. I made it through the airport with one, child sleeping from landing until we were out in the cold air. It fit nicely in the stroller but it wasn't to heavy as aback pack either.
I'll admit I am looking forward to using the Radian this go round but I think I would take the MA over the Nautilus if those were my options.

TXAggieTech

When are you going? We are in Miami for 6 more weeks. You could use our GoGoKidz and take the Marathon if he still fits.

Splash

When are you going? We are in Miami for 6 more weeks. You could use our GoGoKidz and take the Marathon if he still fits.

Mid June, 11-15

I think he'll still fit in the MA... he shouldn't grow too much between now and then and he's probably got about an inchish. I know he has maybe half an inch in the BV, and the MA is a smidge higher.

GGK sounds great! I'll gladly rent it from you if he still fits. We're most likely flying into Richmond and out of Baltimore, and the return leg is non stop but the flight up has a 1.5 hour layover in Hartsfield (Atlanta). I could get one with a half hour layover, but I don't think I can make the connection with Charlie, and with layovers that short it's been my experience that your luggage doesn't make the same flight you do. And since I have to pay $15 for the first bag, my luggage better make it!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
honestly? Unless I absolutely could NOT swing it $$$-wise, I'd buy an apex for the trip. I fell in love with how light they are when trying out seats recently, and for travel, it would be sublime, unless you believed you would end up in a vehicle with no support behind the head,which would be pretty rare in a rental,since they tend to be newish vehicles, and most newer vehicles have headrests at least outboard. Otherwise, the Nauti,since in a pinch if there was a serious install issue, I'd let him use it as a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC