School Bus, aisle or window???

LaurieB

I'm thinking it would be safer to sit next to the aisle, further from any point of potential impact but the driver wants the kids by the window...any thoughts? My 6 year old is on a little bus, 3 kids, plenty of empty seats, with lap belts only (the built in bus seats go to 60# and he's 63) for about an 20 minute ride on back roads. The other option is the ez-on which is certainly an option... How would you put your child on this bus?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Laurie

ADS

mamato2

Not a tech but here are my thoughts...I think drivers have that rule to keep the little ones from 'visiting' across the isle and being out of place. I know every bus ride I've ever had with kids was all about 'legs out of the isle, face forward!'. Since this bus has belts I'd think you don't have the issue of keeping a kid in one place (like..scoot all the way to the window and stay there).
If it were my kid I'd rather see them in the middle of the seat (a lot less to hit one's head on), but maybe with a window to see out of the kids behave better?
C.
ps If I had the option of using a 5 point restraint instead of just a lap belt, I'd take it!

LaurieB

ps If I had the option of using a 5 point restraint instead of just a lap belt, I'd take it!

Thats what I'm thinking. Plus it would be one more step for the driver who is kind of a **hmm hmm** not so nice person. Transportation rules our district, they think they run the show, and this bus has been 15-20 minutes late picking up the kids after school. So far, Casey hasn't ridden the bus home because that wait would set of meltdowns (he's a developmentally delayed little guy - fragile x syndrome and deaf to boot) So the last 2 days when she has been on time she purposely pulls up behind me and blocks me in - I parked in the handicapped stall by the front of the school as parking lots are a nightmare for Casey - anyway I guess thats *her* spot so she pulls in right behind me and then sits and talks to another driver. Thankfully drivers change in October so I won't have to put up with her for long. I'm thinking the EZ on would be safer for Casey and more work for her.

Laurie, quietly vindictive...

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have not heard about differences from one seating postion to another. On the other hand, if the bus is crowded, there is increased risk for the child sitting on the aisle if the seat is loaded with 3 kids.

There are a few school bus safety links on our links page:

http://www.car-safety.org/links2.html

beeman

Lap Belts? Here in Saskatchewan a seat belt is a foreign concept on the school busses. If they provide booster seats I'd go for that. By little bus do you mean one of the van busses. Those aren't really that safe. They are tiny and get crouded easily, and it is quite easy to get crowded into the aisle or wall. Three to a seat is also unsafe on a standard bus, and the child in the aisle is at risk. I can remember when I rode a van bus sitting with a large kid and having to hang most the way out into the aisle. Thank goodness we didn't get in an accident. School buses do roll over, it happened at the school I went to. Luckilly no studedents were on the bus. Just make sure that you know your kids are safe.

Simplysomething

Lap Belts? Here in Saskatchewan a seat belt is a foreign concept on the school busses. If they provide booster seats I'd go for that.

I'm confused about how a booster would help her, because boosters are for lap/shoulder belt fit, and her bus has just lap belts.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC