Question Booster/Carseat/ which one is safest?

U

Unregistered

So, I know it's safest to keep your child in a 5 pt harness. Totally agreed. However, I have fairly large children. Currently both are in Britax Wizards - due to size I get that we need new ones - asap. I'm struggling b/c I know 5 pt harnesses are safer but size wise I don't think we'll be out of those soon AND as far as the Frontier goes I CAN NOT get it installed myself (and I'm a single mom - so I have no regular help) and LATCH won't work as we've exceeded the weight limit (or pretty much). I drive a 2008 Sienna and have one other child

Daughter one is H 44", seat to shoulder 25" and weight 45lbs age 5 in June
Daughter 2 is H 43", seat to shoulder 24.5" and weight 44lbs age 5 in June

also have a 3rd (boy) age 3 who is in a Boulevard who I have a little more time before I have to figure out the next step.

THANK YOU in advance.
Kristen

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
What's your budget? My daughter went from the Wizard to the Nautilus with room to grow. Two of those should be great for you. Easy to install, too.

They don't have 24.5" and 25" torsos if they're in the Wizards. The Wizard maxes out at 17", and even *I* have a 22" torso with an overall height of 61". :) Were you measuring up to the top of their heads instead? You can either tell us how much room they have left in the Wizard (since we know the height of that cranked all the way up), or sit them on the floor with their legs crossed and measure from the floor to their shoulders.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Ooops, it is 17" for the first and 16.5" for my second daughter.

You would do the Nautilus before the Monterey? or the other Sunshine Kids one (Radian?)

Thanks again,
Kristen

AtTheSouthDam

I'd go with a nautilus before a Radian.
My DD1 has a 17.5~ torso is just over the top slots of the Radian. I don't think your daughters would have much room left to grow in it :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In addition to not having as much room in the Radian it is a convertible seat, so you can't use half of how it was designed to be used, as a rear facing eat. So I'd go for the Nautilus because it's forward facing only, which is what your girls need, and the top slots are higher.

I'd skip the Monterey as well since it doesn't have a harness.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Sounds like a Nautilus is the way to go - unless anyone else has other suggestions?? I never specified budget if it's an issue. In my mind my preference is the safest option - price isn't the biggest concern.

Also,
A few more questions if you don't mind...

I also need something (separate from those in my car) to fit in my Mother's car. She drives them once or twice a week. Her car is a '99 so there is no LATCH/Tether. I need something fairly easy for her to deal with but of course, safety is the number one concern. Additionally, if possible I'd like it to be something I could travel with. On occasion I take all 3 (with carseats) on an airplane. NOT fun with 3 ages 5,5,and 3. Going to Boston this summer so the girls will be a little bigger. They're fairly mature and I've put fear into them with regards to fooling around in the car so they're pretty good. Any suggestions? Could they be in a booster for this situation? I've seen others mention the Graco Turbobooster....is there something safer? Anything else that travels well?

How would the Nautilus be to take on the plane (and get all 3 secured etc by myself)?

Thanks AGAIN.
Kristen

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Depending on maturity, 5yos can use boosters (but boosters can't go on planes). I wouldn't put a 3yo in a booster. Turboboosters are fine choices. :)

mommycat

You would do the Nautilus before the Monterey? or the other Sunshine Kids one (Radian?)
Definitely this because you get the benefits of a harness for some time longer AND then it turns into a booster.

At 5 and over 40 lbs they are fine to go on the plane without their seats, though you would want a seat to use at your destination if you plan to travel by car there. If you had boosters in grandma's car, you could pack those to travel with. Just make sure that grandma knows to remind them they need to sit properly at all times and enforce the rule. I think both the turbo booster and monterey come apart so you could pack them in your luggage/carryon (not sure if they would be too big to be carry-on).

U

Unregistered

Okay,
I think I'm back to square one. Perhaps this needs to be a new thread - please advise if I need to start....however you've all been so helpful!!!

So, after much stress on getting (in the right color per the requests) a pink and a gray Nautilus, convincing my girls they were cool, (they both seriously want "strap boosters" - their name for boosters using regular seatbelts), convert to "strap boosters" and the promise we would do so the second they were too tall for them to be harnessed, and then the 4 hr hassle of getting them installed correctly (not quite the easy install I was hoping for) I now am realizing that we may be too big for them - or not???

Both girls are definitely on top of the crotch strap hole (the one furthest away from the back of the seat). Yes, their tushies are back against the back of the seat, and yes, they are sitting up straight....

I've researched on here for hours, definitely there's some talk of this however I haven't seen a definite one way or another on whether or not this is the right seat for them.

Ughhh, I'm debating going straight to boosters - I know, I know!! Not the greatest choice. I don't think these will last us all that long. Both girls are in the top slots (the second to top is below both of their shoulders too much for me to be comfortable) however they seem a little swimming in them since they just make it out of the lower ones - especially my smaller daughter.

Please all you educated ones, tell me what to do? (Seriously). I need the decision made. I'm going crazy!!! What would you guys do?

Thanks (AGAIN),
Kristen

skaterbabs

My DD sits on her harness buckle all the time. It doesn't bother her once it's pulled out, and doesn't concern me. She's 5 1/2 years old, 47 lbs and 43" tall.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper has to dig for her buckle too. As long as it's not angled so that it's under her tush while she's buckled it doesn't bother me if she's slightly over it.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd prefer the Frontier for a larger kid, I think it's a lot more roomy and comfortable than the Nautilus. But I also wouldn't feel bad about putting my own 5 yo in a booster full time (yes, you have to remind them to sit properly quite a bit... but then again, you have to remind kids to sit properly until they are about...oh...30.... ;).

emars002

We have the frontier and the nautilus - there is definately more "crotch room" in the frontier - but that said, the buckle slightly under her in the nautilus doesn't bother her so for me, It was nice to not buy 2 $250 seats - Could you try the frontier anywhere before you buy it to see if you like it more than the nautilus? otherwise, i personally would not want to haul my frontier on a plane - it is heavy!!!!! the nautilus is much lighter if you would be traveling often

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC