Question Mighty Tight Seat Belt holder?

U

Unregistered

I am a mother of two, a 6yr old and a 2yr 11month old. I am a carseat safety mom- all of my friends have actually made fun of me because I still have my son in a booster seat (but after reading on this site I am re-thinking a booster and thinking about a 5point!!) Anyway the reason I was on this site was looking for the best step for my soon to be 3yr old. Right now we have her in a convertible car seat and have a "mighty tight" attachment to hold the seatbelt tight. Is this safe? I didn't see anything about it on here and was wondering if I was doing the right thing? I have taken my car to the police dept b/c that is where it said our car seat check was they didn't really look at it and said it was good- I was NOT impressed with the inspection!! But I feel like if the Mighty Tight is not in the car with her seat it is not in right.
Thank you in advance for you response.

Daphne

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, the mighty tite is not safe. It can cut the seatbelt and give a false sense of security. They're quite possibly the worst thing out there, IMO, when it comes to carseats.

If the technician (if they were a technician) oked that installation I'd report them. You're not supposed to use aftermarket products, nevermind possibly fatal aftermarket products. A technician is supposed to show YOU how to use and install your seat properly, not just reach in and give it a shake.

What seat do you have, and what car? We can probably help you learn how to install your seat properly over the internet. If not, maybe one of us lives near you and can meet up with you and show you the proper way to install your seat. As it is now, though, I don't even know that I'd use the carseat to escape oncoming aliens. It's really that bad. I'd probably have the seatbelt inspected before using it at all, possibly replaced if it shows any signs of stress, wear, or fraying.

Wendy

jewlsvern

Yeah, mighty tites are not recommended because they can give a false sense that the car seat is in tight. It is better to jut use the seat belt or LATCH if you have it and get it tight with one or the other.

What seat is your DD in? How much does she weigh? Is she RF or FF?

If you are looking to buy another seat because she has outgrown her current one a great seat is the Graco Nautilis. It harnesses to 65 lbs and then becomes a high back booster and then a no back booster.

Jan06twinmom

Daphne -

The other members answered questions about the mighty tight and I know they'll be able to help you with the install.

I just wanted to say that you're doing a great job keeping your son in a booster even if that isn't what everyone else is doing. Have you seen the 5 step test to see when a child is able to properly sit in a seatbelt? Here's a link... http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm. I thought you might find this useful when someone asks why he is in a booster seat.

As far as your comment about putting your 6 year old in a 5pt harness, I would base that on his size and maturity. I have 4 year old twins and I know my DD will be too small for a booster seat at 6 years old because she's petite. Her twin brother if much larger, but has little impulse control so he'll be harnessed as long as possible because of that. Have you read the information on the Kyle David Miller foundation? It's my favorite resource for extended harnessing.

Melanie

babygirlsmom1005

My sister had to replace her seat belts because the Mighty Tight streached them out and they were no longer safe, she didn't know about it when she installed it and I think she found out the information here about the saftey issues, once she removed them, her seat belts were streached out. She contacted Mighty Tight's company about it and they wouldn't do anything about it, could care less about the saftey concerns about them, what they did to her seat belts (she took her van to a dealer and they recommended replacement because of the stress/streach on the seat belts,) etc....she ended up paying around $300.00 for seat belt replacements for her van.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC