Help! infant seat in the front seat!

vonfirmath

Is it okay to put an infant seat (rear-facing of course) in the middle of a front seat without airbags?

If not, can I get some links please!

ADS

Pixels

If the vehicle does not have airbags, yes. The back seat would be preferable, but if it's not possible, front seat is acceptable.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It might depend on state law whether or not it's legal. (For example, in California, kids under 6 must be in the back, with a few exceptions.)

In terms of safety...the backseat is better, but as long as there are no airbags, front is ok.

mykidsmylife

I agree with the other. It isn't the safest, but it is okay with no airbag.
There are times it is safer thent he rear seat. In cases where you cannot get a proper install in the rear or you MUST have tether and headrest.

So it depends in the situation. It is not illegal however as long as there is no active airbag.

Misty-Bug

ok not meaning to hyjack your thread but I have a question too.

If you can't have a child in a backseat, lets say pickup, there is no air bags where would it be best to put baby? Center our outboard.

Because I would say to put baby outboard away from the steering wheel. Depending on what kind of room you have. But I am hoping a tech will see this.

skaterbabs

It's NOT okay IF you are talking about a middle position between the drive and passenger airbags, or even just a driver's side airbag. When these deploy they will encroach on the the space needed by the infant seat and cause serious injury or death.

Misty-Bug

It's NOT okay IF you are talking about a middle position between the drive and passenger airbags, or even just a driver's side airbag. When these deploy they will encroach on the the space needed by the infant seat and cause serious injury or death.

if you are meaning my reply I was saying without airbags. I was going on what the OP said as well. She said no airbags. I am meaning a vehicle with no airbags. Would it be better to have the child further away from the steering wheel?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician

Good point. I was assuming NO airbags since that's what the OP said, but it's important to point that out.

If you can't have a child in a backseat, lets say pickup, there is no air bags where would it be best to put baby? Center our outboard.

That would depend on the situation. Like Skaterbabs said, if there is a driver's airbag, I wouldn't want it in the middle.

If there are no airbags, center would be best, presuming the driver has enough room to control the steering wheel.

Keep in mind, too, that the center is usually just a lap belt, so that's even more reason to have the kid in the center if another person (grownup) will be riding, too.

skaterbabs

if you are meaning my reply I was saying without airbags. I was going on what the OP said as well. She said no airbags. I am meaning a vehicle with no airbags. Would it be better to have the child further away from the steering wheel?

The middle position won't have it's own airbag, but (if the vehicle has them) the airbag from the driver and/or passenger side will impact a seat placed in the center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC