Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Help! infant seat in the front seat!

Is it okay to put an infant seat (rear-facing of course) in the middle of a front seat without airbags?

If not, can I get some links please!

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Help! infant seat in the front seat!

If the vehicle does not have airbags, yes. The back seat would be preferable, but if it's not possible, front seat is acceptable.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

It might depend on state law whether or not it's legal. (For example, in California, kids under 6 must be in the back, with a few exceptions.)

In terms of safety...the backseat is better, but as long as there are no airbags, front is ok.

CPS Technician

I agree with the other. It isn't the safest, but it is okay with no airbag.
    There are times it is safer thent he rear seat. In cases where you cannot get a proper install in the rear or you MUST have tether and headrest.

So it depends in the situation. It is not illegal however as long as there is no active airbag.

Johnathon 10yrs, 76 lbs, 5-steps
    Seth, 6yrs, 43lbs in Clek Oobr
    River, 4yrs, 38lbs in FR85 and Clek Foonf

ok not meaning to hyjack your thread but I have a question too.

If you can't have a child in a backseat, lets say pickup, there is no air bags where would it be best to put baby? Center our outboard.

Because I would say to put baby outboard away from the steering wheel. Depending on what kind of room you have. But I am hoping a tech will see this.
    Misty
    SAHM to Cooper, 04/16/06 and Aurora, 06/25/11

It's NOT okay IF you are talking about a middle position between the drive and passenger airbags, or even just a driver's side airbag. When these deploy they will encroach on the the space needed by the infant seat and cause serious injury or death.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    It's NOT okay IF you are talking about a middle position between the drive and passenger airbags, or even just a driver's side airbag. When these deploy they will encroach on the the space needed by the infant seat and cause serious injury or death.
    if you are meaning my reply I was saying without airbags. I was going on what the OP said as well. She said no airbags. I am meaning a vehicle with no airbags. Would it be better to have the child further away from the steering wheel?
    Misty
    SAHM to Cooper, 04/16/06 and Aurora, 06/25/11

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    Good point. I was assuming NO airbags since that's what the OP said, but it's important to point that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty-Bug View Post
    If you can't have a child in a backseat, lets say pickup, there is no air bags where would it be best to put baby? Center our outboard.
    That would depend on the situation. Like Skaterbabs said, if there is a driver's airbag, I wouldn't want it in the middle.

If there are no airbags, center would be best, presuming the driver has enough room to control the steering wheel.

Keep in mind, too, that the center is usually just a lap belt, so that's even more reason to have the kid in the center if another person (grownup) will be riding, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty-Bug View Post
    if you are meaning my reply I was saying without airbags. I was going on what the OP said as well. She said no airbags. I am meaning a vehicle with no airbags. Would it be better to have the child further away from the steering wheel?
    The middle position won't have it's own airbag, but (if the vehicle has them) the airbag from the driver and/or passenger side will impact a seat placed in the center.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley