Safeguard Go & LATCH

Heather98012

Ok, so the Go stated you can use LATCH to the full 60 lbs in harness mode, or defer to the vehicle manufacturer, correct? And, Hyundai states in the LATCH manual that there is no limit. So....am I correct in assuming you could use the Go with harness up to 60 lbs with LATCH? Lemme know if I'm missing something here. TIA!

ADS

Pixels

The 2007 LATCH manual says Hyundai did not provide information about weights, not that there is no limit. :shrug-shoulders: I don't know if the 2009 version says something different.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I think you can use the GO with LATCH all the way to 60 lbs. even if the manufacturer puts a lower limit on the vehicles's LATCH anchors.

Pixels

I think you can use the GO with LATCH all the way to 60 lbs. even if the manufacturer puts a lower limit on the vehicles's LATCH anchors.
No, not harnessed you can't. If the vehicle has a lower limit, that lower limit applies.

It can be LATCHed in booster mode up to 100 pounds.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
No, not harnessed you can't. If the vehicle has a lower limit, that lower limit applies.

It can be LATCHed in booster mode up to 100 pounds.

I didn't think that was what I understood... There was a thread recently that touched on it but I am having connection trouble and trouble searching. I'll look again later.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
2009 LATCH manual Pg. 133 & 134

"SafeGuard urges parents to consider both our recommendations and those from the vehicle manufacturer when making their installation decision regarding child's weight. Testing shows the Go with a 60-lb occupant is in compliance with the most amount of force exerted on the LATCH anchor points as required by NHTSA FMVSS 225. The heavier weight of the occupant is offset by the light weight of the GO".

Heather98012

2009 LATCH manual Pg. 133 & 134

"SafeGuard urges parents to consider both our recommendations and those from the vehicle manufacturer when making their installation decision regarding child's weight. Testing shows the Go with a 60-lb occupant is in compliance with the most amount of force exerted on the LATCH anchor points as required by NHTSA FMVSS 225. The heavier weight of the occupant is offset by the light weight of the GO".

Right, I read that on SafeGuard's site. So...assuming Hyundai doesn't specify a limit, it's ok to use harnassed with LATCH?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Yes.

All top tethers MUST meet a certain amount of force resistance set forth by FMVSS 225. So even if a manufacturer doesn't state their limits, they still MUST pass the federal requirement. SafeGuard says that the light weight of the GO offsets the higher weight of the child and is still under/at the limit for FMVSS 225.

Pixels

momika -> 2:32 PM [bensmom] If there is no limit, do we need to go with 40 pounds? What about the SafeGuard Go that says you can use LATCH up to 65 pounds, even if the vehicle says 40?

"The SafeGuard Go does not say to go against the vehicle mfg's instructions. What it says is the LATCH system may be used the entire time, unless the vehicle manual states a set limit. So in harness mode, the Go can be installed with the tether and lower LATCH anchors from 30 - 60 lbs. In backless booster mode, it can be installed using the lower LATCH anchors from 40 - 100 lbs." As always, any limit given in the vehicle owner's manual will still apply. But the Go is lightweight and was designed to be used with LATCH up to 60 pounds in general

Edited out irrelevant portions, and bolding mine. That is the from a chat with SafeGuard.

Pixels

That chat was 2 years ago.

The 2009 LATCH manual, and the SafeGuard website have more updated information.

Can you provide a link? I'm not finding anything on the SafeGuard website, nor in the manuals (either version). In fact, both versions of the manual, in the section on LATCH installation, state
Read and follow all instructions in the child restraint instruction manual and the vehicle owner’s manual. In the case of a discrepancy, follow the instructions in the vehicle owner’s manual.
(page 23 of pre-2008 manual, page 24 of post-2008 manual). Also:
SEE THE VEHICLE OWNER’S MANUAL FOR EXACT LOCATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS FOR USING LATCH WITH THIS CHILD RESTRAINT.
(page 15/16).

I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just that what I'm finding is contradictory to what you've stated.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Can you provide a link? I'm not finding anything on the SafeGuard website, nor in the manuals (either version). In fact, both versions of the manual, in the section on LATCH installation, state (page 23 of pre-2008 manual, page 24 of post-2008 manual). Also: (page 15/16).

I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just that what I'm finding is contradictory to what you've stated.

Heather read it on the website. I have the flu right now and don't really feel like digging through their website.

Right, I read that on SafeGuard's site. So...assuming Hyundai doesn't specify a limit, it's ok to use harnassed with LATCH?

Plus, your 2007 LATCH manual is now outdated. I typed a direct quote with page numbers from the 2009 LATCH manual.

I disagree that you aren't trying to be argumentative. That seems to be exactly what you are being. I post current information and you argue it with outdated information.

Pixels

Even the quote you provided from the 2009 LATCH manual states to consider the vehicle manufacturer's recomendations regarding the weight limit. And the quotes that I provided are from the CURRENT Go manual.

I am not being argumentative. I am trying to solve a discrepancy.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
In my CPST training, I learned what FMVSS 225 is, and how it applies to situations like this.

SafeGuard says that because the GO is so light weight, that a child can weigh up to 60 pounds and STILL PASS the requirements in FMVSS 225 - EVERY auto maker has to MEET or EXCEED those requirements, part of which includes a certain amount of force that a tether MUST hold.

If they MEET the requirements in FMVSS 225, then a 60 pound child will be able to use the GO with the tether, if they EXCEED them then a 60 pound child will be able to use the GO with the tether.

Pixels

In my training, I was taught to follow the instructions of BOTH the restraint manufacturer and the vehicle manufacturer. Whoever has the lower weight limit controls.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Did you get certified? Good for you. :)

In this case, the vehicle manufacturer does not specify a LATCH installation weight limit at all, perhaps due to an overall lack of communication or because there is no limit as far as Hyundai/Kia are concerned. I really wouldn't sweat it with the Go's uniquely stated LATCH information and would use it up to 60 lbs. harnessed with a LATCH installation in the OP's vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC