"seat belt adjuster"

lizajane30

I had to drop off a friend's DS today and he had no booster with him but had a seat belt adjuster, a little pad that the male end of the buckle goes through to (supposedly) make a seatbelt fit a child who should really be in a booster. It looked sort of like this. He rode in the third-row passenger side of my Odyssey and even with the "adjuster," man! that was the worst-fitted seatbelt I've seen in my life. As far as I could tell, all it did was put a bunch of slack in the belt. The shoulder belt wasn't even touching him (though this was probably not the fault of the adjuster doohickey.) This was the only spot available to him, as I also had carseats in all the other seats, and no time to move things around so as to put him somewhere else. I'm not sure that a different spot would've solved the problem, anyway.

DH is saying that maybe we should get a backless booster to have in the car. I don't know much about boosters since my kids are younger. Would a BB be useful to have in a situation like this? We really don't want to spend a lot on an extra booster (and we already have an extra carseat in the car, we don't need more clutter!) but I will not be comfortable driving her son again without something better than what he had today.

The child in question is nearly 6yo, average height and weight. He is the child we are most likely to drive again, so it's him I'd like to keep in mind when getting a booster. He usually rides in (I think) a Turbobooster.

Thanks for any advice!

ADS

Pixels

Those are particularly bad. They pull the lap portion of the belt up off the lap (if it fit there) and place it squarely on the soft belly.

A backless would be better than nothing. Make sure it has a shoulder strap adjuster. Or, make sure that he comes with a real booster.

lizajane30

Yeah, ideally I would know in advance that I was going to take him and insist that he be sent with his booster; today was very last-minute. This mom is a very good friend of ours, and wants to keep her kids safe but doesn't know how; so I'm trying to teach her gently when situations arise where I can give her better info. I've already gotten her to put her 3yo back into a harness (he was in a TB too, from 2yo) and turn her 1yo back to RF (she was FF from about 8mo, and sometimes even taken out of her seat if she was crying a lot). I know if I can find the right way to tell her that the seatbelt adjuster is no good, she will hear me and change things.

Can you recommend some brands of backless boosters that would be okay?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think it came with a clip, but I bought a couple of Cosco High Rises to have as spares. They're rated from 30 pounds, are pretty narrow at the back, offer a lot of leg support, and cost about $15. That was their high point for me.

Wendy

Pixels

I can't. I'm not good with recommending boosters. I'm sure someone will be along shortly (possibly tomorrow) who will, though.

Maedze

I'd get a Turbo backless. Don't forget to put the screws in the armrests and to use the belt adjuster that comes with it.

As pp said, those things your friend's child has are extremely unsafe. They force the lapbelt portion of the seat up so that it rides on the child's abdoment, which could have deadly consequence in an accident.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I can recall a presentation at Lifesavers a couple years ago where a car was totalled and the 7yo in the belt adjuster like that was pretty much gutted by the seatbelt...it even got burn marks and he was either killed or just suffered *extremely bad* internal injuries. His 4 year old sister in the backless booster walked away unharmed. Here's a page on how dangerous they are... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/AMBeltDevices.aspx The reason they are only approved for 50 pounds and up is to skirt NHTSA's carseat rules and not have to be tested.

firemomof3

These products disgust me! I have sent several letters to One Step Ahead who sells them. I have sent many articles & obvious evidence that they are dangerous...but without success. I'm annoying though, I won't give up!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC