SafeSeat Step 2

R

renee+3

Hi. Has anyone seen any of the crash test data on the SafeSeat Step 2? If so, how does it compare to the Evenflo Triumph? I was in a car accident and need to replace all of my carseats. I originally bought Evenflo Triumphs since they were so well rated in crash tests by Consumer Reports. My rfing baby will get another Triumph. However, I have also need need a ffing seat. (And yes, it does need to be ffing because this car will not fit another rfing seat behind the driver's seat, so please do not give any lectures. They are rfing in the other car in Triumphs. I've thought out all the possibilities, and in this car, they need ffing seats.)

Anyway... I'm trying to decide between another Triumph ffing, or the Graco Safeseat. The weight limit isn't a problem, as I have small kids. According to her growth chart, she should hit the 40 lb mark sometime between her 7th and 8th birthday.

My delima is that I haven't seen any independent crash testing of the SafeSeat. It seems so new... I worry that they haven't worked out all the bugs. How much do I trust Graco when they say it has been well tested? The seatbelt locks look neat, but I heard the Britax had a problem with those... do I trust them? But, those side wings around the head look GREAT for side impacts. On the other hand, I've had 2 different Triumphs in 2 different car accidents. My baby was right at the point of impact on the driver's side in the last accident when I was T-boned, and he had no injuries. I see it as the tried-and-true. But, I then see the SafeSeat and think that it might be even safer... especially since I was just in a side-impact accident, and am now completely freaked out.

So... any help deciding between those two?

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If you search Consumer Reports here using the Search option in the box on the bottom right of the screen you'll find that it's not a reliable resource for carseat safety....

All carseats currently on the market pass the same Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards -- the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rates ease of use for public referrence, but this really depends on the individual: some find Coscos or Gracos easiest to use, many find Britax the easiest & then others find Evenflo easiest.

The safest seat fits the CHILD, fits the VEHICLE & will be used correctly for the entire length of every ride :cool:

What vehicle year, make, model? What are the ages, weights & heights? Your budget?

We don't lecture, we share knowledge -- in some areas it is illegal to FF before the minimum 12 months + 20 pounds so I hesitiate to suggest any seat without knowing the details :eek:

P.S. sorry to hear about having to replace seats & I hope everyone is OK after the crashes?

R

renee+3

I realize that the best carseat is the one that fits your child the best, and you can use, etc. Which is part of how I narrowed my choices down to the SafeSeat and the Triumph. I know that both of them fit my child. I know that both of them fit my car well. So, on all of those factors, the seats are even. Both cost approximately the same amount of money - $119 vs $129. So, the "normal" questions about fit, budget, etc don't help me. Which leaves me to try to figure out how to break the "tie." ... And brings me back to my original question, of if there is any independent safety testing or analysis that might help me decide between the two.

I've never based my decisions solely on Consumer Reports. If I did that, I wouldn't have bought the Triumph in the first place, as it was not rated #1 when I looked. I used it as a tool in a complete decision making process, and am hoping that I can find another tool to help guide me in this one.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
As far as independant testers for carseats---there really are none other than CR.

The SafeSeat2 does have higher top slots will allow you to get closer to the 40 pound limit before it is outgrown. Getting you the most bang for your buck.

Some kids out grow the trimuph before they are even 2---most by 3.

Graco's lock-offs are different than Britax's. Do you have a TRU or BRU near by that you can test the seat out in your car? They let you take out floor models.

Susan

R

renee+3

Susan - Thanks for the information on independant testers!

My kiddo is actually really small - 0th percentile for weight, 3rd for height. I looked at her growth chart, and the slots on both seats should be more than enough. LOL! That is one good thing about shrimps. She could fit in an infant seat until she was 2. She comes by it naturally, I'm short myself. With doing this research for her seat, I'm actually considering trying to buy myself a booster, so that my seatbelt fits me better.

I do have a BRU. I tested both of them, and they both work well, which is why I'm having such a hard time deciding. I think I'm just going to have to flip a coin. :D Or, I could let her pick. She liked the blue better than the black.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I have used the Evenflo Triumph for all 3 of my kids in the past. Currently, 2 of them are in the Triumphs and my oldest is in a Britax Boulevard. My ds will be 5 in December and just outgrew his Triumph by height a month ago (at 37 lbs, 41" tall). As for rf, though, my just-turned 2 yr old is 26 lbs and his head is just about an inch below the top of the seat, so he is outgrowing the rf height limit before the rf weight limit, which is disappointing. Since you will be using it ff, I wouldn't worry about that, unless your kids are tall for their age, in which case, they would probably grow out it by height before they hit 40 lbs. You didn't say how old they are now, but I have used these seats with a lot of different kids (I have a daycare) and haven't personally seen a kid grow out of it (by height) until the age of 4. If you have used Triumphs and are used to them and like them, etc... you should probably get the same, especially since you really feel your kids are safe in them.
By the way, I bought mine for the same reason you did - the CR crash test ratings. I know CR isn't very highly thought of for their testing, but they are the only thing we have to go by!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC