Graco Comfort Sport, Cosco Scenera or Evenflo Tribute

ADS

Not familiar with the Tribute. I guess the Scenera then. Cheap, light, relatively high harness strap heights. If it had more padding, it'd be great.

The ComfortSport sucks. We have one, but it's cuz my mom bought it for her car. Used very little. She didn't want to drive around looking for a Scenera (it was sold out when she went looking for a seat). The padding is the best on the market (which is why my mom wanted it), but that's about all the good you can say. It's outgrown just way to fast. It only has like 3 harness slots, and the top one can't be used RF.

The Scenera is often recommended here for those looking for an affordable seat. Or a travel seat.

mum2two

Can you give us the age, height, weight of the child, the car it will used in and your budget? Also is this seat going to be used rearfacing (recommended for children until at least age 2, or the limits of the car seat).

There may be a number of better options.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Definitely the Scenera. I hate the Tribute, and the CS has even lower top slots and a shorter shell than the other two. The Tribute also has a 30 pound rear facing limit. So does the Comfortsport, come to think of it. The Scenera is the cheapest and will last the longest rear facing, and about as long as the Tribute forward, and it has more slots (the Tributes two bottom slots are about four inches apart). I hate the Tribute. I dislike the Comfortsport. The Scenera is fine.

Wendy

Andie

I hated my Tribute. It doesn't adjust well while in the rear facing position. I had to pull so hard, it would make the seat too reclined and then I'd have to reinstall. Not fun.

I say no on the ComfortSport for the same reasons as the poster above. It only has a 30 lb max rear facing limit, and there are many other convertibles that go to 35 now.

I really love our Scenera. It installs well, I have to use a pool noodle, but it's very simple. It adjusts very well in my opinion as well. It doesn't have the padding that the other seats do though.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The tribute andthe CS are going to be dissed hard because they are like yhe only 2 remaining seats with only a 30 lb RFing limit, not to mention the shells and slots are so low, you wouldn't get to 30 rfing or 40 ffing anyway....the Scenera is usually recommended because it is cheap, actualy has a higher shell than the other 2, it has the 35 lb Rfing limit and higher slots than eother of those other 2..which means that while it won't get most kids to the actual 40 lb FFing limit, it will get them closer...

however, it depends on you usage of the seat. For length of use, the scenera is best, hands down...however....if you are, say, looking for a seat to be bought and used on a trip at a destination city AND your child is within the limits of the CS or Tribute,and you are going to throw away the seat at the end of the trip anyway, for something like that, then I'd probably get a CS, since it has nice cushy padding and EPS foam, which the scenera does not have. But i am horribly prejudiced against the seat personally,since my dd outgrew it Rfing at 8 months old, and FFing by 20 months old......outrageous for a convertible seat that is SUPPOSED to get most kids to booster age.

Evolily

Scenera if those are the only options. If you want to throw in another seat in the under $100 category, try a Safety 1st Avenue and Safety 1st Uptown.

christineka

I like the tribute, especially the new ones with 4 harness slots. It's a great seat for a kid in the 10th percentile or lower. It is easier to get a good rear-facing recline and I find it adjusts easier than the scenera. I like the chest clip better too. It also has eps foam.

Now, if your kid is above the 10th percentile, then I'd definitely go for the scenera instead. My dd is a teeny weeny thing and rear-faced to age 4 in the tribute. Normal kids will outgrow the seat at age 3 or so- forward facing.

If you can afford a bit more, the safety first avenue is a nice seat and currently on sale at sears for $70.

blofald

My daughter will be 2 at the end of April. She weighs around 27 lbs...not sure of her height. She has always been around the 10th-50th for both height and weight...it varies between the two extremes. She is pretty petite though. We are looking for a seat to bring on our trip to CA. My parents are buying this one since they need a new one for their car. I don't really want to haul or Britax seat. So based on that info, do you still all recommend the Scenera? The only reason why I am not in love with that one is their isn't a lot of padding for it and if she is going to be sitting on the plane as well as the car for part of it, I want her to be comfortable.

Maedze

Evenflo still lists the Tribute as a 30 lb rearfacing seat. I think that's an error on Target's part.

Of the three, I would get the Scenera to get maximum rearfacing time out of the seat.

In reality, I would purchase an Avenue and use that. Rearfaces to 35, but is padded and comfortable and has EPS foam :)

blofald

Should I have my parents get a seat that can be turned into a booster eventually. We are only using it for the trip and she only rides with them a few times a year. Otherwise she rides in her Britax seats with us. What do you all think?

Maedze

No. Your daughter needs to be rearfacing right now, and 'all-in-one' seats (seats that rearface, forward face and then convert to a booster) make TERRIBLE boosters.

What you want is a decent convertible that will last you a long while, and then you can buy a dedicated booster. I would look at an Avenue or an Evenflo Triumph Advance. None of the seats you've listed will get you safely to booster age.

Evolily

Should I have my parents get a seat that can be turned into a booster eventually. We are only using it for the trip and she only rides with them a few times a year. Otherwise she rides in her Britax seats with us. What do you all think?

There isn't an acceptable booster combo that rear faces. She needs to rear face to be safest, especially at her age and size- she is 500% safer rear facing.

The avenue's size is comparable to a 65 lb britax seat- it should last her for a while, and will be good for 8 years so can be passed down to other kids.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If it were my kid? I'd have the Grandparents buy the Graco Platinum Cargo. Yes, it's forward facing only. I'd put my own kid FF at that age in less-used cars. It has EPS foam and good deep sidewings for better side impact protection (the biggest danger to forward facing kids is side crashes, so this is a good thing), it has tall top slots and if she's petite it should last to at least age 5 with the harness, and it becomes a decent booster later. If you are planning on needing a convertible later for a baby sibling, then the Scenera's the best bet for now.
:twocents::)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So she's riding in it on the plane, riding in it at grandma's, and then riding in nothing on the plane back because the seat is staying with grandma? If it was my child that wouldn't be acceptable at her age and size. She's too tiny for the plane's lapbelt to fit her safely and properly. At that size I wasn't even able to get it tightened around Piper's hips enough to get it so she couldn't simply climb out of it. She needed until 35 pounds or a hair more to fit.

I agree, though, I'd look into the Avenue. And I'd look into bringing it home with you.

Wendy

Splash

I'd probably also go with the Cargo, especially if the child is already FF. It's going to be used so rarely, and the cargo is so easy to use and travel with, and should last a good long time.

Kat_Momof3

I also would go with the Cargo... it's good for what it does and is narrow and light for traveling.

I would use it on the plane and bring it back with me for use on the plane (keep it stored in a closet in between trips)

capeKO71

If it were my kid? I'd have the Grandparents buy the Graco Platinum Cargo. Yes, it's forward facing only. I'd put my own kid FF at that age in less-used cars. It has EPS foam and good deep sidewings for better side impact protection (the biggest danger to forward facing kids is side crashes, so this is a good thing), it has tall top slots and if she's petite it should last to at least age 5 with the harness, and it becomes a decent booster later. If you are planning on needing a convertible later for a baby sibling, then the Scenera's the best bet for now.
:twocents::)

:yeahthat:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC