Britax Frontier Cover Update

Hi all. Just got off of the phone with Britax this morning. The official word from the CS rep there was that they are working on a solution for the cover problem with the mesh on the Frontier. I called b/c mine is in such bad shape. She said that they would contact me "if" they came up with a solution for the mesh pilling up and looking terrible on the cover. I asked her about replacing my current cover with the new Sahara (which she didn't mention that she had) and she put me on hold. When she came back she said that she couldn't guarantee that the Sahara wouldn't have the same issues. I replied that it couldn't be as bad as what I have since the cover on the Frontier started wearing badly within 2 months of purchase (May last year). Since my warranty is almost out, I had her send the Sahara as a replacement. She charged my credit card but sent me a UPS label to return the other and said that Britax would refund my money when I returned the old cover. I think that she hadn't had her coffee for the morning yet, b/c she was in a really bad mood right from the beginning which is so so unusual for a Britax rep, in my experience. Anyway, she then told me that this is the only time that they will replace it for free. I didn't reply, but I will find a way to get this one replaced too if it has the same issues! I don't like the color, but better than the mess that mine is now.

So I forgot to ask her if they have planned any improvements in the future - but called back around noon to talk about that. Apparently the coffee didn't do her any good - well maybe a little. I need a new booster for my daughter b/c my Marathon expires in October of this year (lasted three kids, what a machine!!!!, I will cry when I retire it). She said that they are planning to fix the cover issue but that there will be no more changes to the seat planned. What a bummer. I am so disappointed. The one that I have has already had the recall fix, is a pain to install in one of the most popular minivans sold in the USA (Dodge Grand Caravan) and won't install in the third row bench seat LBP (seat belt too short, SBP can't get it in tight enough), the cover is a pain and not washable, and the cup holders unusable in the position that I have to put it in the van (captains chair) b/c they block my aisle!

So I guess I will be purchasing the Nautilus, which is easy to install in all my positions, has a washable cover, etc. But not the crash testing. If I can't install one easily (less than 20 mins) and well that is crash-tested, there is no point! So sad, I love Britax and am such a big fan.

Just wanted you to know the scoop if it makes your decision about buying one or not easier...and if you have the Frontier whose warranty is almost out and are willing to take different color cover for a better quality one, call and insist that they replace it. Don't let them give you a line about fixing it in the future "maybe"!

Jennie

Mom to Andrew, 6.5 yrs, Britax Frontier (soon to be Sahara)
Austin 3.75 yrs, Sunshine Kids Radian
Ansley 1.75 yrs, Marathon expires 10/09 boo-hoo Gray Cheetah print (not the official name!)

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
You won't have the same problem with the Sahara cover - there's no mesh on it. It's the same as the Regent Sahara cover, which we've had for 2+ years with no problems whatsoever.

She said that they are planning to fix the cover issue but that there will be no more changes to the seat planned.

That doesn't mean a thing. Customer service likely wouldn't know anything about specific changes until the changes are imminent. :twocents:

Kaylasmom

That doesn't mean a thing. Customer service likely wouldn't know anything about specific changes until the changes are imminent. :twocents:

This. 100%. They are either not informed or not allowed to discuss anything in progress due to the likelihood of changes/delays. They are only allowed to discuss things once absolutely confirmed which is right before launch.

ZephyrBlue

Glad you're getting a new cover- ITA, the mesh sucks :thumbsdown:

Just wanted to pop in and say that I finally got my Frontier installed in the 3rd row bench of my Grand Caravan SBP- there's a thread in the installation forum about it- and it's rock solid. HTH!

all together ooky

Ugh, I still haven't called about my cover. I've been holding out for a better one. I guess I'll have to call soon since I don't want to be passed the one year mark. I like the seat otherwise (heh, there could always be improvements) but the cover is so dissapointing.

horseymom

Which cover are you replacing? I just got dd in Nov and we have the grey one, I haven't noticed and pilling as of yet but I have noticed that where dd spilled 2 DROPS of WATER it is now stained...????

Heather98012

Ugh, I still haven't called about my cover. I've been holding out for a better one. I guess I'll have to call soon since I don't want to be passed the one year mark. I like the seat otherwise (heh, there could always be improvements) but the cover is so dissapointing.

:yeahthat: I actually really like the seat (quirks & all), but the cover is a let down. I'll have to call before May when my one year is up. I don't hate the looks of the Sahara, although I've never seen it IRL. But, I really just want one that looks like the ones I have that doesn't SUCK after 2 months.

all together ooky

My problem is that Gwen loves that it's pink. I can't replace it with a Sahara. She'd be so sad. Why is a girly cover with no mesh not available?! Ugh.

Hi again everyone! Thanks for all the discussion. I am hoping that they are really changing things besides the cover and the cust service rep really didn't know. But it would be better if she just said that she wasn't sure what other updates they might make then at least I would have hope! I will definitely read the thread about the SBP in the third row bench in my caravan. That will make a difference in my happiness with the product.

I just can't figure out what made them not put the same great features on the frontier that are on the Marathon. It's insane bc you would think that they wouldn't mess with the stuff that people love about their seats like the plush covers that wash!

Excited to have a working cover even if it's ugly!

So thankful for this website!!! What would I do without y'all?

Jennie

Mommy0608

I don't have a Frontier so I don't know much about the mesh issue other than what I've read here, but I wanted to comment on one thing. You mentioned something about the crash testing. ALL seats in the US are tested and must meet the same federal safety standards. If it makes it to market, it passed. We don't know if Seat A passes by a greater margin than Seat B (that info isn't made public), all we know is that both passed. If you're referring to Britax's claim of side impact testing, we don't know much about it. There are no federal standards for side impact testing, so this kind of testing is done individually by the manufacturer, and there is no way to compare this among different seats since it is not universally tested. Safety wise, there is no reason to hesitate using a Nautilus, especially if it works better for you. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC