Rear facing seats in cars (not carseats)

JerseyGirl'sMama

Yesterday I saw a Volvo with a young child in the very back, rear-facing seat (not carseat) with just a shoulder belt across her neck. She could have been in a no back booster, but I would guess not, since the shoulder belt was so high.

Anyway, it got me thinking - in general can you use carseats in those type of rear-facing seats? If so, are you limited to certain types? I guess I just never thought of how one would use a carseat in those seats - I rarely ever see them.

ADS

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of those jumper seats. I highly doubt any company (even Volvo) crash tested those positions.

Pixels

Officially, no, carseats (even boosters) must be used only in front-facing seats. Unfortunately, that makes those rear-facing seats in the back of wagons pretty much useless. By the time a child is big enough to 5-step test out of a booster, they're too big for those tiny seats. Some of them have a weight limit, too.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with a backless booster, provided the vehicle provided plenty of head support. With a backless, there's nothing between the child and the front of the vehicle (other than the vehicle itself, of course).

Interesting since RF is so much safer, even for adults.

The position is safer, but often, those seats are not sturdily attached, the design can be funky (seatbelts at weird angles, body positioned in weird angles, etc), and sometimes smack in the crumple zone.

Better than the side facing jump seats I suppose.

zeo2ski

The issue is with the rear facing seat being in the crumple zone and the way it's secured.

capeKO71

Those seats are generally useless. I know in my audi A6, they said "Must be under 70lbs to use"... so they were meant for kids... but not legal for any child to sit in. They did have shorter positioned seatbelts... and I'm sure it would have fit a child great - but pretty much useless since most kids under that weight still need to be in a backless booster in the very least. I would never use a booster with those seats because there is no head support if they were higher up.

EDIT: I should say... in the older cars, they aren't "useless" because I used to use them as my tether anchor! The audi dealer installed a center one but due to the seatbelts on either side, they did not install them outboard. I made a parental decision, locked the belts out, and used them as my tether.

U

Unregistered1

What about vans that can have the benches either rear facing or forward facing? Are those safe to use with children and adults who are NOT in CRs? Since it's rear facing, is it safER? I have always wondered this.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
EDIT: I should say... in the older cars, they aren't "useless" because I used to use them as my tether anchor! The audi dealer installed a center one but due to the seatbelts on either side, they did not install them outboard. I made a parental decision, locked the belts out, and used them as my tether.

I was also thinking they could be used to secure a dog in a bucklable harness.

jubgulia

I spent almost my entire childhood riding in the back rear-facing seat of my mom's 1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon (with a carseat and later without). That thing was a beast and the back seats were the same size as the middle row seats. No head rests in the middle or back (but the seat backs were pretty high) and lap belts only in all positions of course. :rolleyes:

Looked just like this one:

9656183283.255565079.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC