Questions about True Fit, True Fit premiere, and TRU AOE

glockchick

The only difference between the TF and TF Premiere is the ARB right? Because if that's the case and I only plan on using the seat FF, I can get the regular one instead of waiting for the premiere. Does anyone know if Target will carry the premiere?

Also, why does everyone hate the AOE seats? I'm planning to go get a TF and an AOE today and try them in my vehicle. They're the only ones I've seen IRL I like and right now I'm leary about ordering stuff online. :rolleyes:

The AOE has the 50 lb limit and seemed really nice when I played with it in the store. I really need to get them here to play with them though because I need to try them front and rear facing in 3 different positions with kids in them. :eek: I really don't need what's his nut from TRU staring over my shoulder the whole time. :rolleyes:

ADS

Pixels

I can't answer your question about TF/TF Premiere, but ...

The AOEs are hated for several reasons. The old ones had a 40 pound weight limit on the harness, the harness wasn't tall enough to get kids anywhere near 40 pounds anyway, and the top position couldn't be used with the harness (resulting in a lot of misuse). It makes a crappy booster, and the marketing makes it look like it can be used up to 100 pounds with the harness (resulting in more misuse).

The new AOEs with the 50 pound weight limit aren't bad. Higher top harness slots, all positions are useable, higher weight limit. Still makes a crappy booster and still has crappy marketing.

Read the manual on the AOE. Most of them, you can take the base off, and it installs easier.

Explain that you will being testing the seat in 6 different configurations, possibly more, and that it will take quite a while. Ask if you can give your license as collateral instead of tying up one of their employees while you test it.

glockchick

That would work if I didn't have to take the 3 little kids with me. ;) I can't watch them and install/uninstall/reinstall with them.

firemomof3

Ya know I asked myself the same question; why does everyone dislike this seat? So, I went out and bought one to play with....so now I understand why everyone dislikes it :p
First, the harness tightens very roughly and its not smooth at all. Trying to adjust the head rest up is very difficult, especially getting it to that top spot :mad: The seat itself is lightweight and a little flimsy but its kinda hard to compare since I had a signo before. Installing it was OK, I took the base off for rf and that made it easier but it was still awkward.
On the good side; the price! The crotch strap is a good length, seat's cover is soft and comfortable, and of course the tall harness slots!
AOE010.jpg

Pixels

Yeah, but you can't expect an employee to watch your kids, either. Will they play nicely in the confines of the car while you work? That's what I do with DD. She likes to "help" even though she's only 10 months.

glockchick

Yeah, but you can't expect an employee to watch your kids, either. Will they play nicely in the confines of the car while you work? That's what I do with DD. She likes to "help" even though she's only 10 months.

How cute!

Of course I can't expect the employees to watch them. I was just planning to buy the seat and then return it if it didn't work. :)

glockchick

No problem. :)

Thanks firemom. Maybe I'll just skip it then. As an aside, how do you like the Avenue in the background of that pic? I have light weights so I'm really not worried about the weight limit. ;)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i am in the minority that I :love: The AOE seats.......Pixels summed it up well, although I would have painted the new AOE in a prettier light, lol.

The old ones were hated because they are marketed poorly ( only seat you'll eere need!! [not]) the top slots are low, 15 ish depending on model, and there is a very top slots you CAN NOT USE, it is only to rasie the headrest higher for booster mode,but no average parent ever read that part of course,so you had kids riding around with their seat in a non-reinforced slot YIKES. Plus, once they outgrew it, it was used in booster mode, which is awful for almost every child....places the belt right up on the stomach. Also, the straps are twisty as heck.
however,the new AOE has fixed almost all of those issues. It has reinforced the top slots, so they are usable, and HIGH..17.5 inches,as high as anything on the market that is comparable, like the TF, EFTA or Ma. The weight limit is now 50 lbs, which is a crucial extra 10 pounds that, combined with the higher slots, will get many kids to booster age (5-7)before being outgrown, the straps are no longer twisty, it doeshave nice padding and amenities like attachable cupholder. Its has EPS in the headwings and I think the seat itself is SOLID, but I'm not coming from an "only ever used Britax" point of view.
What they are still doing wrong is calling it a 3 in 1 and marketing the stupid booster feature. It still sucks.
The base/installation issue is a subjective one...I've had no issues installing my AOE, I've done a check for a friend with no issues...I actually find it to be a very easy install myself. I also find that it adjusts easily, and is one of the few seats RFing where the adjuster does not get buried in the vehicle seat. Yes, i do have issues getting it to click into the topmost position, but ..well..you just hunker down and pull. how often do you adjust the harness height anyway?

All in all,I have no qualms at all recommending the seat (ONLY the kind with the red pull adjusters..there is a cheaper model where you have to push and pull the headrest up and down manually, and I HATE it..the headrest is shaped differently, and seriously pushes the kids's heads forward, IME....ymmv on that, I guess)

I am actually desperately pining over one right now...lol.....

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The only difference between the TF and TF Premiere is the ARB right? Because if that's the case and I only plan on using the seat FF, I can get the regular one instead of waiting for the premiere. Does anyone know if Target will carry the premiere?
Just curious why you're considering a convertible if you only need a FF seat? What about a Nautilus or a Frontier?

mommycat

i am in the minority that I :love: The AOE seats.......
I will join you in the minority, I actually quite enjoy mine as well (including really liking the puzzle buckles on mine...:eek:). However, I do so knowing the limitations and I did go through a time when I was sorely disappointed to have fallen into their marketing trap. And it also took me a lot of practice to not find the install a pain in the behind. Now that I know HOW to do it, it is not such a big deal.

glockchick

Space. The Nautilus is too big and the Frontier is bigger.

And I just prefer seats that are dedicated to one thing. They seem to do a better job than the one size fits all seats. DS will use DD's seat as back up when she outgrows it so any seat will still get used.

mommycat

Do you mean too big as in, too tall? Because the TF is by no means a skinny seat. I think it is something like 19" (??). If you are looking for a skinny seat, the AOE with the base off would probably be a better choice...

glockchick

Narrow. They have to go in the middle positions with kids on either side, a booster in each row.

The MA works but its a bizatch to buckle the booster next to it.

henrietta

Narrow. They have to go in the middle positions with kids on either side, a booster in each row.

The MA works but its a bizatch to buckle the booster next to it.

Chances are the TF or an EFTA wouldn't fit well then, b/c they are WIDE.

The AOE will be more narrow and more likely to fit, but I don't think it's going to solve your problem of getting your hand down there to buckle in the booster kid. W/the MA, the seat is wider than the base, so there is a space to fit your hand down into to buckle. But the only way you'll know is if you try.

Have you considered a Sunshine Kids Radian? That is very narrow and fits a wide range of kiddos.

henrietta

glockchick

Tried the Radian. Was too hard to install. I decided I'd rather squeeze between the MA than try to install that. :eek:

I guess I'll try the AOE then. If it doesn't work, I'll just stick with the MAs. At least I know they work.

firemomof3

No problem. :)

Thanks firemom. Maybe I'll just skip it then. As an aside, how do you like the Avenue in the background of that pic? I have light weights so I'm really not worried about the weight limit. ;)

I really love my Avenue :love: It has a very tall shell, easy to install. The harness release becomes buried in the vehicle much like the true fit. But, the more I've used it the more I like it. Here is my 3y/o rf in the avenue:
avenue010.jpg

firemomof3

There is plenty of padding, not as much as the Uptown but enough :) She seems very comfortable in it (and she would tell me if was wasn't)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC