Question Outback or Forester?

Tracy

CPST Instructor
Please help me decide what to buy! I'm looking at the Outback and the Forester. 2009 models. I love the way the outback drove, very smooth and handled well. But, the Forester had the turbo engine and man it could get up and go! It was a little bit rougher ride, though. My dh is kind of tall (6'4") and the vehicle has to fit him, so both worked although the forester had much more head room!

I've looked at crash stats for both and they are about equal. What about resale value? Should I look at used before I buy?

For info, my youngest is 15, but I do have two dgs that might ride with me this summer while they are home. Both are RF, dgs1 has a Fisher Price Safe Embrace and dgs2 has a Safe Seat...

TIA!
Tracy

ADS

Tracy

CPST Instructor
chickabiddy -- I didn't even look at that. you would think I would notice that kind of detail considering the work I'm in :(

I noticed you have a 2001 Legacy wagon. how has it been to maintain? any problems? reliable??

Tracy

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
We've been pleased with it. We bought it in 2005 with 55K miles and it now has 89K. It's due for shocks and struts, which won't be cheap, but aren't unexpected either. Other than that, it's been a real workhorse.

Last year I sold a 2003 Forester with 130K miles. I sold it in good working order. I was happy with the car, but was able to get a screaming deal on something much newer with fewer miles and a warranty, so it was a pretty easy choice.

Tracy

CPST Instructor
did you get the good deal on the kia? we looked at those, too, but the rondo didn't have much pickup, and dh couldn't get in the sorento. I really liked the looks of the soul, but it didn't drive very well.

do you like the kia?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I like the Kia just fine, and my 6'2"/250#/all-torso husband can drive it -- he prefers the Legacy, but is not miserable in the Optima.

I should add that my driving is mostly carpools, errands, and a part-time commute from one rural suburb to another (although I did take two road trips this summer and was satisfied), and I am not really a "car person", so my :twocents: may not even be that.

Tracy

CPST Instructor
I am not really a "car person", so my :twocents: may not even be that.

I'm not a car person either, I currently drive a 2000 VW bug, a 1990 suburban and a 2000 suburban. dh has a gmc pickup. dd3 will start driving in december, so we needed another car (for me). You would think I have enough cars, but we usually keep the suburbans parked and just use them for trips, etc. dd1 drives the 1990 sub when she is home... she needs ROOM! for all of her stuff.

I just wanted a car that I would enjoy driving and I could get more than one other person in... ;)

thanks for the info about the subaru, it really helps to talk to someone who owns one.

BananaBoat

We have a 2003 Forester with 108k miles, which we bought 3 years ago at 50k. We turned in our 2001 Forester with 143k for the '03. We will likely never buy a different make than a Subaru as long as we live somewhere that snows - it's that awesome. We've yet to replace anything major on our '03.
The 2009 Subaru is definitely larger than the previous model years. I have also heard it is much more carseat friendly because re-styling that makes the backseat better for installs. We have friends with an Outback & we prefer the Forester because the pick-up is great, it's a bit shorter, great interior height & you can't beat the sunroof - it's almost a convertible!

Tracy

CPST Instructor
I agree, the sunroof is almost like a convertible. I love having the sun shine on me in the car... it really warms me up! I'm leaning more and more towards the forester. Now if I can just convince dh its the one!

daniele_ut

We love our Subaru, but I have spent SO much time fighting with carseats in it that I don't think we'll buy another till our kids are out of seats. It pains me to say that, though! Did I mention how much I love Subarus? My coworker's family owns 5 of them.

As far as looking at used, be aware that the 2009 Forester is a new body style and is larger than previous years. Also, the Outbacks in recent years actually advise against installing seats in the middle. My coworker's wife drives a 2008 Forester and can fit 2 carseats in it, but I've never tried 3. His son's Forester is a 2001 and he also has 2 carseats in his. Mine is a 2001 Outback Sport and we can fit 2 seats, but the install is a PITB with most seats.

pastrygirl

I have a 2001 Forester and love it, though I'd LOVE to trade up for a 2009! I only have one car seat in it and it's been fine, though I think for FF it would be better to have a car seat without a base. The MA would give my son no foot or leg room if I had him outboard. My middle seat doesn't really have a hump. The seat belt stalks ARE all crazy long, and I can't install my MA RF in the center because of those long stalks. I've heard that the seat belt stalks are much shorter now. I met a Consumer Reports rep a few months ago who said the newer Subarus are much more car-seat friendly than they used to be.

I'm hoping to get a bigger car in the next year or so, even if that just means the 2009/2010 Forester, since it's supposedly much bigger than mine. I'd love the turbo!

If you can, I'd test drive both models to a BRU and see how an RF convertible and the SafeSeat install. My BRU is a few miles from the Subaru dealer, so it will be easy to do when I finally get to upgrade. :)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Are you set on a Subaru? If not, and you're looking for something fun to drive and safe, the Acura RDX and Mazda CX-7 are two you should give a test drive. Both get a better score at Informedforlife.org than either of the Subarus (even when I customize the Outback ratings and upgrade the ratings that haven't been assessed by IIHS).

If you liked the Outback better but liked the peppiness of the turbo-charged Forester, it seems that the Outback comes in a turbo version as well. The 2.5XT. Maybe that will give you exactly waht you want!

Last edited:

aries_mama

i'm new here, but came to post a question re: a 2009 forester, so i thought i'd jump onto this thread..

i have read that carseat installs can be difficult in the forester, but also that the 2009 has a larger/wider backseat. i guess the rear hip room measurements are 53.5 inches or so? i know that i will need a radian for my 4 year old dd, but my 1yo son is rf in a decathlon. will i also be able to fit some sort of infant seat? should i plan on having to get 2 radians (1 to replace the decathlon)? basically, has anyone been successful with three across the 2009forester, and if so, which seats?

thanks for your help and expertise!

Heather98012

I haven't owned one, but Seattlites LOVE Subies. I know tons of people that have them, & ALL are in love with them. I don't think you'd go wrong with either option! Let us know what you decide!

Tracy

CPST Instructor
I've decided on the Forester XT Limited... If I can just get a good price here at the dealer. I've been working with a Subie dealer in Colorado Springs, but would really like to buy local if possible.

I did drive the Mazda CX-7 and was all set to buy it, but read the Consumer Reports review that rated it very low. Now I know that isn't necessarily the be-all, end-all of reviews, so I did some research online and didn't like what I was reading about the Mazda, so I struck it from my list... I hope I'm not sorry for that.

Thanks for the help,
Tracy

pastrygirl

Good luck! Check out edmunds.com for tips on negotiating a price -- they have a thread in their forums for 2009 Forester pricing. I parked next to a 2009 the other day and was surprised at how much bigger it looked than my 2001!

aries_mama

Just wanted to update that I was able to successfully install 3 across in an 09 forester..

1 chicco keyfit
1 radian 65 (ff/center)
1 marathon (ff)

I was pretty happy that they all fit! I installed the carseats on our test drive, and we still haven't decided for sure, but now I know that it should work for our family.

pastrygirl

That's great! Are you able to get the MA or RN in rear-facing, since you have a 1-year-old? I can't wait to test drive that car. I keep waiting for my husband to give the green light!

Splash

I have a Forester, and really... I hate the car. Pretty bad, since I knew I wouldn't love it when I bought it, but figured I could live with it. I went with it solely because of the safety and longevity, and everyone I'd met loved theirs.
There, in my mine, is not a single positive attribute to this car outside of the safety. It's uncomfortable, very difficult to put seats in, my son doesn't like it because there is NO room in the backseat. The body roll is bad in it because of the center of gravity. Forget putting a cup in a cupholder, it's gone with the first turn.
The 2009 made some improvements, but when I drove one I found it to be extremely similar despite it's outward appearance.

I wanted to get the Outback, and think I would have been less displeased with that, but was talked into the Forester.

Tracy

CPST Instructor
so I've had my XT for a week now and I am still in love. During the last week, I put about 300 miles on it going from my house to the quilt show, carting the quilt judge around, then taking her to Lubbock to catch a plane... Love the turbo but I hope the gas mileage gets a little better.

Tracy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC